Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mniot posted:

In America 20 days of vacation (as a maximum) is a lot. Max 15 is more typical. There's no minimum, and it's not uncommon that if you don't take your full allotment of vacation in a year you lose it without any compensation.

I like systems that let you regularly accrue hours with no, or with a very high maximum. The rate of accrual is controlled based on whatever criteria (seniority, position, etc.)

That way I can take 2 or three long weekends in a year, let some of my time roll over, then take a 3 week vacation next year.

I was helping a director with an issue a couple days ago and happened to notice that she had ~200 hours of leave banked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sarehu posted:

One where salaries are a lot higher and you can retire earlier?

I'm in the US, so the joketruth is that neither is true.

edit: I just checked my benefits because I was curious. I currently accrue PTO at 13.34 hours/month, which comes out to roughly 2 weeks/year. Which in my experience, is pretty standard for a non-D or C level employee that has started at a company less that a year ago.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 8, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Xarn posted:

As an european, work rights in USA chat always amuses me... How do you put up with this poo poo?

Obviously it's because we're better than you and working to death is a privilege and a right.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughlander posted:

If you get fired you'll have a better job tomorrow.

While that is likely true for most people in this thread, it's definitely not true for a large number of the population as a whole.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

People at my work place are making plans to jump ship. It's sinking pretty drat fast. Looks like it's time to crank up the :yotj:, maybe I'll find a place with front-end engineers that actually understand that not everything works on all browsers. It's terrifying to think that I'm the most competent engineer in the room.

If I remember where you work correctly, and given my wife's experience with said company, I'm totally not surprised. Good luck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

She wouldn't happen to also be doing front-end there, is she? (And yeah, it's a mess.)

No, she worked as an agent for a while. Moved to a competitor.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Skandranon posted:

It's not like any of these things are esoteric, once you know the names of the things you should know (binary search, sorting, etc), just straight up search for those on Google and you'll find tons of stuff. Youtube has a ton of videos which visually show various sorting algorithms working, which can be a big help in understanding what they do.

This one is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqI6KT6cOas

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Amazon work life quality appears to vary quite a bit between departments and managers. Way more so than most other companies.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For more anecdotal fuel for this fire, goon Agrikk works in AWS and seems to quite enjoy it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Fine, how about we move on to the colour of the bikeshed.

First we need to decide if we're going to use sinker nails or common.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

New job is offering me either a macbook or a Dell laptop. All I know is that both are decently powerful machines, good enough for developers. Which should I choose?

If they're equivalently priced models, it probably doesn't matter. I'd personally pick the macbook because I want to fit in when writing code in the middle of a coffee shop.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Keetron posted:

If you will be working on C#/.NET go with the Windows machine just install windows on the mac as that is native for the environment the stuff you build will be running on.
For all the rest get a mac, the build quality of the macbook and native unix is just what you need. I drank the coolaid, you should too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Surface pro or surface laptop

I don't have any experience with the Surface Book or the new Surface Pro, but I hate my Surface Pro 3's keyboard.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The snipping tool is pinned to the start menu on every computer I have control over.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We don't have an open office, but I'm in a cube block off of a busy hallway. It's not bad for me, since I have a double cube at the back of the block. But it sucks for the two guys at the front of the block since their backs are to the hallways and their screens are plainly visible to anyone that's walking by.

edit: I forgot which thread I was posting in. I am not a real dev, I am a systems admin with dev aspirations. My extra cube is a workbench.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 24, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The first open office was designed for a marketing firm, the had the same problems everyone else does.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/06/03/480625378/episode-704-open-office

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swatch Time everywhere! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Swatch Internet Time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You are not Google

Just finished listing to an interview with this guy on The Changelog and it was really good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how do you feel about this?

code:
if (foo > bar) {
  return false;
} else {
  return true;
}

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I usually feel like if you have more than one return in a function, you need to split it up into multiple functions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

Then again there are people who wouldn't use goto if their life depended on it.

I am one of those.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

geeves posted:

Well, some good news to those who use React, Flow, Jest, ImmutableJS. Facebook went MIT license for them.

I wonder if that's directly related to the Wordpress post.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Murrah posted:

Ive been asked to make a barcode label with some text that prints from the browser and is supposed to work appropriately on a bunch of different kinds of 1inch label printers

I cant quite express actually how frustrating this has been

The most sane way to do this is by generating a pdf, then the user prints the pdf.

I say most sane, but it is still quite rage inducing.

E: when I did this I needed to generate label sheets and I generated the pdf of the sheet in python on the server using reportlab

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 18, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

I do not mean that. That joke is as lame as saying, "This site sure is something awful!"

Didn't you work there?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This thread is full of bad opinions right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AskYourself posted:

Relevant to our little discussion about passion last week.

I have no side code projects to show you

Reading that article reminded me of another one.

Just imagine that they're talking about developers instead of chickens

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Six of one

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LLSix posted:

Basically, break each chunk down into 1 day or less tasks and write down those tasks in some way that you can mark them off as you complete them or add more as you discover them.

I do this with Trello.

Small projects get a card, larger ones might be split into multiple cards, add task lists to each card for the specific things that need to be done. Arrange the cards in columns by priority. I use Today, Tomorrow, This Week, Next Week, and Someday

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Nope, no dev dbs, test data, or prod dumps. Not any up to date or useful ones, at least. Point we pack to the prod API and we’re good to go! Admittedly it’s hard to outright drop a database from a front end, but when I expressed concern and declined responsibility for prod data loss, I was just told it wouldn’t happen :shrug: Given my luck, though...

The number of people that say "it wouldn't happen" when they mean "it hasn't happened yet" just totally blows my mind.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Someone please find that post about the guy who was hired as an intern, wiped their data on day 2, then said that the company wanted to sue him because he destroyed their company.

Authenticity of story not verified

https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6ez8ag/accidentally_destroyed_production_database_on/?st=JAN7JJ22&sh=3cdfe61d

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

From now on, my questions for interviewers will always include "how many of your servers are named after anime characters"

If you name them the become pets. Servers should be cattle not pets.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hope you test that backup

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Not much to it. Since we don’t have any sort of useful preprod or test data, I have to wire up my local front end code to the prod environment (see previous posts for my feelings on this). I needed to get more Suggested Friends to pop up, so I went into an unlocked room and hung out for a bit. The room’s owner told me to gently caress off :shrug:

In related news, getting time in the morning when few people are around is only good if you don’t run into a bunch of blockers during that time :( So much for that idea.

This story made so much more sense as soon as a I realized you were talking about chat rooms.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Ended up camping more rooms and doing the latter. Heard a lot of "who the gently caress are you"s but hey, I got my ticket done v:v:v

Do you now work for a company who's name is a stupidly misspelled body of water?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mniot posted:

Yes! Also, allow spaces to mean function call arguments.

Powershell does this.

code:
function Get-UserInfo($ID) {
    return $stuff
}

$user = Get-UserInfo 1234

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

geeves posted:

Well, we're not watching John Wick 2. We can get away with violence,,, some of Machete wouldn't fly.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

My boss's boss wants to meet to chat Monday morning about my reasons for leaving and sent a meeting request called "Coffee" with the details "Meet at your desk, walk to your choice." I get how I'm the weird one for not drinking coffee, but even if I did, do people really want to go to a coffee shop half an hour after they get to work? Isn't that, like, too early for a second cup and too late for a first cup, if you're a coffee-drinker? Also, do people not brush their teeth after breakfast and want to hold off on ruining their minty-fresh mouth for a few hours?

I want to reply with, "I don't drink coffee, but how about we go get some ice cream instead?"

Every (admittedly limited sample size) VP or C-level that I've interacted with has done 90% of their work walking to or from a coffee shop or stand.

All our COO does is essentially walk laps around the office with a coffee cup in his hand, then when it's empty he goes downstairs for a refill.

I am also not a coffee drinker, but if I get caught in the "walk with me, I'll buy you a coffee" trap, I'll just order a tea.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When bitcoin hit $15000 I cashed out my .00067 btc paper wallet that a friend was handing out at a party.

It was worth $5 when he gave it to me, and I got a little under $100 and bought a nice bottle of whiskey.

That’s my bitcoin story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's funny to me that you're probably better off actually laundering your BTC than transferring it through a legitimate institution.