Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I frankly wouldn't worry about this sort of thing. I used to be worried about automation but now I think it will happen much more slowly than anyone thinks. It's not going to be a sudden explosion of robots and software doing all the jobs. Instead it's going to be really slow, stretched out over decades and generations. Technology just doesn't move that fast. We're nowhere close to the technology needed to eliminate all jobs, or even a lot of jobs. Most people's jobs are safe for the next 50+ years. We'll have plenty of time to adapt. This whole discussion is sci-fi nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

I think the worry is not that the robots will take literally everyone's jobs, but that they'll take perhaps forty percent of the jobs relatively quickly, leaving vast swaths of the population without the ability to get money to purchase goods and services. At some point this makes the economy go down, which makes more people lose their jobs, etc.

That's not going to happen, though. Not anytime soon. It may happen eventually but not for many decades.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's in the interest of entrepreneurs, businessmen, CEOs, and other such people to hype up their bullshit. They want to sell cars and hype up their cars, so they tell everyone they're all going to have self-driving in a few years. Gets everyone excited. They're sales people. Even scientists do this poo poo for grant money. How many "breakthroughs" do we hear about once and then never again because they turned out to be bullshit? A ton.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

Did several giant companies come out at one point and all claim "we will have video phones by X date!" and then not follow through? This isn't just one company making wild claims, it's many major car companies all over the world making a particular set of claims and providing similar dates.

LOL yes! Virtual reality, for example, was hyped like hell back in the 90s, and then it disappeared. That's probably going to happen again pretty soon. Now car companies are pushing self-driving cars even though the technology is decades away. Of course they aren't going to have self-driving cars by 2020, and we're going to see articles saying "What happened to self-driving cars?" Futurists continue to make jackasses of themselves.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
None of the poo poo promised by techno-utopianists is going to happen. We're not going to be zipping around in driverless cars. There arent going to be robots and AIs doing everyone's jobs. Human cashiers and retail workers are going to be around for a long, long time. The future's going to be like today except with some cosmetic differences. We're basically living in the 90s right now, except the internet is a bigger thing and we've got tablets. Expect more of that: just small changes here and there. We still wear jeans and eat the same kind of crap. We still wear shoes and socks and brush our teeth the same old way. We still go to work. We just have a few extra gadgets. That's the future.

Mind you I'm only talking about technology. I have no idea what politics, culture, etc. is going to be like.

• Locked thread