Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
alright, so we've totally lost the "const correctness" context that set this off and we're 100% on some fucken PM's ginned up fantasies about devs separated from that, glad we could post today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Wallet posted:

You think the next person to mess with that code is going to read comments on a PR that was merged forever ago next time this comes up? In the original context we're talking about consistency across separate files; I don't know any developers who are likely to catch that, and I definitely wouldn't have when I was mostly a developer. Maybe the world is just too poo poo for your genius.

yeah you were a poo poo developer if you can't notice something like const correctness across the vast, impermeable gulf of... "separate files", hth

and yes, if I see something done vastly different in two places, i will absolutely pull up a PR for one of them as part of investigating. or ask a colleague. or respond to an explicit request in a PR. if you're not allowing devs time/space for that amount of digging or polish, you're a poo poo PM and org. for a long, ongoing concern like adding const correctness eventually everyone should be aware of the technical debt and the standard folks are working towards and shouldn't need to go digging every single time.

or you can just let folks go hog wild, have no standards or expectations, force push to master/prod, and deal with the resultant chaos, whatever im not ur mom

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

smackfu posted:

Has anyone worked at a big company that acquired a small company and then had to deal with the small company’s senior developers not handling it well?

I used to hang out with a HR person whose job was essentially going to the small acquihires and informing them that the Party was Over.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

It sounds like you just need to have a channel for everyone who isn't your boss, to say that boss called, everyone do their updates (like standup??????????), and designate the person that calls boss back later.
yeah don't let this linked list implementation thrash everyone's cache, just batch up the operations and provide the caller with the result

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

the talent deficit posted:

ageism isn't really that big a deal in my experience. not keeping up with trends and tech is really harmful to your career tho. always be learning
assertions like this should come along with an age and the oldest dev you've worked with

well gosh there's no problems up thru my mid 40's, what could possibly happen beyond that point

qsvui posted:

unless you work in embedded in which case you can go your entire career knowing nothing but C
:rolleyes:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lifg posted:

I’ve worked with programmers in their fifties or sixties (I don’t ask) in literally every job I’ve had over the last 15 years, except at that 2-person web dev company. But I’m not in Silicon Valley or at a FAANG.
didn't mention your age, your area of SW expertise, and eliminated all of 5 companies and 7,000 square miles. again, I don't find this anecdote all that data-backed or terribly useful, but maybe there's folks out there champing at the bit for this?

ChickenWing posted:

y'all need to find some less toxic companies, peer review is great if your workplace isn't a toxic hellhole.
"less toxic" great, imma just bring up my all_companies.xlsx and sort by toxicity. wait, wait, gotta filter by local managers toxicity too, is that a pivot table or

honestly progressive JPEG's anecdote doesn't even say it was a toxic place before the budget troubles led to layoffs. like are you 100% certain this gold standard of peer review wouldn't bite you in the future if the top-down direction of the company changed? how would you feel if your fair critical feedback was in someone's COVID-19 layoff notes?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i directly ask peers what they want put in their review notes and if you don't you're a narc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm glad I don't work with you.
im sorry if this is how you learn that formal reviews with persistent notes aren't "Magical Honesty Time" where you can take all feedback you're too chickenshit to tell a peer dev directly 1:1 and give it to someone with the power to end their career without consequence. it's a game, there are winners, playing it straight doesn't help anyone.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Space Gopher posted:

If your go-to burn is "how can workplace culture and feedback even exist if I can't put them into an excel pivot table" then you might. just. be. part. of. the. problem.
hi thank u for sharing ur understanding of my joke

Space Gopher posted:

If management wants to fire someone, your peer assessment email that says "Joe's a technically solid developer who has excelled under high-pressure situations, but I'd appreciate it if he works on providing more descriptive code review feedback" is not going to meaningfully tip the balance.
again, you can narc it up all you want in your day to day, that's ur choice

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

prom candy posted:

When the list of things that only you know how to do grows too long you simply find a new job and enjoy being the dumb guy again for a while.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah google does it by throwing a shitload of "geniuses" at the tooling problems that inevitably crop up, blithely tossing out "its a safe pattern" without mentioning the other half of the tradeoffs seems irresponsible at best

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volmarias posted:

My dude you need to calm down, Reader has been turned off for a long time now, let it go.

And, for what it's worth, I'm actually very happy with the end result around the source code situation, it's leaps and bounds better and beyond what I dealt with in other large companies. It's also very much solutions for very large companies with very large company / codebase problems, which is why I suggested that maybe a monorepo is not the way to solve the actual problem.

lol was that a sensitive spot? i specifically quoted someone else's language about monorepo. not everything's about you, buddy!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pollyanna posted:

I…what :psyduck: what is even happening here

The PM's asking a perfectly reasonable question. "Delete after 30 days" doesn't tell you when the check is implemented or when a user would actually observe a deletion occurring. Do we check the entire spam folder every morning at 8 AM, so a spam email arriving at 8:01 could potentially sit there for 30.999 days? Is that operation done more frequently, like every 15 minutes? Or is there a continuous loop checking every spam email every second to ensure, against all reason and practicality, that the "delete after 30 days" requirement is met precisely? It might sound silly but for certain applications, legal requirements around retention policy might make that the preferred method.

But, for a certain kinda nerd, it's really fun to pretend like you can't possibly understand how a "human" uses a computer and continue talking past each other in increasingly histrionic ways!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've never been in this situation, but I have been told the way to answer this is, "I will get started on the internal projects. Client projects will be delayed X amount of time."

Is that tenable? Or is this expecting too much rationality from someone hinting that you need to do internal projects off the clock?

that's exactly what OP said?

phrasing might be different but that's the gist of it, and the mental model of dev work revealed in the aftermath was certainly worth discovering

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I always thought the benefit of an intense micromanaging boss was having that person in your corner fighting for your raise, like yeah every staff meeting is gonna suck but... you get a raise

is that not the deal???

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

downout posted:

If it was a high priority ticket then why did it keep getting pushed into the backlog?

your high priority isn't my high priority

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:sigh:

are y'all really too dumb to keep 2 loving posts of context around?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Also keep in mind that not everyone on earth shares the same political viewpoint as 99% of this forum and some people who work for Twitter may even like Elon Musk and agree with the direction he wants to take the company.

yeah i can totally imagine a twitter engineer who's just seething at the success of prior free-speech platforms and is eager to watch twitter turn into Gab, Truth Social, or Parler.

musky's other companies aren't really known for paying top dollar either. but after you lop off the folks who know anything and folks who have better options bolt, the company might get desperate to retain anyone at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

worms butthole guy posted:

Dies this advice ever leave to anything other than them terminating you the first chance they get for poor work ethic

yeah, the team that just lost a manager and now has a sr manager with 18 direct reports with their hair on fire trying to elevate one of them to the single point of contact?

they're in a great position to be immediately firing the most senior person on the team who's capable of moonlighting for the role briefly for mild pushback. they're gonna fire them, and now the sr manager has 17 reports, so obviously it's an improvement.

can't see any downsides, they'd definitely throw him out on his rear end first thing for talking back like that.