Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fellatio del Toro posted:

while i do think that its generally good for human beings to feel like they are being productive and accomplishing things, it may also be a good idea to disentangle your personal happiness and sense of self worth from your job at least to the degree that you aren't minmaxing productivity to a five minute granularity and allowing a meeting to imprint lasting emotional damage onto walls and furniture

This is easier for some people than it is for others.

Sort of the same way that some people are better at WFH or WFO than others!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

prom candy posted:

setting a slack status when you're going to be a away for a while is a courtesy, i don't really mind doing it

I'm not 15 and work slack isn't ICQ.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

prom candy posted:

i feel like if my default way of existing is "you can expect a fairly quick response from me on slack unless my status says otherwise" then it will encourage people to slack me when they need a fairly quick response. if my default way of existing is "you can never know when to expect a fairly quick response from me on slack" it will encourage people to call me, which i very much want to avoid

Your main issue here is having a phone number available to your coworkers, or even having a phone available. In this, I cannot help you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

But if they are not there to answer the message, who is there to receive the call?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

Thread, today I honest-to-god read the documentation for a library update that I wanted to make sure I was using right

And then I went back to just searching directly for the answers to what I wanted to do because the documentation still didn't tell me how to do it

Reading docs properly is for suckers, search for snippets erryday :yayclod:

* Some limitations may apply.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

the most notable thing AI has done for me is that one of my coworkers uses it to generate the most loving worthless pull request descriptions that just itemize every change he made in a file with zero context on why the hell he was changing anything

love to read the equivalent of SEO spam drivel in PRs and JIRA tickets

Murder is permissable in this scenario

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The term is "being in hell" and I'm hoping you escape

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

StumblyWumbly posted:

Are you familiar with how dogs will piss on the same tree to show they're on top?
Pull Requests work the same way

Imagine four developers pissing off the edge of a cliff, development works the same way

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

The probably of this being your place of work hits an inflection point the moment you hire a project/product manager and increases exponentially with every new hire from there. Each addition to the PMO increases the exponent

Possibly, but good PMs/PgMs will act as bullshit umbrellas in the same way that good managers do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CPColin posted:

I got a "we just went through them while onboarding (Coworker), so they should be pretty up-to-date" in regard to some setup docs. Then I tried to follow them and they were poo poo. Then I didn't fix them :twisted:

Having a new person write down all the places they got stuck and where the docs deviated from what they got told to actually do has been a pretty good way to audit onboarding instructions.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

MBAs will do anything to not pay down tech debt

Any MBA born after 1993 can't manage... all they know is charge they laptop, "work," be business , cause tech debt and lie

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Testing in production without testing in production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lyesh posted:

We just migrated our tiny server instance to atlassian's cloud, and it's very funny/sad to me how "cloud" is probably going to become a swear-word in healthcare pretty soon. All the HIPAA stuff is on, so we aren't dealing with the AI crawler thank god. But at some point I fully expect someone in the US federal government to see how fast and loose cloud providers play with server locations and the like. There's an absolute treasure trove of HIPAA data stored overseas and both parties love nothing if not trumped-up xenophobic nonsense. Encryption helps, but with the level of intrusiveness some of the services from the last decade have, your org is putting itself at the mercy of Amazon's willingness to do anything to save a nickel for your physical server security.

Like, wouldn't it be cool if that terrifying CCP happened to find Biden's health record and sent it to FoxNews?

Hey, remember when every federal employee's PII was stolen and the response was...

I'm not optimistic until someone very important ends up very embarrassed.