Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are you starting to collect data?

You should, it's important for setting up a viable business.

If you have some programming chops, or a willingness to learn, I can point you in the direction of some technologies that will help. Inexpensive, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'd buy a NodeMCU, download the Arduino IDE configured to work with the NodeMCU(which is ESP8266 based), and then a bunch of
sensors
to hook up to it.

The ESP8266 is a small microcontroller that can communicate to all of the sensors, and then to wifi. There's a ton of example code and tutorials out there (especially if using the Arduino IDE), and China is pumping out all sorts of cheap modules that will work with them lately.

For the web side, you want a way to collect the data in a meaningful way. I recommend InfluxDB to store it, and Grafana to display it. Install both on a server (whether at home or through a hosting company). That can result in some pretty gorgeous dashboards.

So that's a big data dump to drop on you.
For $10, the NodeMCU and DHT22 sensor is a good way to get started on playing around. You'll be able to view data that it collects through a serial port or whatever just to play around until you decide to start being a turbonerd about it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Ehh, buying local is just paying some business to buy in bulk from Alibaba

• Locked thread