Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Paolomania posted:

I really don't agree. Opinions stated loudly are not the same as concrete points with rationale and evidence and it feels like some people here are conflating (or perhaps straw manning) criticism with being loud and overbearing and perhaps abusing a postion of power. Critique is not inherently any of these things even if lovely people masquerade these things as critique. Feedback like "this design breaks backwards compatibility and will not work with our phased rollout process" is something that needs to be said and it needs to be said early in design before a whole bunch of people put in a whole bunch of effort into something that is going to fall flat on its face when you try to launch.

You've never dealt with someone insisting that their awful idea is great in the face of facts and evidence? And everyone else being slowly worn down until they stop fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MisterZimbu posted:

17bc39ef 2021-04-14 16:21.49: testing yaml change
91b3aa23 2021-04-14 16:43.27: testing yaml change
21ccde34 2021-04-14 17:19.11: testing yaml change
81f3199c 2021-04-14 17:42.16: gently caress azure devops

I've been begging the product team for a way to locally test yaml pipelines for literally years and they keep saying it's a good idea but they never implement it.

Probably because they're all transitioning to the github actions team.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

Having gotten experience with WFH, I learned I go completely stir crazy if I work from home every day. It has its advantages but I also really really miss the spontaneous brainstorms we'd get at the coffee machine.

My work is doing a thing where you can come into the office occasionally after getting permission from your manager, to make sure there aren't too many people at once. So currently I go to the office like one day every couple weeks.

It should open up more once the vaccinations get going. What'll probably end up happening is that everyone just gets a free choice - work from home 100% of the time, part of the time, or spend all working hours in the office. And it looks like most people are a fan of a combination of some office days and some home days each week.

And that sort of freedom to choose seems like the best solution to me. I would certainly leave any company that forces me to WFH 100% of the time after the pandemic is under control.

A big part of it is company/team culture when it comes to WFH communication. I still have spontaneous brainstorms with my colleagues despite us living thousands of miles away from each other. It just starts with an IM that says "this poo poo sucks" and leads to a video call instead of bumping into them in the break room.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

chglcu posted:

I absolutely hate that “wear headphones” is the answer to focusing in open offices. Headphones make me constantly worried someone is standing behind me, and I can’t use them, even at home alone, unless my back is to a wall.

And I can't listen to music while I'm focusing because I find it distracting, so for me it would be literally listening to a white noise generator. If you think about it like that, wearing headphones is a lovely solution to the root cause of the environment being too noisy.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Paolomania posted:

My ideal tool is one that teaches you how to use it - e.g. the menu system that shows you the keyboard shortcuts, or the GUI wrapper that displays the command lines it is executing. This lack of discoverability is why I am never totally sold on emacs as i get sick of typing meta-x-apropos-what-the-hell-does-emacs-call-this-behavior.

I’ve always used this to teach people:

https://learngitbranching.js.org

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I remember using this at my old job which was a C# shop. It was super nice to be able to manage tickets in the VSTS UI too. Well, until they migrated us to Azure DevOps and broke that somehow.

Microsoft deprecated work item management in Visual Studio starting in VS 2019. There may still be an option to turn it back on buried somewhere in the settings.

It didn't make sense for them to maintain two separate rendering engines (one for web, one for client) when they were transitioning to a platform-agnostic model.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Jamming a group of people who don't collaborate into a "team" and making them do Agile is the loving worst and has happened to me in two different jobs. It's about to happen to me as part of a reorg at my current job and I'm strongly pushing back.

My boss asked me if I'm on any kind of sprint schedule and I asked why I would do that when I'm the only developer working in my area. Sure, lemme just add ceremony overhead that nobody is paying attention to, okay. Same reason all my commits have been straight to master since like a month into this job, when I realized nobody would ever review my code.

Even if you're working alone it still makes sense to have a backlog and some small degree of process and organization. For exactly the reason you're encountering: You can get away with more poo poo when you're working alone but it makes it hard for other people to jump in and help or pick up where you left off if you're unavailable. Also being able to tie "we've had a problem sneaking past us for 3 months" to "here's what I was working on 3 months ago"

Also being able to justify and quantify the work you do is important when it comes time to discuss career path and salary bumps. This is not a good conversation to have:
"What did you do this year? Why do you want more money?"
"Uh I don't know I wrote a bunch of code and I think it helped? And I probably fixed more bugs than I introduced."

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: I'd love to be working but my calendar is full of useless status meetings that take up 5 hours of my day and the gaps between status meetings don't give me enough time to do any real work

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

leper khan posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on moving into management when I hit 75% of my time booked in meetings as an IC. I understand bullshit meetings very well.

:smith:

The project is behind schedule. We'd better have three times as many meetings about the status of the project with the developers, that will certainly help them deliver on time.

I work for a small company and I've been around long enough that I can get away with saying "Things would be going a lot better if you trusted us and stopped scheduling endless panicked meetings that sap morale and keep us from working. There's nothing you can do. We can do a retro after the project. Please leave us alone so we can deliver. I will tell you if I think you can help."

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I barely understand containerization and Docker these days. Still no idea what Kubernetes does.

Containers are a way of making a "tiny VM" that contains just your application and the stuff needed to run it. No guest OS. Result: Small image sizes, quick to start up and shut down.

Docker is just a platform that provides an implementation of the container standard. There are others. Docker's biggest asset is its container registry with lots of pre-built base images and applications. "Docker" as a company is very likely going to fail in the next few years. "Docker" as a "xerox" or "kleenex" style term for "container building platform" will probably survive.

So now you have a bunch of containers. You want to run them. Running a container is easy. Running 10 containers? Less easy. Running 10 containers and being able to manage resiliency (running them across multiple machines in case a machine explodes), scaling (we need more copies of this container!), and healthiness (this container is broken!) is basically impossible.

That's what Kubernetes does. It's a container orchestration platform so you can tell Kubernetes "please manage a bunch of networked nodes that can run containers for me, and provide a scheduler that can automatically distribute my containers across those nodes and ensure they're running and healthy". There's a lot more nuance to it but that's the 5 paragraph version.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

A zillion companies use docker (the technology) and basically nobody pays Docker (the company).

And the technology is just an implementation of an open standard that is also implemented in OSS tools. Podman has an identical CLI to docker, will build dockerfiles, and generates images that will run in Docker.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Rubellavator posted:

You guys are morons.

the issue is that someone felt the need to try to communicate the exact slur that was used in euphemistic terms instead of just saying "they used racial slurs", which is generic and gets the same point across.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

BFG Repo-Cleaner is a relatively user-friendly tool for nuking stuff from your git history. Deleting all of the files from the vendor is quite easy. Deleting parts of files if they aren't nicely isolated like that is going to be much more of a pain. Renaming things and having the end result still build will be a gigantic pain, but depending on how important the leftover vendor stuff is to your product building the old versions might just never have been on the table to begin with.

Getting everyone to delete their old local copies of the repo is a problem for legal and not something with a technical solution.

How git works is irrelevant. If you are no longer legally permitted to have copies of something (and not just merely no longer use it), it doesn't matter where those copies are.

I've been using filter-repo more than bfg lately -- it's as fast or faster and better supports targeting specific files or directories. But yeah, either of those will let you eliminate stuff from the repo's history. It will require everyone to completely stop working and re-clone the repo afterwards and may break existing PRs depending on the hosting platform, though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Trapick posted:

But apparently any reference at all is verboten, thus anything ff-.*|.*-ff-.*|.*-ff needs to be renamed. Fun. Fun fun fun.

Ah yes, compliance theater. I was going through that with a customer who wants elaborate auditing built into software while vehemently resisting the idea of zero privilege as the default. "Let anyone do anything, we just want to be able to see if they did anything bad. It's for our auditors!"

It's like having a video camera pointing directly at the box of oily rags next to the furnace. It won't stop the house from burning down but you'll get to see EXACTLY how it happened.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Paolomania posted:

Working within the Big G monorepo has been one of the best experiences of my career. Everything building and linking and marching forward together in unison forever. Some smart guy mucks with core libraries the entire world breaks that poo poo gets detected and rolled back faster than you can imagine. Would recommend.

Don’t extrapolate from Google's implementation and assume other teams will have the automation and testing discipline to achieve similar results. I've seen many orgs try to pull off a Google style monorepo and it's just "Some smart guy mucks with core libraries the entire world breaks."

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

I asked this in the IT thread, because thats where I belong, but this specific question might go better here. I got asked for help. Some person is a product manager for a software consultancy, and regularly having arguments with the engineers on their team about good design practices like logging database transactions. His specific request is what resources (books/whitepapers/whatever) can I expose myself to, so I can better explain that the family of tenets like "explicitly store DB transactions" are good . His situation is as follows:

I dont know of any resources about the proper fundamentals of system/app design, any of you all have suggestions? I've never been in a situation where I didn't want to log DB transactions, but I'll concede its possible that calling it a fundamental of good system design is an overreach

Some people log everything and have terabytes of unusable logs full of "someone has stolen your trees!" messages. Some people have configurable trace levels but that runs the risk of the "right" log level not being on at the time you need that information.

The scenario above could easily be "no one has ever needed that information in 20 years and won't need it for another 20, so we have a reasonable way to get the information when we need it and adding additional logging will take longer than just finding out the info when asked". Especially if it's a clunky old system, adding the kind of logging they're after could genuinely be a pain in the rear end for minimal benefit. Sometimes you just let the clunky old poo poo keep on clunking.

Edit: the person who asked the question is also using weird terminology that is meaningful to them but nonsense to the rest of the world. A "transaction" in a database is a very specific term with a very specific meaning, and nothing about it would involve "logging". "Exposing a transaction" is a complete nonsense phrase from a technical perspective. If they mean "we want to be able to audit the logs of activities taken by our applications", they should say that. We inhabit a world of ambiguity caused by the same words meaning different things in different contexts, so it's important to be very deliberate when choosing words to describe things. Don't assume your shorthand expression will translate for others.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 28, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

brand engager posted:

Are estimates supposed to be the entire time spent including time due to other people reviewing the code and QA testing? It's kinda hard to estimate the parts that I'm not going to be doing

Estimates are supposed to be put in place by consensus of the team responsible for delivering the story, not by an individual.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jabor posted:

If this is for sprint planning, the useful thing to estimate is most likely to be "when will I be freed up from this task so I can commit to something else". If your QA and release process requires constant babying by the feature developer to push things through, and you won't be able to pick anything else up until after it's done, then you should include that time. (Really you should fix your process to involve less bureaucratic makework, but let's suppose that's off the table for now). If it's a more hands-off process where you can send it to QA, spend five minutes next week pushing the "yes release it" button once QA signs off, and otherwise not worry about it at all once you've handed it over, then you should just include the actual feature building time.

But if QA is the bottleneck -- and it always is anytime there's explicit manual QA -- then you're just releasing more work to get held up at the bottleneck.

That's why QA is still part of estimates. If you can't release your stories because they're still being QAed, the story isn't complete.

The estimate should include ALL the effort, not just the developer's effort.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Higher-up: "We need you to work on these internal projects."
Me: Okay, how should I allocate my time versus billable client work?
Higher-up: "Just make it work."
Me: Well, should I not bill my client and allocate some percentage of my time to these projects?
Higher-up: "No, billable work always comes first."
Me: Okay, so you want me to work overtime?
Higher-up: "No, you don't need to work overtime."
Me: Then you don't want me to work on these internal projects, because I'm not supposed to work extra hours, but you still want me billing my client for a full day of work?
Higher-up: "No, these are very important projects."
Me: So you want me to bill my client for hours I'm not working for them?
Higher-up: "No, of course not."

It turns out this person somehow believes that you can do focused work on internal projects in 5-10 minute increments while waiting for an answer to a question or for builds to run. I have tried to disabuse them of this notion, but I don't think it has worked. Luckily this person is not my boss, and I am scheduled to have a conversation with my boss soon anyway, so I'm just pretending these internal projects don't exist for the time being.

This company used to be great to work for, too. Oh well.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've never been in this situation, but I have been told the way to answer this is, "I will get started on the internal projects. Client projects will be delayed X amount of time."

Is that tenable? Or is this expecting too much rationality from someone hinting that you need to do internal projects off the clock?

No, because I had the circular conversation already that covered both of those points. The expectation is that the internal projects simultaneously won't impact my work and won't require me to spend extra time working.

There are 4 possibilities, one of which must be true:

- I work extra
- I don't work on internal projects
- I don't do client work
- I defraud my client by lying about billable hours

I have eliminated all of them as possibilities. The expected way this is going to happen is that I fill in "spare time" (i.e. dead time between meetings, waiting on builds to complete, etc) throughout the day. I received pushback when I explained how context switching works and how it eats up a tremendous amount of time.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, gently caress this guy, you work for your boss, not the PM.

My boss is the one who wants people working on internal projects. I just don't think it's well-understood (or maybe just "not believed") that I'm actually very busy with this client, not sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day.

But yeah I'm just expressing frustration and bemusement by the situation. I have no problem saying "if you have a problem with how I'm doing my job then loving fire me", if it comes down to it. :shrug:

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 30, 2022

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ThePopeOfFun posted:

This make sense.

Mind numbing. Thank you for explaining. I'm starting an entry level dev position in September coming from marketing, and restaurants before that. It's helpful to see your thoughts behind handling the bullshit.

Don't take my actions as good actions for someone new to the job to take. I've been with the company for over a decade, have built up a fair amount of clout and a reputation for delivering good results, so I can afford to get into a pissing match with executives without immediately getting fired

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

When I was presented with this situation myself, I picked option 2.5 - "I don't work on internal projects, but say I will try, given time constraints" Rather than outright arguing with PM / my boss, I expressed reservations about being able to get this done, but agreed to "try." I resolved to do nothing on the internal project, and proceeded along those lines. Within a matter of months, both the PM and my boss had left the company - apparently the project was more important for their careers than mine, and the problem went away.

If the project were important, they'd like... give it real resources. If they're giving it to someone to do in their spare time, it means it doesn't have enough backing for them to actually give it a budget or resources, but they need to say that they're doing it because it's the pet project of some rear end in a top hat. That's not a good strategy if the project is important to one's career, and if it's not important, then why bother doing it?

That's a solid approach, and was my initial tack, once it was clear what was happening.

Then I started getting asked for status updates and getting infuriating snide remarks about my time management.

FWIW, I'm one of 5 people who is in this situation right now and we all are baffled and pissed, so the most likely outcome is that these side projects wither and die.

It's actually a shame because these initiatives are things that we desperately need and I've been trying to get us to do for years. I'd love to be able to focus on them and give them the attention they deserve.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

The traditional approach to internal projects at a consultancy is to just push them off forever while never canceling them or admitting anything is amiss.

This. They just gradually fade away.

I had a meeting with my boss today. Apparently the guy who I want to see maimed by lions loves me and was pushing for me to get a good bonus and raise. So I don't know what his loving problem is. Raise was pretty good, bonus nothing to sneeze at. So my rage has been tempered by money, at least for now.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

captkirk posted:

Is he just completely socially inept? I've worked with some folks that I thought were always angry with me but then gave good feedback to my manager.

Nah he's a sales guy. Kind of jock-bro-y. I think that's how he bonds with his peers. It's different than what I perceive as friendly poo poo-talking, but I think that is what's it's intended as.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sometimes you choose a place because you like the people, sometimes you believe in the product.
Not sure why someone would choose to stay at Twitter right now.

Money?

Also keep in mind that not everyone on earth shares the same political viewpoint as 99% of this forum and some people who work for Twitter may even like Elon Musk and agree with the direction he wants to take the company.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

This is what video game players think game dev is like. "Why are they wasting time with new models and animations and not fixing the lag! Anyone not working on rebalancing this weapon needs to be fired!"

Lots of people think this way about EVERYTHING. "Why is the government working on X when Y is still a problem?" as if it's impossible to be working on multiple objectives simultaneously.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jamus posted:

I used to work with a guy who'd somehow always run into absurd problems nobody else did. Not out of lack of technical ability, just really bad luck? I could never figure it out. He was curious enough and driven to solve his own problems eventually. I got into the habit of making him run my stuff on his machine just to shake out some fresh interesting bugs/documentation problems

It was probably something about his work flow or preferences in workstation configuration that would shake out the weird stuff. Like "software works great until you change the locale to Turkey and all hell breaks loose" localization shenanigans.

Honesty though 90% of our job is curiosity and drive. That's what made me stop participating in stack overflow, it's almost entirely questions that can be answered by carefully reading readily available documentation, but the gamification heavily rewards asking and answering low-effort poo poo questions, so it just drowns in garbage from people with no curiosity or drive.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

It's gonna get a lot worse with people using AI to answer questions they don't know the answers to.

ChatGPT is banned from Stack Overflow and it's pretty easy to spot the lovely answers that most people generate because it's heavy on general exposition and light on specific answers to a specific question. I've gotten a bunch of folks suspended for using it already.

[edit]
But Stack Overflow does suck and has sucked for years. I'm a relatively high rep user (~60k) and the gamification of the site rewards asking and answering lovely, easy questions that have already been covered or could easily be answered yourself by reading some documentation and experimenting. I've come across users with as much or more reputation than I have who have asked literally thousands of questions, all of which boil down to "please do my job for me, I'm incompetent".

It also penalizes you for downvoting answers -- you lose reputation. I have enough that I don't care, it's a basically unlimited resource because I get hundreds of passive reputation every week just from old answers. But it discourages lovely answers from getting nuked unless they are just egregiously wrong.

I barely even participate anymore, just downvote, vote to close "seeking recommendations for off-site resources" (which is the category I've decided easily googleable, well-documented answers fall into). Of the ~10 questions I've asked over the past decade, I've ended up answering almost every single one of them myself because it got zero engagement from the community, because I actually asked hard questions about weird scenarios. Taking an hour to help me out means that's an hour you can't poo poo out 10 low-quality answers to easy questions and get 10x the reward.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2023

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

thotsky posted:

Got two offers, one from the biggest consultancy company here and one from a smaller one specializing in senior devs that has a flat, open and quite lucrative compensation scheme based on billable hours. If I go with the latter my TC will be about unchanged, whereas the former is probably not going to want to match that but has a higher guaranteed pay even if I am not on a project.

I've been a consultant for 11 years. The latter's pay scheme is going to gently caress you over hard in one way or another.

In a given week, I am billable 75% of the time if I'm lucky. Internal work, pre-sales and scoping new projects, etc eats up a tremendous amount of time.

This means one of two things:
1) You work 50-60 (or more!) hours a week to be billable for 40 hours.
2) You don't get paid anywhere near what you think you're going to get paid.

Some consulting companies will make part of your job performance billable hours, so scenario #1 is effectively mandatory. My company thankfully has no such policy. If I'm only billable for a third of the week because internal poo poo eats up all my time, I shrug and say "don't make me do so much non-billable poo poo and I'll bill more, okay it's Friday at 5 pm, talk to you on Monday"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

If it helps, we work in Python and we use sprints as our main planning tool / execution cycle.

Other people have started chiming in on this but I want to be explicit in defining some stuff for you:

"sprints" are a concept from a project management methodology called Scrum, which in turn is a flavor of Agile development. Agile development in and of itself is fine and good -- it really just outlines a few simple principles for how you plan projects so you can continually deliver valuable work while responding to evolving requirements over time.

However, most organizations cargo cult their way into "agile" or "scrum" and rigidly follow the ceremonies to the point where it obfuscates and eliminates the actual intent, and you are performing voodoo rituals to the sprint gods hoping for a good harvest of completed user stories.

Your organization is one of them. Quick example: Scrum does not have a concept of a project manager, and "time" is an internal concept for the team that is irrelevant to people on the outside. What is supposed to be measured is "velocity", which is a concept that is supposed to be completely divorced from time. So if you have a project manager asking you for time estimates, someone has taken a perfectly fine methodology that can work really well and started using it to measure the wrong things in the wrong way.

There is no fixing it from the bottom up. You are hosed. They want to measure the wrong things and try to force square pegs into round holes, which will be a never-ending source of friction and stress for everyone involved, all while the people who are misunderstanding what "agile" means get annoyed because their cargo culting isn't getting them the results they expect. You will deal with an attitude of "the Process is god. The Process cannot fail, it can only be failed."

Like, this post. Everything outlined here is 100% correct and will absolutely never happen in your organization.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 7, 2023

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

Need an opinion or two, goons.

I work remote and I've done so with a sorta-jank setup - I have my work laptop set up on my desk, and I RDP to it from my personal desktop. Work stuff stays on work device, personal stuff stays on personal device, I can shitpost to my heart's content without worrying that CorpIT is monitoring my E/N posts. Do you think this is blurring the "keep personal and work stuff separate" line too much? There have been some new security measures rolled out recently that have made this more difficult, and I'm wondering if that's enough impetus to start trying to draw a more coherent line.

Main downside is that I don't have space for another work space, so no matter what I have to reuse my current peripherals, which means KVM or unplugging, each of which has been a huge pain in the past for me

I've been doing exactly that for 11 years and it's fine as long as you have discipline to not gently caress around all day instead of working.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xarn posted:

We don't have official policy on cameras, so I turn it off in large meetings and usually turn it on in small meetings where I have a chance to actually remember people. But sometimes I don't turn on the camera at all and that's fine too, I don't see why you'd force people to be on camera.

Some distant relative of my wife's that I met a few times at family functional mentioned that while her team was remote during covid she required them to be in a meeting all day with both mics and cameras on at all times. Just a meeting of bodily functions and keyboards clacking because she's a lunatic control freak. Oh and she enforced office dress code, including below the camera, via visual inspection.

I extricated myself from the conversation before I got myself banned from future family events.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Insanite posted:

holy poo poo.

I enjoyed hearing her complain about how everyone around her is an incompetent idiot who needs to be micromanaged.

When she said that I started to think about how at her employees' houses, they were complaining to their families about how some micromanaging psychopath was keeping them from getting any work done by making sure they were wearing the right shoes.

I shared my management style with her ("always feel comfortable coming to me with questions if you need help. don[t surprise me with last-minute bad news, tell me as soon as you know something won't work/is broken/won't be done on time. now I will leave you the gently caress alone because I trust you"). She was aghast, and I deftly ended the conversation before it could go off the rails any further by yelling "LOOK OVER THERE" and running and hiding in another room while her back was turned.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jen heir rick posted:

You should have just made pagination mandatory. Then they'd have to do some extra work to get the whole database. A lot of Apis enforce pagination.

Rate limits too. Because the response to pagination by abusive consumers is just to iterate millions of pages.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

What do you call the thing in stupid Java programs where every single class has a matching interface even if there is only one implementation? I hate that.

C# does that too, it's a pattern for testing so every class can be mocked. I don't think there's a pithy name for it.

I hate overuse of DI containers where you eventually reach the point where debugging consists of setting random breakpoints and hoping that's the one that you need. I was just dealing with that on a very large code base that I was unfamiliar with. Exceptions would get thrown deep in the bowels of the application and get swallowed and I couldn't step my way into the problem. Took two days to realize it was a missing file because I didn't have git lfs installed.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Splitting interfaces and implementations also helps with build times - if you have to compile a hundred different files sequentially (or worse, all at once in a single compiler invocation because they're circularly dependent), that takes forever compared to compiling just the interfaces all in parallel, followed by all the implementations (again in parallel).

That might be true but I don't think it's the reason anyone does it

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

My point is the whole 'ugh I have to TALK to people' poo poo in our industry is basically self-destructive bullshit and leaning into it is only going to make you more miserable.

Have you considered that some people genuinely enjoy working in silence with minimal interaction most of the time? I work best that way and enjoy it immensely when I can, which unfortunately isn't as often as I'd like.

Meanwhile my wife cannot deal with no interaction jobs, to the point that she has explicitly opted out of corporate desk jobs for her own mental health.

COVID was fine for me, it took a solid 6 months for me to start to get a little stir crazy. She ended up in inpatient psych care twice.

My point is that everyone is different and has differing levels of tolerance and enjoyment for isolation vs socializing. Most people can articulate their preferences.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

America Inc. posted:

Thanks for the advice. I reached out to a mentor and he said the same thing: the company shouldn't really care if I'm freelancing for someone who's not a competitor. I should concern myself more with ensuring that the contract is fair and makes sense legally.

I did tell my manager before that I was driving with Lyft and he was OK with that then. I'll let him know I'm freelancing and it shouldn't be a problem.

Also depends on the industry. I do consulting and if I consulted in the same area as my expertise I'd be poaching potential clients.