Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

CPColin posted:

I mean, I probably could, but I'd start feeling like a bully pretty quickly. The Socratic approach definitely isn't working very well, so I'll have to shift gears soon.

Can you not send a polite email to the individual responsible? That's what I do, and what I'd like others to do when its my fault. It also gives you a good reason to escalate if they don't respond in a reasonable time frame.

Or you could do what one guy does and send an email to the "everyone" group and publicly cc person whose fault it is (don't do this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

Code review among programmers is not all that different from meetings, and we all know what happens in meetings:

Code review at my place has almost no common characteristic with meetings. There's no group discussing things, its one senior developer (which ever one got assigned to that changeset*) handing down judgment on a changeset. Whats it like everywhere else?

*Sorry for the TFS centric vocab

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

All I know is that if management is anything like how I'm doing project management for the app I'm a single dev on, then absolutely nobody would be happy with me being in management. Least of all myself.

God, I'm loving awful at this.

I was "given" management responsibilities after a while, and, it turns out, I am absolutely unsuited for it. Nothing was ever said, a new manager was moved in and I went back to normal dev duties. At no point of the process did anyone say either "now you are a manager" or "now you are again a developer", but the work I was expected to do changed.

I hate hated being a manager though and now I have a lot of respect for good ones, even if they are poo poo devs, so it was useful in that way.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I have a coworker
Who is a good guy
But messages
Me on slack like
This constantly and doesn't
Think to just write a single
Sentence.

Hey
*10mins pas*
I work with
That guy
Too

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Sorry, what is :yotj: ?

I didn't know for ages so I'm gonna give a proper full answer: Its "Year Of the Job". A bunch of IT goons all got new good jobs in the same year at some point (computer janitor thread), its proper life affirming.

Maluco Marinero posted:

I feel like I'm the vein of the 'you can't have ethical consumerism in capitalism' image, we need a 'you can't have agile fixed scope'. It just doesn't fuggin exist mate.

Also, Hope is a lie.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

"You're paying me to do that, or you're paying me to do all the other poo poo I could be doing for you while this piece of software that doesn't cost nearly what my salary costs does it instead. Also, how the gently caress are you in charge of anything more important that what to eat for lunch if you don't understand what opportunity costs are?"

I mean phrase this politely and they will listen right? Otherwise sell them a London Bridge.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

I like systems that let you regularly accrue hours with no, or with a very high maximum. The rate of accrual is controlled based on whatever criteria (seniority, position, etc.)

That way I can take 2 or three long weekends in a year, let some of my time roll over, then take a 3 week vacation next year.

I was helping a director with an issue a couple days ago and happened to notice that she had ~200 hours of leave banked.

I take 5 weeks every year, what poo poo hole country do you live in Fool?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

sarehu posted:

One where salaries are a lot higher and you can retire earlier?

I just wanted to call The Fool, Fool and feel like Mr. T for a fleeting moment. Killjoy.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

sarehu posted:

It's amazing how these so-called "workers' rights" are useless to anybody with enough self control to have savings.

Not a deep thinker eh?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

Use thing

it worked

it didn't work

why did you close my ticket you seem very combative this isn't conducive to a good workplace environment

Reasonable grounds for murder, right? No jury would convict.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I spend that hour or two collapsed on a couch, utterly fatigued and unable to actually do the things that need to get done, let alone working on projects. I guess that's what separates the Randian superheroes from the rest of us!!!

Im drinking red wine and watching Fraser. shits exhausting man.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Tickets gather, and now my sprint begins. It shall not end but in a fortnight. I shall take no unscheduled holiday, hold no unscheduled meetings, find no distractions. I shall not be finished until my team is finished. I shall live and die by my throughput. I am the sword in the backlog. I am the watcher of scope. I am the shield that guards against shipping poo poo.
I hate this so much

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Keetron posted:

My experience is that people take headphones as a sign that you cannot hear and will touch you shoulder, arm or hand or wavo in your face. In no place yet will I be left alone.

The gently caress? I'll start punching your arm if you don't respond when I talk to you. gently caress you.

this discussion makes me glad I work from home

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

metztli posted:

Force yourself to have a conversation with an object, or if you can't do that, write something to yourself, or even just go somewhere and pretend to have a conversation on the phone.

Messaging someone else, even if you figure it out in 5 seconds or just by walking away, still disrupts the flow of other people unnecessarily, which is why rubber duck debugging is so great.

I write detailed emails to one colleague whose opinion I respect and end up only sending < 20% of them because just writing it all out often lets me see the issue. And I feel like an email is easier for him to ignore until he's ready than IM or whatever, also I can search it later if it actually turns out to be something complex and ongoing.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

You turn off the sql traces 99% of the time, via config but when you need it its invaluable.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Pixelboy posted:

Resharper is great, and you should use it -- but the refactoring will often result in idiomatic C#, not necessarily performant C#.

As with any tool, think about how and where you apply it.

In my experience its incredibly slow and if you have a poo poo pc or a big project (I have both) its completely unusable*.

* as of ~2014, tell me if they made huge strides since?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Cool, now you've either tripped the FinCEN threshold of $10k triggering an investigation, or you made several sub-$10k transactions and that gets you nailed harder.

I don't know what that means, assuming until now he's just been a good tax paying saleryman, is that still a big deal?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

My company tracks number of CRs re-opened by QC, nothing else that I'm aware of. Its easily gameable (which I joke about at every review), but not as bad as LOC per day or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

CPColin posted:

Now I'm the only developer on my "team"! So no more sprint planning, code reviews, standards, career advancement, etc.!

Is it heaven? please say its heaven.