Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Is there a good hydroponics 101 type guide? I want to grow basil, parsley, arugula and possibly peppers. I live in New England so I'm guessing I'm going to need lights. Space is somewhat at a premium so I'd want something pretty compact, but whatever setup it is would preferably go against a wall in a room that gets a decent amount of light during the day. We keep the temperature in the house around 65 degrees, is that too cold?

HALP GROW THE FOODS PLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Stretch Marx posted:

To be honest the majority of information I've found related to hydroponics comes from marijuana grow op site forums. All hydroponics really comes down to is a bit of understanding of how light works, how to keep water plant friendly, and how to plumb. Once setup and the water is balanced correctly it's mostly set and forget.

I got bored so I mspainted a couple designs you could mull on.

The first is the eb/flow rail wall planter.

This the more basic design but also takes up more space. Basically you'll mount troughs or pipes on your wall in a zigzag pattern so the water you pump up from your tank can flow slowly down past the roots of all your plants. For a medium you can use something like hydroton or perlite in a trough so the water flows along the bottom. If you're using pipes, drill holes in the pipe for however wide you want to space your plants, then you can start your plants in grow cubes and just pop them in the holes. When they're ready you can just yank them and replace as need be.

The second is a tower stack like my first rig.

This is more difficult to setup right but is more compact than the wall mount. Basically you take a wide pvc pipe and cut holes large enough for a meshed cup can sit it. You can plant in whatever medium you want. You hooked the pump to the top of the tower and let it drip or spray down the inside of the pipe and over the plants roots. If you're crafty you can take the tube poke holes in it, capping the end, and letting spray like an aeroponics set. Then you just set the whole thing on top of the tank so it gravity feeds.

Wow, this is amazing! Thank you for these sketches. I'll have to look them over more closely when I can focus on the basics of how to set up babby's first hydro.

• Locked thread