Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Are you offering WFH? I'd take a lower salary for a 5-day WFH workweek.

I was actually coming in here to ask about this... how would one evaluate the value of WFH.

The company I'm currently at offers WFH short of maybe 1-2 times a month for meetings. However my salary has been somewhat iffy. Looking for jobs most don't really state if they're offering WFH or not so I assume if it doesn't say anything that they're going to make me go into an office.

This is obviously subjective but trying to figure out how much I'd take over having to work in an office/commute.

Just my back of napkin evaluation: My current commute is about 30 minutes (all public transportation, maybe 10 minutes of it is walking), so an hour commute both ways. Let's say 50 week work year, 5 days a week, that's 250 days, 250 hours to commute.

Say for the sake of argument let's say I value my time at $20/hour. That's $5000 worth of my time I'm spending traveling. On top of that having to sit in an office building.. say I demand a 10% premium per hour. $20*0.10*8*250.. That's another $4000 right there.

So basically the formula I've set in my mind is 250*X*Y + 250*X*0.10*8. Where X is my hourly value, Y is daily commute time.

Obviously accounting for how much at a minimum of a premium I'd want, etc... does that feel about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Harriet Carker posted:

$20/hour seems like an insanely undervalued estimate.

I took a roughly 25% pay cut for full-time WFH at a remote-first company and I haven’t regretted it for even one second.

i'm just doing that because i didn't want to have to keep representing it as "$X" while i was talking about it. it's just so i can use it as an example. but also..

Volmarias posted:

Accurate pricing of your own free time is difficult, because you (probably) do not have a money factory that you can input arbitrary time into for some specific rate.

which is why while i wouldn't say my time is only worth $20/hr it's not exactly my salary hourly rate either. that obviously is something else worth considering.

Che Delilas posted:

For me each additional hour I spend at work (or devoted to it - a commute on even comfortable public transit is still time out of my life I have to dedicate to work) is more precious than the last. It goes up exponentially.

As a thought experiment, let's say you had to work+commute 16 hours, and sleep 8, each day. No time for any hobbies, no time for family, can't go out for any reason, can't improve your prospects through education. How much would it be worth to you to suddenly get 1 hour of free time each day? I would venture to say "priceless." On the other hand, If you only worked 1 hour a day and suddenly had to work 2, that doesn't really impact your ability to do anything you want to do outside of a work context.

Before remote became a thing, I was probably willing to give up at least a couple of tens of thousands of dollars in order to keep a walking commute to the office. I paid the price in higher rent, though I didn't reach my limit. That's me though; everyone's limit is personal and also depends on your environment and your current economic situation (it may be more valuable to you to save aggressively, and accept the loss of free time, for example), so there's no real good benchmark that can be widely applied.

right, i can't really write a heuristic for every single person's schedule but thinking of a base line for a "normal" work schedule seems good. at least for me to think about it in those terms.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah Teams Updated and made me reenable my mic/camera etc.. It's also slower than the previous version

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ChatGPT has been a godsend for generating CMake files and answering questions about that. Also C++ related questions

Honestly because Google has such poo poo results now you can't really turn to it for specific advice. I basically ask ChatGPT and if I'm not sure how right it is I have more specific keywords to lookup on Google that hopefully lead me to the right place.

I don't like Copilot as much because it uses live URLs and what it spits back is often based off answers in Stack Overflow. Like it'll repeat a lot of stuff like, "I don't know if there are better solutions" and when I click on the references there it's a link to SO where someone commented that exact phrase.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

I saw a horrifying view of the future in a Reddit question the other day:

“Does anyone have any good resources on software version n-1? ChatGPT doesn’t know about version n yet.”

i dunno seems like an opportunity to read up on version N of the software and charge large consulting fees for the company to be able to use that version.