Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

steckles posted:

Them: We need you to estimate how long it'd take the dev team to implement *some company's algorithm to automate desirable thing* from scratch
Me: Why? Our analysis has indicated that their algorithm isn't very good and that's backed by what we know about their customer churn
Them: We're doing a build vs. buy exercise
Me: And?
Them: And we need to know how close we'll get to *impractical dream offering that requires AGI and time travel* if we acquire their company
Me: Given that we don't think it works, it probably won't get us meaningfully closer to *dream goal*
Them: Right, so we also need as estimate for how long it'd take the dev team to make the algorithm work for *dream goal* if we acquired their company
Me: Do you have some source of information or insight beyond what we've already figured out?
Them: No. Can you have an estimate for how many quarters both would take by tomorrow morning? We're making a slide deck to present to the board
Me: :suicide:

Part of me thinks I should estimate 15 minutes because just outputting a bunch of random numbers would probably be pretty close and be received about as well by our customers.

Make a spike user story on the technical feasibility of implementing x, and postpone your estimate until completing that user story. Spend the sprint researching the problem, solutions, why it would/wouldn't work. If you deny it immediately, you'll give the impression of being difficult, if you spend two weeks researching the scope of the problem and detailing what would need to be solved, you look more informed. Who knows, maybe you'll hit on a better way of solving the problem, or an incremental solution that doesn't solve the problem but builds towards the solution later, and can at least be estimated. Better to have the documentation of "these problems would need to be solved in order for us to proceed with this solution" explicitly written rather than making the assumption they have common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

America Inc. posted:

- a language model that allows you to do queries on the code, like "where do we download this file from this external source, or what are the externa

if you have chatgpt plus you can use the create a gpt feature and upload the code to it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Someone somewhere is accidently going make that gpt profile public for all to see and use after uploading their entire companies code base to it.

if the code is bad let people steal it. maybe they can get it to work (they won't)

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

prom candy posted:

Having a bullshit job causes extreme psychological damage but not having money is worse.

I'm contracting for my former employer who I left for largely similar reasons. One of my former teammates estimated 8 hours on a ticket and my old boss smelled bullshit and asked me to do it. Took me 25 minutes. Apparently this kind of thing is commonplace and nobody in the org cares. I love goofing off but not sure I'd be that brazen about it at the height of layoff season.

I haven't heard an estimate with a resolution smaller than two weeks in years.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Ah the senior/principle engineers who are passionate about all code being unreadable unless it matches their personal style, have always been strong proponents of policy guides for style. After all, why shouldn't it take 15min or more to go through a four page checklist before typing code for discussion in chat?! They have also always been the last to improve the developers' lives with automation, even to the point of complaining that automation is not possible.

It's amazing how many fewer comments you get in code review when you have the power to give people a lot of work very quickly.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

I just block people if they suck on chat and make them email me if they want help so I have documentation. I used to dread having chat open because it would be entire days of "Hi" and questions, but it turns out that answering asinine questions over chat is not in my job description and is not connected to my salary in any tangible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

smackfu posted:

I saw a horrifying view of the future in a Reddit question the other day:

“Does anyone have any good resources on software version n-1? ChatGPT doesn’t know about version n yet.”

I used to have a difficult time believing that people could be too dumb to do google searches but watching people try to use chatgpt as a resource and failing at it somehow reduces my already extremely shaky faith in humanity even more.