Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

No but seriously, I would really like some advice on getting middle management at a dinosaur of a company on board with agile. The team isn't much of a problem - it's only two or three of us - but I can't help but worry that our product owner/manager dude is totally ignoring the concept of "working with the customer", and a lot of assumptions are being made. We've already got wireframes, which is fine, but those need to be translated into a prototype or we won't be able to tell if we're going in the right direction or not. :psyduck:

All I know is that I gotta push for change, and the company seems to be willing, cause they're being threatened by newer companies who are in a prime position to take their share of the market, and they hate that, so they're looking for a way to get their edge back.

The non-joke answer is to gain enough experience to know how to manage upwards, build consensus among key team members, then just start doing poo poo the way it should be done and use your built-up social and technical capital to make the team follow. Then act like it's always been done this way and why are you rocking the boat now coworker peon Bob and/or manager PHB Stacy? The sheep will follow.

You can build a poo poo-ton of capital by looking for highly desired features that haven't been delivered yet then doing them on your own without telling anyone (thus no opportunities to gently caress it up or say no). It requires doing a poo poo-ton of homework, being able to put on your designer and product hats, and making absolutely sure you are delivering something of high value to the business. You also need to reveal it in the appropriate context (eg where the sales team or CEO sees it before middle management can claim credit for it or squash it). Watch for people who want to hitch themselves to your success-wagon and use them to legitimize the process (eg the PM who feels frustrated and knows you can get things done; your next cowboy feature then becomes an official feature "requested by product").

This is expert-level managing upwards and I don't recommend it until you have a lot of experience. If done right you can essentially rebuild the entire team and its culture over time, without ever holding official power. You can use that to transition into management if you like.

This works equally well at a 100k+ employee software company and a small startup. If you make something great, all sins are quickly forgiven.*

* If you make garbage the blowback will be epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Destroyenator posted:

This may work for some people in some places but as a junior level new hire this won't be possible for you. Your best hope is that someone more senior (either technical or management) feels the same way and you can be a positive vote for them. If someone asks you what you think then "you've read about some ideas for process but haven't worked with then yourself, but you would love to hear what they think about this article/link/whatever". This is all down to your lack of professional experience, when you've got three or four years and a few projects under your belt you'll be able to make more impact.

Don't do this. Going dark and working on your own poo poo is really bad, it shows a huge lack of respect for the rest of your team and the management processes in place. You will either succeed and piss off the people around you and the people who're currently setting your priorities, or you will fail and have wasted a bunch of time and piss off the same people. Either way you'll be seen as someone who can't work in a team or follow simple instructions.

There are so many ways this goes wrong, and the fantasy that you'll do some reveal to C-level and they'll all think you're a diamond in the rough and make you the new management is a joke.

Everything in its measure; you can't be cowboy all the time. That's why I said it's an expert level technique. I never said they'd make you the new management after a reveal. You have to build credibility which takes a long time. You may also be working for morons in which case you just survive it, possibly for the experience, then move on.

And I definitely don't want to be known as a developer who just follows simple instructions. I want to be known as a 10X developer who is passionate about what I work on and makes the product and the team better.