Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Daviclond posted:

since COVID and going near-fully remote, we spend a few hours each day hanging out in a video call while working and will passively chat about stuff

reinventing open plan offices for remote workers. visionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I started being camera on a few months back and it's lead to management thinking I should take on more team lead roles.

I think it's just they pop their heads into meetings, see me with camera on and assume I'm leading it?

if that's not a powerful argument for camera off 24/7 then i don't know what is

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

A great way to gain experience is by loving up a lot and then going back and figuring out why you hosed up.

the trick there is loving up enough that you can learn useful things from it, while loving it up little enough that you can still see a way out of the hole you dug for yourself

me, i'm mostly just piling more trash onto the heap. even if i had time to try to correct some of the mistakes, i don't know what to do about them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

just do a halfassed job of it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

all this mirrors what i've heard elsewhere, which is that a monorepo can work if you're willing to invest in and dedicate a team of devs to building out tooling and such

Volmarias posted:

My dude you need to calm down, Reader has been turned off for a long time now, let it go.

absolutely loving not

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/gd3kr/status/1545370626273120256

This probably can't handle anything really complicated but it's worth a try for simple regexes.

the one in the very first pic is wrong

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

AskYourself posted:

Y is a vowel ?

the regex in the first pic is /nw*g/i, which isn't quite "all words starting with n and ending with g"

unless the whole thing is a joke, in which case i can only claim poe's law

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and after a couple of rounds of that you're deep into microservices

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Ither posted:

Discard it and let him reinvent the function in his own time.

He picked the ticket, right? To me, that means he wants to work on it. I wouldn't spoil his fun.

yeah, i think i agree with this. especially given:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The other two have expressed concerns over missing opportunities for the 'juicy work' that they can use for career development as we split out our tickets.

and if he runs into trouble, you will be suspiciously well placed to run in and save the day

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

nullfunction posted:

All of the responses are 200 OK with an error message in the JSON payload, right?

this is honestly the most minor crime i've encountered with external apis

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Just be careful about how you're presenting it because aggressive CYA can get you labelled "not a team player" real quick

also there's a good chance this will be called out as being Not Your Job. ime charts like that are created by, maintained by, and for project people

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

However last week he had two hotfixes, these can skip the PR process at present. Somehow he pushed in changes that not only contained his stuff but also undid a load of other peoples tickets. He has no idea how this happened. he claims to not have noticed that his 1 line hotfix contained diffs in 71 files.

I only noticed this when he had forgotten to backmerge his hotfixes into dev, so I created a PR for it and noticed things didn't look right, marked as draft with "do not merge" on it and asked him to take a look cos his changes made no sense and something was wrong.
I had lunch and walked the dog, by the time I returned he had approved and merged the PR into dev, even though the raiser (me in this case) should always be the one who merges.
So now I have a master and dev branch missing multiple peoples work.

When I ask him why he did that, he claims he didn't. When I show him the PR with his name stamped on it he blames the tool for being confusing. Seems he came in, smashed merge on 3 PRs that were waiting for him and then did that one too. Not actually reading any of them.

Unpicking this has been a nightmare because hes been using various 'base' branches to hold his work and then merging between them, which are named after JIRA tickets he hasn't even started yet. So a merge of branch 'Jira-1002' might actually be ticket 1020, and 1002 is still marked as backlog, despite it being in production :shepicide:

revoke his merge permissions

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

The backend needs to be highly scalable and also Python

you're losing out on the incredible benefits of isomorphic js

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

amazed at everyone itt who are in favour of making even more tickets

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

^^^ I hear COBOL jobs are extreme well paid nowadays.

The gently caress now? :psypop:

--edit: AngularJS is EOL since January 2022, so if they're still hugging that one, they'll eventually have to move on.

the angular/angularjs thing is almost as good as .net framework/.net core/.net

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Jamus posted:

it is also the kind of domain where correctness issues can be statistical due to unexpected CPU branch predictor results or similar factors.

:psyduck:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

shocked at the limited number of mikes encountered at jobs tbh

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Notepad++ "new 1," "new 2," "new 3," etc. unsaved files

this but unironically. i think i've saved the most important one, but i couldn't tell you where

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

also people mixing up deprecated and depreciated, or pronouncing one as t'other

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

they already decided that and need OP to help them justify it to themselves post-facto. The pro move for OP right now is to get equity in the target corp somehow so his dumbshit bosses at least have to buy it from him

the equity idea is great because then op can claim conflict of interest and avoid having to deal with this

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

running through with a debugger is usually somewhere between "really helpful" and "actually necessary"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the purpose of RTO is to prop up inner city real estate values

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Xarn posted:

What are your plans for "it is 4 in the morning, the one guy who knows that poo poo is asleep"?

let him sleep. he'll need it in the morning

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Gee that couldn't possibly be because the vast majority of searchable examples out there do poo poo like use wildcards for everything for the sake of brevity.

we can simply train an ai only on good code

and how do we identify that? well, we first have to train a separate ai to be able to identify good code,

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

lifg posted:

The current state of AI is having a junior dev you have to watch and review. It can be useful. But you can’t just accept what it puts out without editing.

this will be the state of ai forever, barring some radical new approach. get used to it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

that's called "our process"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

It's just not convincing to me that someone says something is mandatory, zero-fail or mission-critical but won't actually engineer something to support that.

:frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sagacity posted:

I suppose you're conversely fully up-to-date on how to run a company then

:jerkbag: