Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lolie posted:

This is the young woman in the story linked by babypolis. The IS didn't seek her out. She sought them out.

If your reaction to imagery of someone having their throat slit is to seek out sympathisers so that you can "understand", then you're already half way to accepting their justifications. A frightening number of the IS recruitment stories start with "I just wanted to know so I sought out Islamic extremists".

I didn't think it'd be so easy to find terrorist groups posting on twitter either, that's why ISIS is so dangerous. Hell I was looking for twitter posts about a soccer match a month ago and kept finding posts by ISIS accounts using the worldwide trends to send their messages. I remember being like "what the gently caress?"

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to try and understand why people do this poo poo, though with the internet these days people who don't know better quickly find terrible people who try to brainwash them. add a mistrust of traditional media and you get a lot of people who get recruited . and that's in the west, imagine what's it like in countries where the traditional media is actively censored and controlled by their govs or has a history of being controlled, the situation is probably worse there.

Hell, it's not that recent a phenomenon, about 10 years ago, my German language teacher told us to be careful if we looked for information on Nazis on the internet, because actual nazis had their website up and could give us propaganda.

It's something to be addressed for sure because it's quite a scary thought to think people can be manipulated so easily. people say "don't trust everything you see on tv", they should add "and please god don't believe anything you read on the internet"

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Thanks Pilate

• Locked thread