Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Shirec, internalize this:

fourwood posted:

You are good and he is awful.
and this:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's not you, it's your boss. He's a gigantic piece of poo poo.

Shirec posted:

The original plan that was sold me to me was our local team was going to build version 2, which was multi-tenant and infinitely scalable. All of us are brand new devs (one CS grad, two bootcamp). I came on in mid October, we went almost immediately into minimum 60 hour weeks.

one reason for our version is that it will be secure with patient data, while the current one is not.

Holy loving poo poo, I thought this was just some boring LOB app owned by some cheapskates, and not something that handles healthcare data. Even if your boss was a saint, you should still be deserting this sinking ship because it is going to go down hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

Maybe? He's also said a lot of gross stuff about women, and I'm the only woman in our office. And as a more personal thing, this isn't the first abusive situation I've fell into, and he's the same 'type' as the previous two (although this is the first professional one).

I don't want to delve too deeply into that aspect of it, but it's something I'm particularly vulnerable to, and from my experience, abusive people seek out people to abuse.

edit: This is a terrible page snipe, I'm sorry. As a gently caress you to my boss, I found a shortcut key to use word wrap so now I can toggle whenever I want and he'll never know!

Have you considered talking to an employment lawyer or similar? This place sounds like it has "hostile work environment" written all over it, and you could consider giving them a big ol' legal gently caress-you when you leave.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

I don't think it qualifies? I've read some things that hostile work environment definitions are a lot more stringent than people realize. Also I know some folks in the Newbie thread have pointed out that he's been laying the ground work since almost day 1 to fire me with cause.

I wish I worked at a place that let me take some vacation days though, today was particularly challenging :smith:

Yeah, I don't know much about employment law - but the way you describe your boss like an abusive partner (unless I misread your post) suggests that this is a bit more troubling than your average lovely boss. And there's this:

Shirec posted:

Maybe? He's also said a lot of gross stuff about women, and I'm the only woman in our office

which sounds pretttty illegal.

I mean, I get why you'd prefer to just leave that place alone entirely and forget all about it - I'd want to do the same! But I think that we all lust for justice, or alternatively :murder:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

In conclusion, kill your boss.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

over maybe a couple years of decline product falls apart, sales is unable to sell something so bad, etc

I'm surprised that this is possible, because our sales people somehow keep managing to sell our product :v:

I'm reasonably sure that the ability of sales to sell a product is totally unrelated to the quality of that product.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

It's not a problem because Git is a decentralised version control system, and surely no one would be foolish enough to tie a decentralised vcs to a centralised, single-point-of-failure service like GitHub! Why, that would mean squandering the only real advantage that a DVCS has!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

He doesn't give a poo poo about HIPAA compliance. Any time he has to get us to do something he knows violates it, he'll say "I have no knowledge of how you are choosing to solve this problem, but get it done this way"

Just make sue you're documenting this stuff! Get it in writing somehow, even if it's just you sending him an email saying "per our earlier discussion, i will implement x as follows..."

It may never be useful, but just think of the incredible schadenfreude if you could point the finger squarely at him for some HIPAA violation.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sab669 posted:

the company is at a point where they won't back down after we've gone this far into integrating it.

It's this. Someone higher up has put a bunch of political points into JIRA and cannot back out now.

We're a few weeks away from rolling out JIRA to our whole company. I believe it includes mandatory 100% time tracking, so you have to account for every minute of your day.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I have bad news for you about every industry

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Keetron posted:

"Any team that separates feature development from quality assurance will see a decline in quality of those functions as the pain of low quality is removed from the people doing feature development."

Money quote right here. I hope I remember this the next time I find myself annoyed enough to complain to someone who has any power

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

I think I def have a really good idea of what to say if I did quit before having a job secured.

This is probably too e/n, but in regards to that advice, I'm probably going to try and tough it out for a while longer. I made the mistake of talking to my low/no contact father last night about my plans (yay being a lesbian), and for those wondering why I put up so much with this current job and my boss, it's because my dad is a worse version of him, except he knows me way better. So most of my surety of what was best to do is mostly gone now.
I want to take whatever step I do with confidence, and the one of proactively quitting is terrifying to me. I can't let go of that fear.

On a nice note, my boss is on vacation or on business trips until Wednesday. So I have some time to build back up, so I can handle the next shitstorm. Let me know if this is too personal, I can take it down.

I hope by "tough it out" you mean "keep working there while still actively looking for a new job", and not "stop looking entirely"!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

Think I'm gonna go Java for now but Python will still be in the future slate.

What langs do you currently know? You might want to look at learning a sufficiently different "type" of language so that you can point at it and say "yes, I write (Java/C#), but I'm motivated and have learnt (JS/Python/Ruby)|(C/C++)|(Haskell/Scala/F#)|(Lisp/Prolog/Forth/APL) in my own time".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Counterpoint: if you write RIGHT JOINs, :fuckoff:

Yes, in theory it's just a LEFT JOIN the other way around. In practice, it turns everyone's heads inside out trying to understand it, and it will stay there forever since no one thinks they understand it well enough for a rewrite.

I'd be interested in seeing some RIGHT JOINs used properly, that make a query clearer and aren't as clear (or clearer) when written as a LEFT JOIN.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

What's y'alls standard coverage rate? I'm curious what "normal" shops shoot for.

0%

Well, that's not true. We have about a thousand lovely integration tests that no one ever runs or cares about, except (1) when one fails because they didn't deploy a change to the test DB soon enough and (2) when one of the tests that randomly generate test data fails (fix the underlying issue? Nah, just rerun it!). A full test run takes 10 mins or so, because the first person to write any tests apparently hadn't heard of DB transactions, so each test needs to clean up a ton of tables. Everyone just copied that pattern.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

He generally doesn't like to think of anything other than very rare JavaScript errors happening and maybe something else really really rare.

Ah, the old "the network is reliable" chestnut. You'll be surprised to learn that your boss is in fact an idiot.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Don’t post the review. For fucks sake.

As much as we'd all love to see the review, this is the correct advice.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

I love this story.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Does anyone not have that weird psychological thing that makes it impossible to type well when someone else is watching you work? Any time someone sits next to me, my fingers lose all ability to press the right keys at the right time.

Shirec posted:

really regret having a Windows laptop at home haha

VirtualBox up a Linux vm!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

You're going to go on a journey of discovery that ends with price actually needing to be a float.
Oof, too real.

Shirec posted:

I do have no idea when I'm supposed to ask our PM questions vs the seniors tasked with handling the juniors. I generally wanted to ask the seniors on our teams tech questions (is it ok to modify the database, preferred methods for handling validation, etc etc), but the other guy wanted to always ask the PM and seemed to need way more hand holding.
Here, questions tend to go to senior tech people first. There's a good chance they'll be able to answer both tech and product questions - mostly based on experience and domain knowledge, sometimes a judgement call, sometimes they just know something that wasn't communicated well. If they don't know the answer, they'll usually know the best person to ask next.

Shirec posted:

I submitted my first commit today though, woo! :toot:
:toot:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Assert.True(true);

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Visual Studio friends, have you considered .editorconfig?

also other editors support .editorconfig, but VS have a bunch of extensions to that format to support formatting C#

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Less so than AWS? I was helping a friend out with some AWS stuff recently, without having much experience with it, and I felt like I needed a "AWS moon-speak to normal terminology" translation service. It felt oddly cultish and was really irritating.

I need to host a PaaS website.
Azure: Azure Web App.
AWS: Elastic Beanstalk. What the gently caress? Why?

I need to hook a custom domain up to my Elastic Beanstalk site.
Azure: "Custom Domain" section of my web app
AWS: Route 53. What the gently caress? Why?

There's AWS in Plain English.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

if that starts happening I'll just disengage and start shopping around.

Start looking anyway. No point in waiting til it gets bad.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

Sounds to me like a symptom of meetings full of people who don't need to be there.

Or people who are totally disengaged and checked out.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Some people seem to think that using a distributed source control system in a strictly hierarchical fashion is fine and good. These people belong in the coding horror thread.

Counterpoint: this is cool and good in the real world

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't really know how to write code without tests - how do you know it's doing what you want?

Think reeeeeal hard.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

It's easy to not be depressed full of bugs, just act happy don't code bugs!

I didn't know our CTO posted here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Simple. You just say "this arbitrary 2 week period is our sprint". You don't need any of the other trappings of scrum; just declare that a period of time is a sprint!

I may have experience in this sort of environment.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

So... $115k.

That's like entry level Good Tech Job, not counting RSUs.

Agreed. gently caress your life; drop everything and move to silicon valley where you can make a sweet 6.06 figgies w/ a bit of stock working 100+ hours a week for a world-changing startup like uber-for-furniture or tinder-for-cats or mumble-mumble-machine-learning with a scam artist/investor and a bunch of early-20s techbros.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

World's swinging right. Seems like the best you can do is find somewhere that's swinging less.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

There are tons of people who can only process information by saying it out loud to someone else.

I'm sure we've all had that person who always wants to have a phone call to verbally regurgitate the contents of an email, with zero additional details added by anyone on the call.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Fifth Axiom of API development: all API behaviour, intentional or not, must be supported

AKA Hyrum's Law

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I liked the third party whose REST API only accepted and returned CSV. You could filter the data they returned by supplying a suspiciously SQL-like querystring parameter. When I mistyped this parameter, I got back a raw, unfiltered exception w/ stack trace containing a syntax error from their DB.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Your career has ground to a halt, find a job at a company where you'll have a chance to learn and grow

A bit harsh, but accurate.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Is there a term for when a project has been going on for so long and become such a tangled mess that you just want to burn it all

Tuesday

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Use SOAP just to annoy them slightly.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

sunaurus posted:

REST is basically useless without an AI client but hey whatever

Succinctly summarising my main problem with REST-inspired APIs.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sagacity posted:

You've essentially reinvented a worse version of gRPC then

Nothing wrong with a little RPC.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

It also helps that no one in the world who isn't Roy Fielding understands what REST actually is.

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Yeah you can get around all this if your documentation and client code game is great, but at that point why not just publish a code enforcable service contract ala grpc/thrift and call it a day? Sure, you'll still needs docs on the WHYs of your API, but that is the most important piece! And with traditional REST services, the WHYs are often neglected because you have to sink so much time into documenting the HOWs.

Something that SOAP mostly got right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Just deliver anything. It's not going to be what the customer wants, but who cares?