Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ploots posted:

Director announced that due to nobody wanting to be on the CS escalation team because of its on-call rotation, all of engineering is going on-call

Leaving sounds like a great decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm spectating this thread from the auto industry and deeply need an explanation of what is called "kanban" in the software field and how it works.

Integration sends you an empty box back when they run out of bubblesort implementations and then the coders fill it back up?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

raminasi posted:

If your manager is good they'll come up with a plan to get you a raise, but don't be surprised if this plan is long and tedious and ultimately less efficient than just getting a new job.

the one time this has worked out for me it was because I was working on the building facilities team, HR had ordered new office furniture, and my boss took it hostage for 8 months.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

smackfu posted:

I wonder if anyone has tried just rewinding the git history to when the code went to poo poo and rewriting from there?

they tried but Ada Lovelace had never checked anything in to the repo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

prom candy posted:

Since we're talking books, anyone have any suggestions for software related books that work well as audio books? I have a bunch of Libro credits I need to use. Doesn't necessarily need to be code books but just any good semi-related non-fiction

Soul of a New Machine

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do any of you have a significant other that will troll your friends or others by spewing cocktails of random technology names that they literally know nothing about just for the lulz? My wife likes to blurt poo poo about Ruby to my electrical engineering friends and posted about how I wrote a script for her using:

Four copies of The Elephant Book (she knows O'Reilly puts animals on books) left by a dumpster. Apparently that book is about Hadoop.
API Calls.
Rust.
Ruby on Rails (the bestest programming language that I used once in my life, but it makes people angry when she insists).
and the cloud. Who the gently caress wants hardware they can actually touch?

Last time I got trolled like that was a meet and greet at PyCon by somebody's fiance. Coincidentally, this fiance and my wife were both from Tennessee. Is this something Mountain People do?

yes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Volmarias posted:

So what keeps them from deciding "oh guess we should buy them then" and forcing this on you?

they already decided that and need OP to help them justify it to themselves post-facto. The pro move for OP right now is to get equity in the target corp somehow so his dumbshit bosses at least have to buy it from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Any MBA born after 1993 can't manage... all they know is charge they laptop, "work," be business , cause tech debt and lie

can we make this the title of every thread on the forums