Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Keetron posted:

The above is the reason that makes me think that having a QA person or department is actually detrimental to code quality.
Dev: "Here QA, I made this and now you take the bugs out"
QA: "How do I run this locally?"
Downhill from here.

I worked as a dedicated QA person for almost 15 years, I hated it so much that now I develop software that needs no external QA person. It still needs testing, lots of it. Just not by a person who's only job is to ensure no bugs go to prod. That should be a team effort and part of everyone's job.

Man... flashbacks.

In my old job a FairlyLargeCompany:
1. QA was on a separate department
2. Ops were on a separate department
3. QA refused to test anything other than ready-to-go, prelive environment with real data
4. Only the ops were allowed to deploy to prelive environment
5. Indeed the ops department required a work order to deploy anything into prelive environment
6. If we attempted to post stuff in prelive environment too often (say more than once per sprint) we would get poo poo from ops department for sucking at developing and wasting their time.
7. If there was an error at live, then unless it was egregious, then fixing it would have had to wait until the next scheduled update (say 2 weeks), because it was our fault, and the ops were busy.
8. We devs would need to write error memos and attend meetings on how come there are these persistent bugs at live, and what can we do to avoid writing them in the future.
9. The QA obviously didn't need to attend these meetings or write memos - afterall they weren't the ones who wrote the bugs.

Basically these external QA and ops departments contributed nothing to help the developers deliver better quality software, and only generated poo poo.

Not saying all ops departments or all QA departments are bad, but I think at least one level of QA needs to work with the developers, and the ops needn't be involved with the environment where QA testing takes place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It doesn't lead to the discussion we need to have, just people not saying anything really. One false step and you're toast.

Keetron posted:

You are an idiot and this causes stress in others. I hope any business you are in fails because your are in it.
Any problem you have in life is you, you are the source of all your unhappiness and feelings. I really hope you feel like the shitstain you are. The disconnect of your perception to how mentally ill you are should make me sorry for you. Please find a therapist to get meds so you can hope to gain a fraction of humanity. While I myself am not a nice person, compared to you I look like the love child of Ghandi and Mandela.
See, this is how you stress people out, having your own toxic work environment that you carry with you from place to place. It is you, only you and until you fail to see this, you will be a sorry excuse for a human.