Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

the talent deficit posted:

i like one commit per pr, whether you get it from rebasing or from squashing on merge. that way the thing that was reviewed is the thing that was merged and there's no opportunity to revert part of a merge or whatever

That makes commit messages entirely unhelpful, though. I'm not advocating that you leave the random "WIP" messages, but if a PR is only one commit and it touches a bunch of different things how in the world do you know if the work is appropriate?

At current job, on my team, we do light-weight PRs which give you the nice advantage of not having to worry about too many commits (ours average 2-4) and keeping the work scoped to very small changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

I feel kinda bad just going home at 2~3pm whenever I'm in the office, cause there's literally nothing to do on my team right now and my time is better served somewhere other than an office chair if this is how it's gonna go. I know it sounds awful and lazy, but seriously.

I'm gonna lol in a sad way for you when you get put on a PIP because you're "just not putting in the work."

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I like my open office because I'm really friendly with the people who sit near me and the whole office is non-sales or marketing so it's pretty relaxed generally. :shrug:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Or, and my guess is this is more likely because goons, they're the kind of people who can only work in perfect silence and take that deficiency out on coworkers.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

If having your own office is the deciding factor in taking a job or staying with a company then you should probably just leave because there are clearly enough other red flags if that's your sole decision point.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pycharm is an assemblage of plugins and features that are available to the paid version of IntelliJ IDEA.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

love2get inundated with Slack alerts about bugs found in my PRs and side effects from other tickets getting deployed while I'm off for two days to interview at a different company. Real good reminder of why I'm leaving.

Your code not working and being called out for it is a good reminder of why you're leaving? If that's the case, unless the call-out was exceptionally rude you're in for a world of disappointment no matter where you go.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Depends...

Hey @Blinkz0rz I know you're (On Vacation | Puking your head off) But I filed a bug in your code #237894.
@Blinkz0rz You're still not in but PR 329847 finally got deployed so now we can unblock the other thing.

They're not in. It's totally inappropriate to be using a real time communication tool for those purposes. E-mail it or wait till the're in. It's just a dick move sending push notifications if you know the person is going to be inconvenienced by them. (Due to them being sick err on vacation err finding better employment.

I dunno, in my mind that's sort of part of what you get when you put Slack/Hipchat/Flowdock/whatever the gently caress on your phone. You can 100% ignore every single message that comes in while you're out of the office. It's easy. You can even put up OOO statuses in Slack (I'm sure the competitors have the same feature) that changes your notification setting so you don't get bothered unless someone DMs you and even those you can turn off. When I go on vacation I disable Slack notifications entirely at the OS level.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you get annoyed at things that fall in the scope of everyday working life, the problem might be you (Pollyanna) and not the job or coworkers.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Moved to a new team and welp stand-ups are now 15 minutes minimum where we go through currently in-flight tickets and points are time-based with everyone having 20 arbitrarily assigned points per sprint.

Luckily I'm in a position to change this poo poo because goddamn that's bad.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Fwiw I used to work at a shop where I had a windows desktop that had McAfee installed and it chugged whenever I tried to use IntelliJ. Turns out every time IntelliJ tried to execute a jar file, McAfee decompressed it to see if there were any suspicious files in it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

A lazy question is a bad one. That's about it.

Anything else I'd just varying degrees of good and if you're so petulant as to passive aggressively respond to coworkers that ask non-lazy questions you're part of the problem.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Keetron posted:

General question.

Yesterday I gave notice and my mood improved enormously so it was obviously not a good fit. Seeing I work as a contractor, I am used to short term employment and it is somewhat expected. However, this is the third contract I cancel myself over the last 12 months and all for the same reason: "The quality awareness of your team is really low and hiring me as a QA engineer will not magically make your project flawless. All it does is waste your money as the work I do is ignored and belittled as futile."

Over the weekend I realized that I would like to work in a place where my code is appreciated and used.
At the moment, I get hired into projects where a raging dumpster fire is going on in terms of testcode and when asked in interviews, management lies about it or is ignorant with regards to the height of the flames. Maybe only these projects hire contractors to put out the flames? Either way, I do not want to do the job of organisation and culture changes to get the team to take QA some grain of serious. I simply do not have the likable personality for that, nor the skills or desire. Besides, I think nothing will grow on barren ground anyway.

Should I just keep looking for a project that values test code or should I move to be a java develop as the project that values testcode doesn't need a dedicated developer to write that code as the developers do that themselves?

That's been my experience with contractors as a whole; they're firefighters more than anything else. Their job is to right the ship and bring any kind of sanity to process and/or a codebase.

I think you'll find slim pickings if you're looking for contracts where you're not working with garbage code or a team that ultimately doesn't take your advice or simply blames you for their problems.

Just charge more and laugh all the way to the bank.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Even a benign “we don’t have anything for you” is alarming and makes the engineer think they are superfluous and therefore about to be fired. It’s especially bad when it’s a new job. I would even take a large backlog of stuff to do instead of having nothing to do, cause either I work a little more (subject to proper work-life balance) or I stop getting money to live.

From the opposite point of view, filling out a backlog and having enough work for a new hire is actually pretty hard when you're unsure of the full skillset, level of expertise, and how long it will take for that employee to ramp up.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Which is perfectly fair - I’m more thinking of this in terms of how truly a company needs me. For example, at one place I interviewed with today, I dug into exactly what the company needed in terms of head count, skill set, etc. Their response was that they don’t really need an engineer, though they have wants in terms of skill sets and soft skills - they’re aiming for doubling their user base and everything dependent on their next round of funding and that may pan out, but in the short term i.e. now it didn’t seem like they were hurting for a new engineer or anything yet. That made me a little nervous, since there wouldn’t be anything clear to point to when asking the question “why did we hire her?” and makes me feel more superfluous than I am comfortable with. If I get hired, I want to know that I am needed.

Stop interviewing at startups. Go apply for a programming job at the MBTA if you want to do something interesting with good job stability.

e: https://angel.co/massachusetts-bay-transportation-authority-mbta/jobs/117785-software-engineer

Ffs they even ask for Elixir and Phoenix. Weren't you going on a while ago about learning Elixir?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

You're currently unemployed and have been bouncing from job to job where you've never found satisfaction. Maybe don't artificially limit yourself?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

You sound absolutely miserable to work with. Are you that guy who sits in the corner and grunts whenever anyone tries to talk to you?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

leper khan posted:

using Nonsensical.Extraneous.Overly.Verbose.Names.Is.a.Social.Construct.Of.Java.Developers.Not.Required.By.The.Language;

Verbosity is always better because 99% of the time you're writing code for other people to read later.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I had my own office at my last job and while storage space has decreased I don't really find much of a difference between it and my current open office layout.

I like that it's easy to engage my co-workers ad-hoc instead of having to quietly knock on the door in the hopes that they're a) there, b) not on a call, and c) ok with being disturbed.

If I'm really trying to concentrate I'll grab one of the small rooms we have and go heads down for a while.

It's not really a big deal and folks who get up in arms about it just seem weird to me. It's the equivalent to people who join a company because of snacks and ping pong.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

baquerd posted:

If their door was closed, they probably didn't want to be disturbed. Think about that occurrence rate next time you decide to go all open plan collaboratey on heads down engineers and interrupt their flow state in an open plan office.

Thing is, work doesn't happen in a vacuum. No matter how much engineers like to think that they're special, part of their job is to be available for other people; whether it's their boss, a project stakeholder, or a junior engineer who needs help.

Of course, sometimes you just need to go heads down and be left alone but if someone trying to get your attention to ask you a question breaks your flow so much, that's a failing on your part. The ability to multitask and, more importantly, switch contexts is way more important than how fast you can churn out code in isolation.

One of my major bugaboos with the way the tech industry handles interviews and hiring is that it's made"culture fit" a proxy for soft skills like teamwork, communication skills, writing ability, multitasking, etc. rather than a complement. Unfortunately this means we end up with an industry full of technically competent people who can't work with others and lack the basic facilities to adapt themselves to different situations. It's really unfortunate.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Che Delilas posted:

I had a lot typed up but I'll just say I find your statements rather disingenuous. They ignore a lot about what can make an open office lovely, and they assume everyone can or should think and work in exactly the same way.

Of course open offices can be lovely. Just like places where everyone has their own office can be lovely. A terrible workplace is terrible regardless of where you sit and if having a door to close is your only sticking point then you're looking at a terrible place to work without even realizing it.

I stand by my statements about not looking for enough soft skills in hiring. I hate working with people who isolate themselves in order to get work done. It always ends up that their idea of work is drastically different from project management, product management, leadership, and the team's idea of what work actually is.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

It is you, the person that can't do their professional job without any distractions, who is wrong.

e:

leper khan posted:

In every open office I’ve been in, I’ve at varying points been distracted

I want to call this out very specifically. If you are so fundamentally broken that being distracted by personal conversation makes for unpleasant working conditions then the only place you will ever find yourself happy is working a remote job from your home.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

But use slack first instead of doing a drive-by.

That's not how an office works. Part of the contract of having a place to work is that you are there to be available. You don't go to work to sit in isolation and hammer at a keyboard. That's not how any of this works and it astonishes me that some of the folks in this thread seem to think that it is.

quote:

Wanting engaged people doesn't excuse you from forgetting what a calendar is. Schedule things, that's part of your loving job if you are in management.

That's not what we're talking about at all. We're talking about people who have such a tiny attention span or have such a fundamental inability to ignore others that their own work happiness suffers because they get distracted.

Meetings are one thing but I'm not going to schedule 5 minutes with anyone to go over a question or some feedback. If you feel like that's unacceptable then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

Serious question: what would be the problem with hitting up the person you want to talk to on Slack (or even email) with a "hey, I know you're busy, but when you hit a natural stopping point, can we chat for 5." Ideally, the chat could also happen somewhere outside of the earshot of others.

If you're someone's peer and you're interrupting them without consideration, you're probably being a bit of a jerk. If you're their manager, you being a bit of a tyrant.

Why are you assuming it's not sop to slack first?

All I'm saying is that you come to work to do work and part of work is working with others. Isolating yourself to bang out code is only part of your job.

gently caress off. If you're trying to extrapolate effects on working conditions in the tech sector based on the conditions in a Chinese mobile phone factory I don't know what to do with you.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

Why not? Why should anyone respect you if you don't respect them?

You have to be kidding me.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

leper khan posted:

:frogout:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00426-013-0534-4

The literature is very clearly against you. Humans are distractible and open offices are bad.

Your assumption is that distraction is detrimental to work. What I'm trying to get at is that your job isn't only working in isolation.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

vonnegutt posted:

Somehow it seems like the most talented of my former coworkers all have ended up working remotely for large successful companies, and at this point I'm unsure how I ever got anything done in an office environment.

This isn't uncommon. A lot of the folks who are the most talented in terms of raw output are absolute messes when it comes to everything else. I'd much rather hire someone who's well rounded than someone who will pound out lines of code but can't work with others in an office.

quote:

Yes, teamwork and collaboration are important to the rapidly-shifting demands of early product development. However, large stretches of uninterrupted time are usually required to actually build said products. Removing your developer's ability to concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time is a guarantee that the product will take longer than anticipated to build.

Teamwork and collaboration are crucial to continued delivery. If you work for a company where those two things aren't important I'd argue that attitude is far more problematic than whether you're in an open office or not.

Main Paineframe posted:

No, but that doesn't mean I need to hear the person sitting three feet behind me having a discussion about something that's completely irrelevant to me, nor do I need to be interrupted when I'm in the middle of explaining something to someone via Skype messages. Just because communication is part of the job doesn't mean it's ideal to just have everything completely unfiltered.

You have 2 options.

1. Put on headphones
2. Ask the loud folks to lower the volume

Neither of the two are hard.

CPColin posted:

I want to call this out very specifically as being incredibly rude.

:rolleyes:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Keetron posted:

Nobody is disputing this.
However allowing for open offices with the above argument is not a good argument for open offices as there are other ways to allow for collaboration. Ways that are not detrimental to mental health and productivity. I doubt you will disagree with that goal.

I don't disagree at all and I want to make clear that I'll never defend open offices as the solution to all problems.

What I've been arguing is that there are far greater concerns to an organization (and that you should have when looking at a new job) than whether individuals have their own office.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Brain Candy posted:

You don't use slack? Nobody ever says 'give me [5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1hr], I'm in the middle of something'? Everybody loves it when they are in the middle of collaborating and management swings by and you have to halt the world to talk about something else?

You sound like the most insufferable person to work with. When you work in an office you're on company time and part of your job is fielding drop-ins. If you hate it so much then find a remote position.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Clearly there must be a way to allow for collaboration between engineers and not expose them all to sales and marketing never shutting the gently caress up. Opposite sides of a floor, something.

It's weird that this one gets it more than the rest of you.

Open office in and of itself isn't bad. It's that too many companies slap it on as a cure for everything rather than addressing organizational deficiencies like, for example, sales and engineering sitting in proximity.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CPColin posted:

Nice counter argument. I meant it literally, too; when you used that argument, in my eyes, you became much less credible. Your style of argumentation is offensive and, while I see the point you're trying to make, the way you're trying to make it is bullshit.

Not sure what to tell you on this something awful dot com internet forum

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CPColin posted:

"I'm leaving this thread forever!" would be a good start.

No such luck big guy. How about you contribute to the discussion rather than being a white noise poster.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Meh, I have a small team that skews more junior on the experience side of things and I'm more than comfortable avoiding remote workers entirely. It might work fine for other teams but I'm acutely aware of what it would take to successfully support a remote worker when the rest are in the office and no thank you at all. Sorry, not sorry.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

speng31b posted:

A team's ability to support remote workers is a litmus test for its in-office communication, full stop.

If you can't communicate with remote workers, it's a sign that your management style is ad-hoc and reactionary rather than planned and deliberate. This style of management is not scalable and always on the verge of breakdown. It can appear to be working if you have a handful of people constantly walking around and getting status updates from everyone throughout the day, but this is bad for the overall productivity of both the manager and the workers involved (presumably this manager has some personal responsibilities aside from walking around and checking with people at their desks constantly).

This isn't to say that everyone needs to hire remote workers - there are still great reasons to focus on having people onsite. But if the main/sole reason for not hiring them is that you're worried about communications, that's problematic.

You are 100% wrong. Team composition matters a lot as to whether a team can support full time remote workers. If I had a few more senior engineers I'd be much more comfortable with it but at the end of the day, for us, it's a maturity issue more than anything else.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

how many remote teams have you been a part of? my experience is that remote works when teams are managed well and falls apart when managers expect remote workers to take on the burden of communication. every well managed team i've been on could handle remote people

I've been on a 40/60 remote team and, at a previous job, worked about 30% remote. I know what's required both from an IC perspective as well as a management perspective because I've seen where it falls apart on both sides.

Personally, I would rather have my current team in its current state work out of the same office and would only hire remote if I was really crunched for labor or was hiring for an extremely specific set of skills.

I don't say this because I doubt my own management skills or feel like the company can't support remote workers. I say this because I don't think the team is mature enough, both in terms of process as well as individually, to make 100% remote work effectively. In the future I'm sure we could get there but I don't really see the point. It's not like we're short on talent or hurting to recruit.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah but the point is that if your team was competently managed there really shouldn't be any barrier to having full time remote team members. if you rely on in person discussion and face to face meetings to get poo poo done it means you're not adequately putting process and expectations in place and you're relying on oral tradition instead of documentation. that's lovely management, not immature team members

There's the ability to do a thing and then there's the desire. I just don't want to deal with a remote worker. Full stop.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Mniot posted:

It's not
code:
no remote work => lovely management
it's,
code:
lovely management => no remote work

Lol there are so many reasons a team may not want remote workers. Attributing it to lovely management is lazy as hell and makes you look completely out of touch.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Volguus posted:

There are indeed many reasons. the talent deficit listed a few. There is only one valid reason though: legal/compliance. Even that one can probably be taken care of if there's a will, but usually is probably not worth the effort. The rest are easily dismissed without a second thought.

Disagree 100%. Dismissing concerns over employee maturity and team process is one of those things that people who think their poo poo doesn't stink do. I'm glad if remote works for you but I wouldn't hire you if that's your sticking point. Sorry, not sorry.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

baquerd posted:

So you'd rather have immature employees that can't follow processes than someone who wants to work remote?

No, I'd rather develop a team and mature them before I take on the additional requirements of a remote worker.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Your argument continues to basically boil down to "Remote work is bad because I don't like it and also my particular team is Not A Mature Team" (whatever "Not A Mature Team" is even supposed to mean here), so, uh, I guess it's good that we're not working together. Maybe rig up an air horn to blast whenever someone gets a commit into master, because only True Developers work there and they are all immune to losing flow from distractions so it's really just a fiesta!

Look back through my posts. At no point did I say that remote work was bad. What I said are 2 things:

1. Turning down a job because of an open office is dumb because, generally, they're not bad although they can be if they're treated as a panacea for organizational problems.

2. I wouldn't hire remotely for my team because a) we're pretty new and b) the composition of the team is pretty junior; less than 3 years of experience except for me.

Also please don't commit to master. Just don't do it. Please.

team process is exactly what we're talking about; if you have functional process and good communication remote is no big deal. if you need everyone scurrying from desk to desk to figure out what's going on you are bad at your job

Let me give you another example of team process. My boss used to be a bit of a micromanager and only very recently let me run sprints for my own team. We're still refining our process and moving from time-based tickets (sad and bad) to complexity-based.

Until our team's process is built up I can't support the additional burden that a remote worker brings. But again, that's an organizational issue which is what we've been talking about.

Basically this:

Maluco Marinero posted:

This feels like a case where people are totally not addressing the modifiers that tip the decision towards remote or not. If you’re involved in a lot of design discussions, supporting juniors, collaborating cross disciplines, it’s a lot harder to do those things effectively in a remote situation.

Pure technical roles where it is far easier to perform your work self sufficiently for larger periods of time benefit greatly from less interruption, and don’t need all that surplus communication bandwidth being on site affords.

To assume that the choice to allow for remotes or not doesn’t have tradeoffs in team building, processes and work output is kind of naive or stubborn. This isn’t to say you can’t have some roles remote and some not, but more the point is these you don’t do your points any help by disregarding the tradeoffs that exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

It sounds like you're violently agreeing, then? Everyone else is saying "remote work should be just fine with good processes, a competent team, and decent management", and you're responding with "well, our processes suck, our team sucks, and our management sucks, so remote work doesn't work for everyone".

Read Maluco's post:

Maluco Marinero posted:

This feels like a case where people are totally not addressing the modifiers that tip the decision towards remote or not. If you’re involved in a lot of design discussions, supporting juniors, collaborating cross disciplines, it’s a lot harder to do those things effectively in a remote situation.

Pure technical roles where it is far easier to perform your work self sufficiently for larger periods of time benefit greatly from less interruption, and don’t need all that surplus communication bandwidth being on site affords.

To assume that the choice to allow for remotes or not doesn’t have tradeoffs in team building, processes and work output is kind of naive or stubborn. This isn’t to say you can’t have some roles remote and some not, but more the point is these you don’t do your points any help by disregarding the tradeoffs that exist.