Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

All of the reviews about that meter are for a garden sprayer...? And maybe a few other things.

Just remember to keep it calibrated...meters that cheap will probably float all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to use "more natural fertilizers" look into aquaponics and how it works. You don't necessarily need to use living fish to supply nutrients, but learning how those nutrients are delivered to plants by setting up that chain would be useful. Hydroponics is nice because you can directly supply those nutrient salts cheaply (if you know how) and quickly. Aquaponics could potentially be "free fertilizer" (I wanted to use my flock of ducks at one point...they crap a lot in their pond) but it does come with additional effort and know-how.

Honestly though it takes a couple of years to get your head around taking care of plants and learning how to recognize what they need. It's not hard but it takes time to learn all of those little details until they become second nature. Try growing some of your plants in a potting mix and watch any differences between the different setups you have.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have space for a greenhouse? I think you'd greatly benefit from one. I know it's frustrating to try to grow only a few plants at a time since you're constantly babysitting them and don't have enough space to work in. A greenhouse would provide you the space to try a bunch of different things at a time without spending a lot on indoor lighting while providing you resources to expand in the future. And, honestly, when I was growing a few plants at a time, it was infuriating for me...I was a lot happier taking care of a lot of plants and having the space to do it. You'd be surprised how much thermal capacity the hydroponic fluids have which help keep the greenhouse warm at night too - a local hydroponics setup said they barely need to heat their greenhouses in winter (this is in Rhode Island though). Also try lettuce/kale/etc.

Just a thought.

• Locked thread