Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I just bought a used vehicle from a dealership, and within days my mailbox was full of extended warranty spam. It's mildly annoying, but mainly I'm curious how these companies got my name and address, along with the make and model of the vehicle I just bought/registered.

Googling this, it seems that people are unsure whether vehicle registration records are publically available (how? I don't exactly see a link to "find out who registered cars recently" on the Florida DMV website), or that this info is sold to them (by whom?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Stanos posted:

Going to guess the dealership. They probably sell the information and/or get a cut if someone buys an extended warranty. Wouldn't surprise me, car dealers in my experience have been scummy as hell.

The car is certified pre-owned from an official Honda dealership so I think this is unlikely. Not that I think manufacturer dealers can't be scummy, but this seems like they'd have a lot to lose if they got caught and not much to gain. Especially when it comes to a customer that just drove away with a manufacturer's warranty.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 30, 2015

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've gotten this spam after in-family title transfers. I don't know if it's the county, DMV, or insurance selling the information, but there's no dealer involved in that chain.
It would make a lot of sense for it to be the insurance company. Did you have to start a new policy after transferring the vehicle? Did you shop for insurance online? I did and you give a whole lot of information to people who don't have any reason not to sell it in the process.

• Locked thread