Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Hughlander posted:

The inverse is just as bad. There was a group of leads/architects who insisted that all code should be self-documenting and therefore there isn't a need to comment the code base. One of them for some reason didn't see the irony of saying that at the same time that he's scratching his head over what two functions do and why they're invoked in the order they are. During the code review of said functions that he himself wrote the week before.

Dogmatism of any sort is just bad.

I guarantee the comment would have ended up like this:
code:
foo_setup();  // must setup before init
foo_init();  

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Skandranon posted:

Bitcoin, where honest men launder their cash, and where criminals transfer through banks.

Between 2000-2011, Wachovia/Wells Fargo laundered more from drug cartels ($378B) than Bitcoin's current market cap ($315B). That we know of.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

B-Nasty posted:

Didn't buttcoin also have the equivalent of a split this year with the bitcoin cash nonsense? Anyone holding BTC through that split owes taxes.

I hope the IRS really goes hard after the likely billions of dollars owed and forces a price crash as people desperately try to sell. I've gotten a few love letters from the IRS (small owner/employee in startups), and I do my best to follow the rules. When you get one of those, you better be able to explain how you already paid the taxes or things get ugly fast.

You typically owe cap gains when you sell, and nobody is selling. Also, you can't actually sell bitcoin because the exchanges won't let you cash out anything more than trivial amounts.