Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that didn't take long.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like a 12.2 liter engine with 15 speeds is something that Lord Humungus would roll around in. Is part of the plan to roll up next to some guys with diesel F-350s and mock their puny engines?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bet he already has the outfit, too.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

Brokeback BangBus

This is :perfect:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I feel like a 12.2 liter engine with 15 speeds is something that Lord Humungus would roll around in. Is part of the plan to roll up next to some guys with diesel F-350s and mock their puny engines?
I'm also going to humiliate their puny F-350 wangs. The irony is, that thing can't outrun a JB-Hunt truck empty..

Motronic posted:

Brokeback BangBus

You guyyyyyssss :allears:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
More turbos is the answer.

And broke back bang bus.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I love a good bus thread :allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That definitely needs a big loving turbo or two, and some intercooling.

This borg-warner tractor pull turbo for example:

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/files/pdf/dimensional_reference/airwerks/K44.pdf
(horsepower corresponds fairly closely to lb/min x 10 on a compressor chart).

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 9, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm also going to humiliate their puny F-350 wangs. The irony is, that thing can't outrun a JB-Hunt truck empty..

Needs some Variable Vane Turbo goodness.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Or an L18.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

Or an L18.

Yeah, if they wanted to get less than 5MPG and have no towing, and climb hills like an asthmatic before stalling.

This ain't a Uhaul.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, if they wanted to get less than 5MPG and have no towing, and climb hills like an asthmatic before stalling.

This ain't a Uhaul.

But it'd be a unique swap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

But it'd be a unique swap.

I see what you did there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Will you guys stop fighting and just make out already, drat

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can picture it now. Throbbing, pulsating diesel vibrations that would alone cause the comically-oversize bumper-mounted phallus to jiggle amusingly instead make it vibrate threateningly when combined with the additional driver of 12-ply, regrooveable tyres on segmented highway concrete at 70 miles an hour.

Similar reverberations come to the cabin of the full-size pickup ahead, this time 44-inch swampers that will never see a swamp, transmitting through heavy-duty lifted suspension destined to never carry anything other than coolers to a tailgate party.

There would have been a bassline, too, had the headunit not been slapped off by panicked fingers, the owner of which's most obvious feature was a line of sweat exiting from under a flatbill cap and then disappearing once more behind mirrored Ray-Bans.

The eyes behind the Ray-Bans, though stung with sweat, maintained a locked stare on the rear-view mirror. Sure, it had been a laugh. And too tempting to resist, that open window set at the perfect height to align with a 6-inch bore exhaust stack. But now no-one in the cabin found it as funny as they had when that belch of deliberately mis-tuned smoke had made its perfect, perfect trajectory between the two orifices.

A simple escape thwarted by unexpected reserves in the should-have-been-a-victim's engine bay, the aging lump of mass transit infrastructure's own exhaust blasting out an answering dark cloud, this time one born not of actively trying to achieve that end, but of giving a fuel pump as much leeway to match turbos with the wick turned up as can be achieved without the EGT signalling mechanical doom.

An EGT gauge lacked by its table-turned quarry, exhaust headers glowing yellow-orange beneath the hood, full throttle now working to reveal the inadequecies in the modification chain in a way that even Bill Hewitt's drawl couldn't have enunciated more clearly.

Close now, with the anatomically correct proboscis that opened this tale now performing its crazed dance mere inches from the automotive taint between a 2" receiver and the silicone rubber testes hanging beneath it. But the bus behind it was not itself at full throttle yet.

A situation corrected by its driver, making use of the final inch of pedal travel, the changed pitch of his engine unheard by the pickup's occupants over their own screams.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

:awesome:

but it already has the biggest turbo of its time, and the rev limit set 400rpm over its governed speed.

also the 4.11 gears aren't doing it any justice at all. the only way to make the thing faster is with a smaller modern engine. annnd thats not happening. Not yet anyway.
BTW, its mounted with 3/8" solid plate. jellied engine mounts and shock absorbers? Pffft. Leave that for the OM617.

Ooh! Bubbles!
well, at least I can solder that.

Floors screwed in and painted.

my 800/1600W ghettoverter, the battery for the work lights, and the power converter that came with it. (this is getting deleted, but it made a great tap for the ghettoverter)

CB removed, fan re-installed, and re-installed the visors.

Next up: treating bus STDs

E: First shake down run on christmas boys!

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 9, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So when I fixed the sending unit last week I peered into the depths of hell and saw some rather dark nasty looking diesel. Juuuust incase this stuff is infected, I bought some biocide and shocked the tank. The best fix is to drain it and flush the system, but with ~50 gallons of diesel I'm just going to burn the poo poo off as fast as possible... and with a 4 day weekend this weekend, and in 2 weeks, Pretty sure it should have a good dent in it.

Everything that was thrown up front was thrown to the back of the bus. Now its time to refloor the mid/forward sections.
cue the destruction of the dated dinette. 40+ year old bolts got sawzalled out. Old carpet gone.

The driver's seat has to stay put until I replace the two front airbags. A jig has to be built (or huge rear end jackstands) to hold the axle away from the frame.
Speaking of airbags.

Rode over after work to cut the remaining bench seat out, supermoto guest appearances

ugh, lighting. theres so many missing marker lights on the exterior. This will be an upcoming project. I'm also going to split the clearance lights onto their own switch like trucks of the era did.

and dash lighting isn't much better. half the gauges aren't lit.

A few attempts made at soldering this old rear end radiator but it was just a game of playing move the pinhole. yeah gently caress you whore.

marine grade gently caress you. good for 485F or thereabouts, and can cure under water.

Started on the midfloor, painting, and insulation. most of these access holes aren't needed. The locations were noted and they'll be covered.

Bonus videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBn5aCCwosU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPG8PSLX_w

Planning to have the flooring and airbags done by the end of this weekend.

poo poo to do by Dec 24th

Mid Floor
-forward street side door drain box needs to be built
-finalize mid floor

Fore floor
-Remove table stand
-Cut access hatch for shifter/air lines
-Paint the yes
-refloor entire area, build boxes over wheel wells
-remove/reinstall drivers seat

Chassis
- Front air springs
-Coolant temp sensor leak
-fuel filter clean/flush
-remount rear door latches
-reinforce ceiling
-wire left windscreen fan

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Am I still supposed to show up to adjust your brakes?

I'll need a six pack, wheel chocks, a tape measure and a 7/16" wrench.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

So when I fixed the sending unit last week I peered into the depths of hell and saw some rather dark nasty looking diesel. Juuuust incase this stuff is infected, I bought some biocide and shocked the tank.

What's the deal here, is it algae or something that builds up in the diesel?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's the deal here, is it algae or something that builds up in the diesel?

Yeah, algae grows in diesel. It's disgusting and can cause a real headache. I've seen it in boats that were left with untreaded fuel over the winter. Clogs up filters and injector pumps, ugly to clean out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Am I still supposed to show up to adjust your brakes?

I'll need a six pack, wheel chocks, a tape measure and a 7/16" wrench.

Come do air lines with me and I'll upgrade you to your choice of burger or burrito and a growler.

Not to mention some alges will have an all you can eat buffet out of the injectors and fuel system in general.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Come do air lines with me and I'll upgrade you to your choice of burger or burrito and a growler.

Are we talking about a new roll of synflex and you have the right ends and crimper, or should I have my lawyer prepare a release of liability for you to sign before I get started?

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
I'll keep an eye out for this thing around SF. My '85 corolla could probably fit in the back.

Also I'll never complain about having to jack up my car after contemplating suspension work on a bus...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Motronic: YES.

if a FSJ can fit, your rolla' can. (~92" and less will fit in that hole just fine)

as for lifting it. they're all the same, the parts and risk is just bigger.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is it really algae though? This page tells me that it's just various compounds from the crude oil that oxidizes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

, or should I have my lawyer prepare a release of liability for you to sign before I get started?

This is the standard answer for this thread.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is the standard answer for this thread.

Anything involving me. :V

back to the sizing.

The overall coach is 39' long, 8' wide.
Interior space measured from rear door to the big chrome knob is 37' 6". Width from door to door is 7'6"

fwiw the 4104 was 35' overall, and around 30' inside because of the engine being in the way. This is a problem for most bus conversions. Mid engine feels like cheating. I'm sure I'll remember that later when I have to replace one of the heaterhoses somewhere in the abyss.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

cursedshitbox posted:

The overall coach is 39' long, 8' wide.
Interior space measured from rear door to the big chrome knob is 37' 6". Width from door to door is 7'6"

Now I'm really excited to see your interior progress. I'm planning on doing a shipping container office at some point and the interior dimensions are really similar.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Rode over after work to cut the remaining bench seat out, supermoto guest appearances

Supermoto best moto.

06 KTM 625 SMC

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 12, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

Supermoto best moto.

06 KTM 625 SMC

:hf:

Spent the day busting loving dicks.

Some things with photos. a lot more without.

Firstoff: the one loving door we want to keep, leaks.

yeah gently caress you got your fix right *here*

David drilled drain holes and built a drain box out of sheet metal. The white tape you see is called "Eternabond" its like Duct Tape's loving ex wife. It sticks to the non-stick backing it comes with. It is -the- poo poo for RVs and the like. It however, ain' very cheap. (we'll go through about 10 rolls on this build. :v:)

I painted the walls all the way to the front, stripped the carpet out, extracted the loving table mount by means of hate.
David started on insulating the holes in the floor the PO cut for access.

You'll also note the charger/converter has hosed off and I screwed the inverter to the wall and wired it directly. I do not like how the cables are run, or the absurd amounts of length. When the fore floor is laid, this is going to be removed. For now though, we need to run the shop vac.

David started cutting floor boards and POR'ing everything metal between the mid/fore floor.

Nice pretty arches. Shame I didn't get better photos of this. (pay attention to the R/H headlight bucket)

Reinstalled the cover for that. Fire extinguisher is going to go here. I plan to put another near the drivers seat too.

No pics but: pulled the radio out, fixed the janky wiring, removed the 30' of cable going to rear speakers that don't exist. Remounted stereo correctly so it would actually stay in place. traced parking light wiring so I can branch the parking lamps and clearance lamps off on their own circuits. Fixed the fuel gauge lamp while I was in there. Took measurements for the access hatch for the shifter/air lines. Braced one of the 3 rear ceiling cross members, drilled the holes for the rear door latch reinforcements. Also got the big caulk out and sealed the unused street side doors.

Normal ride height

Lift over ride.

Floor panels all cut, painted, and screwed in. we'll need 1/2" sheet to lay over the fore section to make it all level.

Rear section got backer rod and more urethane caulk. Mid section painted.

E2: CSB Used paint!

poo poo to do by Dec 24th

Mid Floor
-forward street side door drain box needs to be built
-finalize mid floor

Fore floor
-Remove table stand
-Cut access hatch for shifter/air lines
-Paint the yes
-refloor entire area, build boxes over wheel wells
-remove/reinstall drivers seat

Chassis
- Front air springs
-Coolant temp sensor leak
-fuel filter clean/flush
-remount rear door latches
-reinforce ceiling
-wire left windscreen fan

E:

yup, painting this on the bus.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 13, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Can I dream that the project will end up like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CesOhyOak

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

never even fired the bus with em, iirc it was looping em around and his controller that was being dickish. The battery also wasn't quite up to the task of powering an array of those fuckers.

Good to know! :D a gallon of POR cam with it, pretty sure it won't last very long either. :v:

Did you find the POR goes about 5x further than you expect? Two coats on a pickup axle was almost exactly a 2oz (two ounces like a whisky shot) can for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

quote:

-Paint the yes 

The anticipation is killing me :v:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Cool thread dude.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Did you find the POR goes about 5x further than you expect? Two coats on a pickup axle was almost exactly a 2oz (two ounces like a whisky shot) can for me.

yes. could probably POR the whole drat bus with the gallon we have.

Its been rainy and lovely all week. Its still being a boat. duct tape and balin wire? nope. Eternabond and Urethane.

Domelight switched out for a LED version. Its way too blue for my likes though. so much for white.

Roof trusses braced.

Water ingress through this crack. I can't find the weatherstripping this thing uses for poo poo.

David doing more flooring

Midway up you'll see a box cut. that is an access hatch for the front axle. There will be another just to the right of the shifter.
(If you're keen of eye, you'll see I've re-routed the gauge connections and put the flooring back in beside the throttle)

Routing Pyrometer leads through the dash.

No. Absolutely not.

Better.

not pictured: more caulk, more caulk, and more caulk. Fixed the rear door latch as well. gently caress taking the drivers seat out, theres 5" bolts holding it in with nylocs, all precariously mounted in a place you can't get to.

Also the road trip on xmas is off the books. Manager had his garage broken into and they cleaned house so his dirtbikes are gone. we'll use that time to do more buss stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

Domelight switched out for a LED version. Its way too blue for my likes though. so much for white.

Also the road trip on xmas is off the books. Manager had his garage broken into and they cleaned house so his dirtbikes are gone. we'll use that time to do more buss stuff.

You have to find LED's marketed as "Bright white, 4500K, or even Warm white", but the "White" will be mismatched purple/blue/white, kinda like crappy HIDZZZZZ.

Also, gently caress those thieves. Merry Fuckin' Christmas.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

You have to find LED's marketed as "Bright white, 4500K, or even Warm white", but the "White" will be mismatched purple/blue/white, kinda like crappy HIDZZZZZ.

Also, gently caress those thieves. Merry Fuckin' Christmas.

You'd think a reverse light wouldnt be 7000 kelvin or whatever. :v: Lesson learned, I want hot white reverse lights.

yeah gently caress those pricks. manager thinks its the neighbors, his insurance agent laughed and said yeah you ain' covered. Its pretty lovely all around, the guy is the best manager I've ever had.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

not pictured: more caulk, more caulk, and more caulk.

The story of your life. :bigtran:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

The story of your life. :bigtran:

Business rear end usual :D

I drew this up last night. Current and proposed gauge/switch locations. Empty lines are currently unused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

Business rear end usual :D

I drew this up last night. Current and proposed gauge/switch locations. Empty lines are currently unused.

If it were me, i'd subtly glue a tiny dick over the pyro meter's needle.

• Locked thread