Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You may want to go to your own manager too for backup, before sticking your foot into a pile of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PT6A posted:

How do you get up to 10KLOC in a single class unless your design is extremely subpar?

Android PackageManagerService.java

20,935 loc

There's some fun stuff in AOSP

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

See if you can angle for a Señor developer position if you feel unqualified to be a Senior developer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I hope you forwarded that message to the CTO with the message "and this is why"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

piratepilates posted:

What do people mean when they say they test for team fit? It's been a while since I went for interviews and I don't remember much about seeing if I fit in to a team. What would that even be? Making sure the person isn't an rear end in a top hat, or expecting everyone to be wearing suits at the company?

How white, male, and young are you, or can you pass for?

It's supposed to be how well you'll get along with and work with your new prospective team, but ultimately seems to be a way to make a monoculture more than anything else.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

This is not ameliorated by the fact that my first real dev job was at a bank that used SVN, and so sometimes just pulling would break everything to the point that I'd just wipe everything and start from scratch.

My college never taught (and still doesn't!) any sort of source control, and my first job used Visual Source Safe 6.0. Atomic file locking to "check out" files. Need to change a file someone else has checked out? Send them a snippet of changes and ask them to put it in there while they're working. Tests? Why bother, you can just step through your debug print statements. I was the first person there to try using a debugger instead of just reading entrails logs.

At my next job, I asked the tech lead what happened when two people edited the same file at once with SVN, wouldn't someone's changes get overwritten? I think I just got a patronizing smile and "that doesn't really happen, don't worry about it."

I have spent a lot of time unlearning things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What's really fun is when you realize that git rebase -i allows you to not just modify your commit ordering, but add and remove arbitrary commits, including commits by branch name and other label types

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

You may remember me as the guy with the boss everyone hated.

Some of his bad habits have rubbed off on the underlings, resulting in a Serious Fuckup in production on Friday. Fridays are big for us, we generally don't touch production, as we want all our systems and automation to run over the weekend without issue. The coworker in question was developing on the production

The fact that this did not end with "and was severely reprimanded/fired" means that you should eject because there's no hope for the future while these kinds of clowns are around.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

That's an insult, not a gift.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

We are Tools, and we Get poo poo On By Management.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

why is the button all the way over there now aaargh

Boy do I have a mug for you!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

A lot of software development is pretty much just business plumbing

Heaven knows that when something goes wrong, poo poo starts spewing everywhere

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Iverron posted:

What if you've never had QA despite much protest and still have quarterly meetings about "reducing bugs" anyway?

:shepicide:

Then you're already in hell.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sorry but for my own sanity it's time to :yotj:, this is awful. Question is whether or not to try and hold out till I get my yearly bonus.

Get whoever is going to hire you to give the bonus to you as a signing bonus, so that you don't pick a start date that's too late for them. I had the same dilemma, "idk I've kind of got a lot of unvested stock that's going to come due over the next few years" and the recruiter just immediately matched it.

That poo poo was fantastic.

Point is, it's cheaper for them to just vomit money into your account than to wait for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mezzanine posted:

Anything either in the Orlando area, or remote.

How are you on relocating?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Work's now scheduling the two-day "lock-everyone-in-a-hotel-conference-room-and-make-them-code-our-website" codeathons in a city 2~3 hours away from me for twice a month now until the site gets deployed. Still no word on how we're compensated for the hotel rooms. :shepface:

Pollyanna posted:

I've wondered if I'm just too sensitive to bullshit

This is not a thing that a healthy company does. Sever at your very first opportunity.

Mezzanine posted:

Yeah I have about 5 years of experience with both iOS (not recently as much, so I need to brush up on Swift) and Android. Web stuff is mostly Rails and various JS frameworks, PHP for backend, y'know. All of my professional experience in Japan, though, so I know basically nothing about Agile and such, which would probably be a big handicap when coming onto a team over here.

Mezzanine posted:

Well, drat... right now my gross is around 40~50, so as long as it's not that low I could probably stomach it.

You could make 6 figures easily if you were willing to relocate, even for contract work. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to have to scrape around for remote contacting work instead, so work on networking with other people in the industry for leads.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Everyone else has already posted pretty well, but I'd like to also point out that in the US, there's no laws giving mandatory time off. There are national holidays, but those rules only affect non-exempt workers (so basically no computer people). If you're salary exempt, your company could theoretically demand that you work every single day, weekends included, with no time off whatsoever.

A national outrage right now is that the salary exempt (exempt from labor laws due to "high" wages) laws mean that you can make someone a "manager", tell them to work 60-80 hours a week, and basically pay them minimum wage without any benefits, and they should be glad because at least they have a job. Last year, Obama doubled that salary level required to be exempt, but a federal judge in Texas ruled that the DOL does not actually have federal jurisdiction over this (?!?!) which halted that rule change. Trump's election all but kills any possibility of this ruling being challenged.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sarehu posted:

In other words "I have opinions but they're religious and I can't articulate them on a rational basis."

Alternately, "I realized that my time is more valuable than writing up well reasoned responses to shitposts"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

B-Nasty posted:

My favorite PTO plan I've had is at my current (not for long) employer: 22 PTO (first year, more at 3yrs); available at the start of the year, no carryover (except special exclusions), no payout, and you must take 5 consecutive days at some point in the year.

I like that approach because it encourages everyone to use their PTO. There's no incentive to "bank it", and I don't have to do dumb accrual calculations to determine how many days I have available at any given point.

The problem with not allowing carryover is that it turns December into the month of "use it or lose it", as people have banked PTO days that they're saving for sick days, except that no one has gotten sick enough to use those days, so suddenly the entire company shuts down for the last week of December as half of the workforce says "Welp, may as well take the last week off too". The opposite is true too, of course. If you misjudge how often you'll get sick and use too much time for vacation, now you have to come in sick, and infect everyone else, since you're not allowed to stay home, and you're not allowed to go negative.

My last job didn't offer to carry over vacation days either, offering a half-baked explanation about benefits accounting for tax purposes as the reason (even though the parent company allowed it). I think they finally relented and started offering a limited carry over. Surprise surprise, some people actually stuck around in December to get things done.

On the plus side, I've entered my 3rd year at my current job, so my vacation days have gone up from 15 to 20 per year :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Keetron posted:

Lesson learned: nobody can work on anything that is not in git, ever. If someone is not a teamplayer and willing to share, fire them immediately. If management won't do that, either ignore the problem and end up like a boiled frog or leave.

This is really important. It's 2017, there's no excuse for this anymore. Git means that you can put a remote branch anywhere with no issues. Even if you're concerned about how your code looks, having it backed up somewhere is paramount just in case your local machine does.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tell them "Hey, time for standup" unless you feel like making it a management problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HardDiskD posted:

*tugs collar*

Please no

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But can I pay to win?

You have to win to get paid

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

The highest three officers/managers in our organization got fired today. :stare:

Blood for the c levels, skulls for the scapegoat throne :black101:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Seriously, talk to your PM. Their whole job is cat herding people while continuously updating plans and estimates. Have the PM broach it to your manager if you're afraid to, but really your manager probably wants to know.

If they're any good, they'll know how to quietly ask around and see if your lead developer really is loving off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

curufinor posted:

Last job, at a tiny little startup, I expensed a box to sit in with laptop.

The whole point is that the cat sits in the box, not you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

They're also putting us right next to customer support, because when they can't figure something out it's too much of a burden to walk 50 feet to the other side of the building to talk to one of the devs (or, you know, send an email or talk to us via Slack which we all have). What's that? Constant ringing phones with no walls or distance to mitigate the sound at all are a nightmare for the devs? gently caress YOU.

They actually pushed for everyone using a single monitor because "more monitors isolate you." Dev department head had to kick and scream to get them to back off on that so we probably aren't even going to be able to arrange ourselves in own section the way we want. Shoulder-to-shoulder in the center of the room, basically, and if they don't let us rearrange it ourselves then I'm probably just gone at that point.

There's no reason to ignore the devs' input on the layout (especially in our own section, jesus gently caress) this completely if they want us to do actual work. I'm more than half convinced it's pure theater, they're going to bring in some money that thinks they know what a small development company should look like and try to get us bought.

God I'm so pissed.

Eject! Eject!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

Right now? It's interesting work, they're flexible about hours (meaning both that we can start & end the day when we want AND they don't bitch about a less-than-40-hour-workweek), we have choices about what we work on (meaning who takes which feature and we can decide to inject our own work into the schedule if it's something we need to do or will help us), all of my co-workers including my direct boss are pretty great people, we can work from home when we feel like it, and the office is an environment that's generally conducive to getting poo poo done.

That's... sort of the minimum for a good tech company, not outstanding. I expect all of these things, I don't get delighted by them.

Maybe I'm just spoiled at this point?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

Lot of bad tech companies out there though, which is why I have been content (don't believe I used language that implied I was delighted with them) to stay where I am. But again, dark clouds on the horizon.

Yes, but you can also be content at a place that won't underpay you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Portland Sucks posted:

Last summer I picked up an internship with a pretty large raw material manufacturing company in their R&D department. I worked as an intern under one of their senior EE's who is more or less their senior systems guy. The whole R&D group is comprised of engineers, a few PhD chemists, and engineering technicians. The guy I worked for and his colleague make up what is essentially their systems automation/data analysis/DBA/etc... shop that supports the efforts of the rest of the R&D staff as well as automation in the production environment.

I ended up getting a full time offer that I accepted on at the beginning of the year. The compensation is great for my area, and I feel like I'm a good fit for the culture at the company.

With that being said, I'm the first full time CS major they've hired and, according to the executive of our department, will probably not be the last. This essentially puts me in a position of being able to sort of build our development shop's operations (obviously with some oversight from my boss) and the prospect is a little overwhelming. As it stands the two guys that I worked with during my internship have for the last 10 years or so managed all of their own servers/DBs/code by just sort of picking the simplest method and sticking with it. No version control, no differentiation between production and development environments. Typically their problems have been solved by justifying new hardware/software purchases through the department budged and just throwing money at it until it works.

I'd like to be able to come in with a loose framework of a plan to at least develop a system that I can work under and once we start hiring more CS people (they've already been given approval to hire another summer intern) expand upon.

The primary things I know I'll be doing on a regular basis are data warehousing, web development for our data visualization platform, and C#/.NET application development for the labs. On top of that, during the interview process our department executive wanted to stress that he is very interested in incorporating data mining/ML (he was heavy on the buzz words) into their processes. They recently spent a good deal on acquiring a SAS license.

This industry, and this company in particular, moves slow so I'm not stressed out about trying to wrangle all of this at the same time or within the first year. Likewise, I was told during the interview (and observed first hand during my internship) that the company very much treats their R&D staff as independent agents who are generally responsible for initiating their own projects and managing essentially a priority queue of requests from other R&D staff and production engineers.

As far as the data mining/ML thing goes I've taken a few stats classes, AI, data mining, and a natural language processing course and feel comfortable with the general concepts. I've been looking around at commonly used python libraries, MATLAB, and a few other options for building predictive models. We have a ton of data, but it is structured pretty poorly at the moment. From what I've read SAS seems to be on the decline, and is probably not actually cost effective at the stage we're at right now (ground zero)?

If anyone has any advice on setting up a development shop in an R&D environment, or generally working in an environment like this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Do you have actual buy in from management for force changes, such as "no code that's not checked in makes it to production, check in is gated by a build server, code reviews are mandatory" or are you going to be spackling layers of "machine learning" on top of the wild west?

Che Delilas posted:

Of course I can have better, but as I keep saying there's risk involved that so far I haven't been willing to take, how is that hard to understand?

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than us.

Of course there's risk, but there's also a risk that you'll continue to stagnate and you'll eventually miss out on six or more figures of potential income that you squandered because you were afraid that you'd go from a shop that's possibly going to turn bad to one that's bad but strangely also pays well and understands that churn is expensive.

I'll admit that I did end up with that job briefly, but then I got out after less than a year and became much happier (and better paid) at the next one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

Cool, he can totally stick it to those upper management types! Ha! Oh, and the folks he's been in the trenches with for months or years are going to suffer the loss, and if he can give them 4 weeks instead of 2 to cover ramping them up on his work he's not completely loving those colleagues who had nothing to do with the bad management. You seem to give a lot of advice for your relative level of experience, have you been the domain expert leaving a team short staffed? Can you relate specifics of that experience?

Over the span of a month, I and about 1/3 of the development team left the local branch of the company I was working at. I heard from the people left behind that a light bulb went off in the heads of the site management that maybe they can't actually treat the staff like they were and expect them to stick around. Suddenly conditions started improving and people weren't required to work late nights and weekends.

Don't be a martyr for the people staying behind. They'll be ok.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's less a matter of my own genius and more the years of experience with a very complicated, undocumented system with loads of gotchas. Just last week a team implemented something incorrectly that cost us ~$100k - a lesson we learned years ago (back before the band broke up and cost a good bit less). Management is paying the price for new people to learn the same lessons we already learned, and that's on them.

One guy on my team is already aware I'll be leaving soon and I'm pretty sure he's also looking for the door, which leaves the company lifer and some recent team additions in different geographies without any expert domain knowledge. It's gonna be a rough time for them.

I can definitely relate to the feeling of relief after putting in notice. At my last place I went to a going-away thing for me and a couple other people and more than a few people remarked they had never seen me so happy.

Sounds like the company is going to understand what the end result of "we don't have time for documentation and refactoring, don't you understand that we need to launch <new dumb feature xyz>" is, which remains NOT YOUR FAULT and not a reason to stick around or get maudlin about what you're doing.

2 weeks is a courtesy, to give them time to transition. If they need more than 2 weeks, they can either give you a very expensive reason to stick around, or they can just deal with the fact that they had crappy planning.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Neco posted:

Okay now I am curious. Do workers in IT in the US usually get two / a few weeks' notice when they get fired and the employer doesn't absolutely have to (legally)? I guess I have only heard about gross misconduct where people are (understandably) fired on the spot.

Do people who have the ability to turbofuck an organization get the chance to act spitefully when they're informed that five years of hard work are being rewarded with a layoff and MAYBE unemployment benefits because someone wants a new Porsche and sees IT as a cost center?

Really, just ask "what would a psychopath with no constraints on its behavior do" and you'll probably have the answer to what corporate America would do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You'll also see at that level "so and so has decided to leave and devote more time to their family".

:airquote:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hughlander posted:

That's not the discussion point though. The discussion is the alleged state law that you have to keep fluid enough funds to payout 100% of the paid time off of 100% of the employees in case every last one quits the same instant. It's not about base payroll.

I think the point was that a company with 20 people that has trouble keeping 200k ready is a company that's not long for this world anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Strategically, how would one start a programmers' union in the US?

With VC cash and in the Bay area, same way you start a programmer's anything else in the US.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That's nice, we actually indicted someone for this.

Of course it was a rando low level outsourcing firm instead of a large company that would have actually sent a message, but it's the thought that counts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dirk Pitt posted:

Interactive rebase and force push changed my life. No more messy one line commit messages post code review.

Unless you're pushing to your own personal feature branch, that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Interactive rebase is the absolute best, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dirk Pitt posted:

I thought that pushing to feature branches was understood before a push to master. I am on a team with a few other senior devs and we trust each other to address comments in a code review, while still approving the work as a whole.

Sounds like you work for a decent company with source control hygiene, so good on you :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wilderthanmild posted:

I feel like I have no idea what agile really is, but I am pretty sure that most of the people I work with don't either. I guess we're supposed to have daily stand-up meetings, involve subject-matter experts and stakeholders in the process/meetings, and do incremental releases quite frequently. I don't think any of those things are happening.

You do, however, have a great idea of what agilefall is now.