Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Also it's like 99% easier to say "oh the setup stuff is in the readme [link]" than "uhh let me go find that on the wiki,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

yeah i mean multiple things can be true:
- some people like going to the office
- sometimes you do actually have to be in the office
- some managers or directors think going to the office makes people more productive
- some managers or directors get good brainfeel from seeing butts in seats
- real estate heavily lobbies companies to bring people back (or lobbies the government to get companies to)
- some companies with nice offices feel bad that nobody's using them

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Tbh the thing that I and the other people who aren't wfh absolutists are responding to is that poster saying that all their coworkers are NPCs why would they want to see them or the poster saying like it's objectively literally scientifically unambiguously 9 million percent better to work from home or whatever. I prefer to work from the office; I was extremely miserable forcibly working from home all through covid. I also think hybrid meetings suck rear end and so do remote meetings unless people sink several hundred dollars into their home a/v setups.

I also think that many more dev jobs should be remote friendly or even remote first (obviously not all can but we all agree on that, not worth mentioning) and somebody who can't manage remote people isn't a good manager and c levels or managers that want butts in seats are drooling morons. I work in a field that will always require coming to an office and I will continue to do that at least in part for that reason, but other fields including fields in the same company shouldn't have that restriction.

Separately from that I also think that, like, somebody starting their first job has to adjust to what having a job means. Before wfh was common, that meant like understanding the rhythm of office life and how to deal with being around people you might not like, and finding ways to focus, and finding things to choose to like so you weren't jaw-grindingly miserable for 8 hours of every day, and how to talk to people and how to establish boundaries when you didn't want to talk and so on and so forth. Working from home requires an equivalent adjustment but to a completely different end, and just like some people are maladjusted to offices by like having loud phone calls with with their divorce lawyer from their cubicle, some people are maladjusted to working from home by like never responding to chat messages or whatever