Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I used to be at a small web dev shop and the owner/manager would give you a talking to about "what you could do differently" if you showed up at 09:02 instead of 09:00. At the same time he'd work from home and then expect everyone else to be as motivated about his business as he was.

The huge soulless corporation I'm at now has a good manager who understands the benefit of flexibility and my pay nearly doubled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If you're lucky they just put an analyst or coordinator on the team and have them track time against stories, stories to milestones/releases/whatever, and report on the movements of those. The business people get to keep looking at metrics and the developers get to keep developing.

It's not like anyone's measuring lines of code per hour anymore (I really hope.)

Regardless of your profession, and even if you're right, acting as though your work can't be measured or estimated comes across as arrogant at best.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Oh, nice. Tale as old as time!

So normal. Negative feedback abounds for any noticeable change. My team over the last 3 years has released dozens of functionality updates to one of this business' core systems and the only time in 3 years and tens of thousands of hours of work we got positive feedback was when we moved a menu item one level up.

No one said anything when we automated entire processes and saved them days each month, but cutting one click out of something they still have to interact with is our best work if user feedback is your metric.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I love coffee but I've worked with people who don't drink it and they just order a hot chocolate (or iced chocolate in the summer) or a juice at coffee meetings.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

toiletbrush posted:

also that feeling when you were going to start looking for another job anyway but now your hand has been forced and you've no idea what to do :(

You do what you were going to do anyway and look for a new job.

In thread title news I just interviewed at a place that unironically called their process "a combination of Agile, Waterfall, and Scrum".

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm the dedicated QA team whose process is guessing that there are no bugs in something and then not even having to fill out a checklist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

no one works more than 80 hours unless they're too arsed to drive home.

Is 80hrs a week normal for people? I'm pulling around 65 this week and am taking Monday off as time in lieu as a result.

Edit: or you're talking about 80hrs in a 2 week sprint and I'm just realising this now.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 19, 2018