Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ither posted:

Last week, I received a full time offer for about $105k/year. This is less than what I'm making now, but I thought the company was a good fit, so I accepted.

Today, I get an offer for a 1 year contract position (w2 contract: benefits but no pto) for about $75/hr. I'm shocked at this because I thought I bombed the interview. This is significantly more than I'm making now.

I'm thinking about accepting the contract position, but is that the best choice?

A good recommendation I’ve heard is at least 1.5x as a contractor. I don’t think it‘s so cut and dry here that one necessarily more. Do you think the salaried place is a better fit? There’s pros and cons to each, one has a bigger number… or is it? What about medical insurance? Vision? Dental? No PTO? What’s pto worth to you? 401k match? Other Pretax benefits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Welp I just got my new machine for my new job, and it appears to be a (used?) MacBook pro from 2019. New role is a senior software position, I’m a little confused about it. The hiring manager said they just got M1s, I was looking forward to trying one out.

Obviously there’s nothing inherently wrong with an 2019, but I even my personal machine is a 2020 (I wanted to grab the last intel mbp). I thought maybe their IT wanted to stick to intel but it’s not the 2020 so that’s not it. It seems weird to me to recycle a computer like this, so I’m holding hope it wasn’t. I can’t check the battery cycle count until Monday.

Anybody ever received an old unit for an engineering role? This is a first for me.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

redleader posted:

guessing y'all are a bunch of one-chrome-window-only weirdos then

This entire conversation from the tabchat complaints and the prior conversation about notifications are really putting forward and center that a surprising number of engineers are incompetent if not just stupid. These are really simple problems which were solved by design, the same type of design people in this very thread are supposed to be doing. It’s very ironic and disturbing at the same time.

Notifications? How do they work? Are they just a series of tubes?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Protocol7 posted:

But that's maybe 10-15 minutes worth of time, and I certainly don't want to fill any extra time with rote fizzbuzz questions. But also at that point I feel like I've kind of sussed out the candidate to the best of my ability. Just feels short for an interview, can't help but feel like I'm missing something?

Have you tried shifting to have a normal conversation with them for the rest of the interview once your agenda is done?

If I can’t have a normal conversation with someone, I am not interested in working with them. That includes both sides - interviewers or interviewees. That’s just my opinion and I’m sure others disagree. $0.02

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Plorkyeran posted:

Slack video calls are garbage that don't work.

Weird. I use them every day. They work just fine. Have had zero issues. We do our standup, retro, planning, whatever, it's almost all through slack video calls. Smaller meetings are in huddles which also work fine.

Pairing is done through Tuple, though. Which is awesome.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Daviclond posted:

I think these beliefs are pretty extreme and are holding you back. Nobody cares what a bunch of goony devs look like, and chatting with teammates should not seem like "a nightmare" that will deprive you of all productivity.

"Zoom Fatigue" is real. We have a policy of not requiring videos to be on unless you want to have it on. Video calling is not a natural act and its worse than phone calls, which are an awful way to communicate. I appreciate that it's what we have, but to claim not wanting to use them is extremism is.... well... crazy.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mega Comrade posted:

I started being camera on a few months back and it's lead to management thinking I should take on more team lead roles.

Is there a promotion and pay raise involved? Lol

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

AskYourself posted:

Y is a vowel ?

Yes. I learned this for vowels in 1st grade: “A e i o u and sometimes y”

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Scammers are already jumping on the Twitter bandwagon to make some money https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/yj6qsl/a_scam_targeting_bluechecks_on_twitter/

Trapick posted:

There was a consensus that we spend too much time in meetings, so a new decree came down: no more meetings! On Wednesday afternoons. All other times fine. 10% set aside for actual independent work is plenty

1/5 is 20%? Wondering if I missed some kinda joke :downs:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I survived 9 layoffs in my first company. One layoff in my second, and another layoff in my third. I’m at 12 years. Here’s to hoping I can keep it up.

Edit: my bad this wasn’t fair. I thought I was in another thread. My first company was an aerospace company and those have layoffs every year. Not a fair comparison to tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
2 years is the point where it starts to make sense to look elsewhere. It’s very sad because this is the point where you’re reaching peak effectivity in your role, and actually are really valuable, but for whatever reason our modern society has decided the opposite. Take your 3% raise or leave for 20%.

This is what capitalism has become, like the above stated. If you don’t play the game right, you lose.

Edit: leaving sounds like a great decision :madmax: