Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to get into hydroponics. First stop: the garden centre, right? I went and asked them for stuff like rockwool, grow lights, and got strange looks in return (it made me feel dirty, like I was some really dumb criminal trying to grow weed in his house). I then went to a dedicated hydroponics shop, but I'd been wanting to avoid going there, cause it's got a stigma due to grow-ops and cannabis etc. I spotted a couple weed leaf symbols in the shop as well, which was a bit weird.

I got a 65W light, an 80L plastic container that I'll spraypaint black, some seeds and a tonne of rockwool. They gave me nutrients I'm supposed to give to little seedlings, and said if it all goes well, to pop back to their store and buy a liquid solution of the stuff I'm meant to pour into the plastic container.

I'm excited and can't wait to get started. I would start right now, but I need to buy wood to build a makeshift cradle for my light to hang over the box. I was gonna make it out of plumbing, but plumbing parts (t-junctions, right angle turns) are really expensive.

I bought two types of lettuce, green chilis, tomatoes and radishes. The guys at the hydroshop said it's possible to grow tomatoes, I just gotta keep cutting it back, because I found it hard to believe I'd be able to grow a full-size tomato plant. What other veggies can I grow in my office? I'm gonna try cloning some coriander I bought already matured.

Edit: I wish this thread was more active. I'm bubbling with questions. The only forums I can find relating to hydroponics have to do with growing weed.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the reply, Mozi! I planted seeds about 4 days ago, ranging from vegetables to herbs, and they're all sprouting. I've been checking them religiously and feeding them nutrients specially made for germinating seeds. I'm really excited. My radish and lettuce seeds unsurprisingly sprouted first, and already have their starter leaves up. I got very confused with germination, I didn't know whether to keep them in a dark area to sprout, or if I should stick them under the CFL light I have. I did a bit of both, kept changing from dark, warm areas to light, warm areas. They all seem to be sprouting just fine, but my coriander seeds are still not showing signs of life.

- What kind of light is it? It's this one A 65W CFL, 6400K. I don't have a reflector for it, and I'm not sure if I should get one to help focus all the light down towards the plants.
- Not really sure, I'm growing 10 plants: coriander, thyme, basil, rosemary, lettuce, radishes and spinach. I've got a couple extra spinach / lettuce plants, bringing the total to 10. I've ordered 10 1000ml wide-mouth mason jars that I'll paint black and transport the seeds into. I've got no idea if my current light will provide enough to keep them all happy. I think they'll all be able to fit inside a m^2. I'm planning on using the Kratky method, and have seen videos of people doing the mason jar technique and it looks great.

I'm not sure what nutrients to get for them. I've read conflicting reports about Miracle-Gro, saying it's really not good to give it to plants you plan to eat. Everywhere I look online, it's just about growing weed, and any farming hydroponic sites are basically dead with no new posts and no replies. I've got no idea whether to get powdered nutrients that I mix myself, or if it's easier for me to just buy premade solution. My local hydroponics store is kind of helpful, but they upmark prices quite a bit, so I'd prefer ordering things online (UK storefronts).

I've heard about cutting basil to make it grow outwards instead of upwards, how would I do this without hurting the plant?

Update: I'm going to my hydroponics store today to buy some vegetative growth nutrients, as well as a black storage tote (might get one or two) for some of my plants to go in. I plan on putting my herbs in my mason jars, and then my leafy greens together in the large storage totes. I'm just worried about my light not being strong enough to give all of my plants enough light. I just can't afford to break the bank on a new light right now. I'm really excited, and checking my plants every morning and seeing them that little bit more grown makes me happy. I can't wait for their first leaves to show up, because that's my indication to transport them to nutrient-rich solution. I'll be buying some clay pebbles as well, to cover the bottom and top of the rockwool in the netted cups.

I've planted 2-3 seeds in each rockwool cube. I'm not sure how to tell which plant from the batch of seeds to keep. Two of my radish seeds sprouted, and one has a really dark red and thick stem, whilst the other one has a lighter, slightly pink / white stem and is a tad longer than the dark red stemmed radish. I have a feeling I should cut the taller, lightly coloured radish, as it may be a bit leggy? I figured a darker, thicker stem is a better indication of a healthy plant, as opposed to a longer, thinner and lighter coloured stem. Thoughts?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 16, 2017

• Locked thread