Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, its good to see that bringing in a suspect alive only applies to white people. Everyone else can get shot through the passenger window of the patrol car with nary a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Well "he looked older" -totally not racist reasoning given by a lawyer in employment by a government for why a 12 year old is dangerous to an adult cop.

Obviously if you are black, if you look older apprehend the suspect is out the window. Shoot to kill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Like even IF this was a 25 year old man walking down the street with a real, loaded gun, how can you possibly argue that rolling up and executing him is legal??? It's actually saying that cops can murder literally anyone as long as they say "I felt threatened" regardless of what actually happened like in that season 1 Southpark episode.

Especially considering they love playing up the 'We apprehended an armed suspect without incident' card all the time, unless they are black and then suddenly 'My life was in danger'

Cole posted:

the shoot wasn't justified and charges should be filed, but Tamir Rice was 5'7" and 195 pounds. That's well bigger than your average 12 year old whether you are white or black, so saying he looked older is pretty legitimate. It still doesn't excuse what happened.

In the context of their argument, it doesn't matter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal"

Drive Up Police Executions: approved by MattD1zzl3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zas posted:

if he looked older that just means he was executed for practicing his 2nd amendment rights, the nra will be all over this one

You can only open carry when you are white. You know that.

quote:

Prosecutor in Rice case now saying:

"He appeared to be much older than he really was...5"7, 170 lbs, size 12 shoes, XL men's jacket."

LOOK HOW OLD HE LOOKED! He had to die!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zas posted:

his weight and apparent age is entirely immaterial as to whether he deserved to be the victim of a police drive by, meaning the prosecuter had no reason to bring it up, hope this helps

I look forward to the future of police work this trend sets:

"Random black driver shot during commute because he was probably fleeing police. Let his death serve as a warning to other commuters to obey traffic laws."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

No, I think Tamir Rice is dead for no reason and the cop should be charged.

However, if you honestly think harping on "HE SAID HE LOOKED OLDER WHAT A MORON!!!" when the victim was the almost the size of a fully grown American male, regardless of race, you are not doing much to help the case against the officer, because someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds definitely looks older than 12 years old.

The point is there are many, MANY reasons why this shooting was unjustified, but everyone is focused on the one that holds the least amount of credibility. Tamir Rice looked older than 12 years old based on his size, and you are just grasping at straws to think otherwise.

And if someone was looking to file charges, harping on Tamir Rice not possibly looking older than 12 years old would not hold up in court.

Just stop. Apparently the prosecution thought it was enough of a deal to bring it up as a way to defend their officers. And its a stupid one at that, even if he DID look that old.

Its a red herring either way, and you don't need to defend a freaking red-herring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

Saying that someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds looks older than 12 years old is dog whistle racism?

How big are the 12 year olds around where you live?

It. Doesn't. Matter. Its a red herring. The fact that prosecution even brought it up as a way to defend should be enough for you stop defending it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

i can understand it.

what YOU can't understand is that he could possibly look older based on his height and weight, which is the one of the only factual things the cop said in his statement, and trying to refute it isn't going to help discredit the person who pulled the trigger.

I don't think it's wrong of me to want people to focus on things that are actually wrong in this case. Saying he looked older is not wrong. Everything else is. So it isn't wrong to want people to focus on the "everything else."

Cole would like to legitimize the Prosecution's claim that Tamir looked older than 12, therefore the shooting was justified and somehow this fact was important to bring up during a Grand Jury as proof that they needed to kill him.

Please stop Cole. You're embarrassing yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

I don't know. Why not ask the people who were talking a lot about it before I ever got here?

Like the Grand Jury? They presented him looking older as evidence that the shooting was justified, yet here you are trying to say that somehow his age enters into their decision to drive up to a 12 year old with a pellet gun and shoot him through the passenger side window of their vehicle.

It was important enough that his appearance relative to his age was brought up in the officer's defense at the Grand Jury. So stop.

Pathos posted:

I didn't even connect the dots that Georgia is an open carry state. That additional fact makes this entire thing even more disgusting. I really wonder how many extrajudicial killings this country needs before something actually changes. I'm guessing the answer is "depressingly high".

This was in Cleveland. Which is still in an Open Carry state.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

Because harping on the one justifiable part of the cop's statement doesn't help anything, and I would rather people help the cause rather than hurt the cause.

They used his appearance as justification to shoot on sight. And you don't see why we're upset about that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

And I said that because, as I've stated multiple times, it is silly to give any focus to the one part of the officer's statement that can be considered justifiable, which some people have been doing, rather than all of the other stupid poo poo he did.

Again, its not justifiable. Because their argument, and this is key and what you've been glossing over, is that his appearance as to his age allowed them, in their words, to engage him with gunfire out of fear of their own safety.

From the passenger seat of the cruiser.

That they pulled up next to him from less than 5 feet away.

If he looked so loving old and scary, why the gently caress did they pull up to him like a McDonalds drive through?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

His size isn't justification for the shoot, but thinking he looks older than 12 based on his size is justifiable. If I saw Tamir Rice from a distance at the mall or at the grocery store and thought he was older than 12, that would be a justifiable thought.

joeburz posted:

he could be 30 and 300 lbs and not change the fact that in an open carry state a cop killed someone from a car before it even fully stopped accelerating

He could've been a loving 30 year old NBA star and this would still be wrong.

Age does NOT ENTER INTO the justification to shoot to kill. Ever. At all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

I never said it did, so thanks for the irrelevant comment?

No, you're just here saying that their statement about his age was justified, while conveniently forgetting that they used this justification in a Grand Jury to legitimize shooting him.

But hey, keep on arguing about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raerlynn posted:

Actually I see what Cole is saying here.

Disconnect for a moment, that the prosecutor is trying to make that claim to make the lack of prosecution easier for society at large to swallow.

Objectively speaking, yes, Rice looks like he could be older than 12. That's not an excuse, it's not a justification, it's a judgment made on his physical appearance.

Cole has already said this was a bad shoot. What's he's saying is, of all the bullshit smoke that is being blown in defense of the officer, this one here is the most credible. Not that it is justified, not that it explains anything, just that objectively out of everything presented, this was the most accurate. Which doesn't say much for the accuracy of the prosecution, but there you go.

Cole makes the valid point that the focus of outrage shouldn't be arguing over his size. It's stupid and subjective. Instead focus on the parts that are objectively, universally, terrible. Like the officer's immediate decision to shoot without giving opportunity to comply, the fact that it's an open carry state, the way they treated the sister, the fact that their report is a complete contradiction to the video, that the prosecutor waited a full year plus to bury this case, or the procedural games he played to intentionally sink the case against the officer.

Focus on all THAT poo poo, not that the shitbag DA made a bullshit defense that is based on a subjective call.

No, because the statement on his age still hinges upon some stupid loving law mythos that somehow being an older black guy means you become an unstoppable rhino and therefore lethal force is authorized.

And that fact that somehow his looking older justified their response method seeing as they felt the need to bring it up in the grand jury.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well, you see, Blacks are more dangerous when they pass puberty. Somehow him being older matters in the grand jury.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This still doesn't make sense though. If the officers believed he had a real gun and was pointing it at people, why would they needlessly endanger both themselves and the suspect by pulling up within a few feet and surprising him? They created a situation where the slightest twitch by Rice "justifies" the shooting rather than approaching with caution so they could use the minimum of force necessary to defuse the situation. I can understand not bringing murder charges, but how in the world is creating a situation that so obviously could result in someone getting shot not at the very least negligent homicide even if we get into a clinical explanation.

That's the saddest part of this whole encounter: They roll up on the kid, driving on the grass, pull up LESS THAN FIVE FEET from him, shoot him, THEN EXIT THE CAR AND RUN AROUND TO THE OTHER SIDE OF IT.

If they were actually afraid for their lives, they would've come up to the street side and carefully approached the subject. No, they rolled up like they were going to order lunch at a drive through and shot him, THEN fled out of the vehicle for their safety while the suspect was laying on the ground less than 3 feet from them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I know this is nitpicking, but he wasn't a suspect. He wasn't suspected of committing a crime. He was just a 12 year old child.

They rolled up, show a 12 year old child, and THEN fled out of the vehicle for their safety while the 12 year old child was bleeding to death on the ground.

They then handcuffed his sister while the 12 year old child bled to death on the ground.

A 12 year old child.

Not a suspect.

:smith:

Agreed. For being afraid for their lives, they sure were willing to get as close as possible to the possible threat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Have you actually read any accounts or seen any videos? (i presume so). They did not regard the man (they were not told anything about age, he's pretty much as big as a smaller grown man) as a threat so they "rolled up on" the kid to speak with him and see if he was this gun waving guy they heard about on the radio. He reached to grab the airsoft pistol from his waistband, possibly to drop it on the ground, possibly to show it to the officers and say "Hey, this isnt a real gun, see, possibly to point it at them because he disliked policing in cleveland and was a moron (a shocking percentage of the cleveland population is). The officers now have the guy they heard is waving a gun around NEAR A KIDS PLAY AREA they can see grabing his gun and they totally reasonably blew him away. Nothing about his age or the fakeness of his gun made it unreasonable for the police to think that this is a dangerous criminal and a threat to their lives. You cant be seriously arguing "Let them point the gun at you first and see what happens, perhaps they wont fire" or "Just let that guy with the baseball bat keep charging at you, maybe he'll drop it" because #handsupdontshoot or something.

Except for all the times they have done that.

For feeling threatened and in danger of their lives, they sure did drive awful close to that shooter.

Get loving help.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I agree its strange to pull right up to a known armed threat, which is why i think thats not what happened.

Just stop. What you think happened and what recorded video shows happened differ entirely. Go troll somewhere else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Its a shame that everyone feels the need to retreat to their own little subreddits here in D&D, i'm happy to do this here.

Nah, we just have nothing to discuss with a guy frolicking in the death of an innocent teenager. But hey.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waco Panty Raid posted:

1. What state's threshold isn't met by sticking a handgun in the waistband, especially when wearing winter clothing? I'm pretty sure Ohio's is (I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it without a permit; I also wouldn't recommend it with a permit but that's getting into a tangent).

Um....a lot of concealed carries carry them in a holster under the waistband. But its an open carry state, you do not need a permit. I don't think you understand what Open Carry means if you are mentioning permits.

Especially if we are approaching this from the angle the police did: That he was a lot older than we know he was.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

2. The bottom line is that appealing to open carry in this situation is ridiculous. No open carry law I'm aware of would condone pointing a gun at people or making incredibly ill advised motions towards the waistband where the gun is located.

He didn't point the gun at anyone. And the cops didn't give him any time to POSSIBLY even make a motion, considering that less than a second after he noticed them, he was shot and on the ground.

Did you even watch the film?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Who said his method of carry was evidence of intent to murder? I'm saying that open carry has nothing to do with Tamir Rice because it doesn't make him pointing a gun (or a close facsimile of one) at people or his motions towards his waistband somehow OK.

Got it. Shoot to kill at all times.

That is not how this works. Go watch the video and shut the gently caress up about him pointing a gun at anyone until you do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Is there really a big difference between standing around in a public place pointing a gun off camera at who knows what, and pointing it at "someone"?

There IS a pretty big difference between open carry of a gun in an open holster/slung/low ready and having it up and waving it around.

There is also a big difference between apprehending a suspect and driving up on the grass less than 3 feet from him and shooting him point blank with no attempt to de-escalate the situation.

But whose counting right? Better to shoot first and ask questions later.

This is not judge dredd.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Yes he did? That blob they blurred out was a person he was walking next to, right?

No, it wasn't, but nice wishful thinking

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Hell even in the frames where a person wasn't visible he still wouldn't be covered by open carry. What open carry system permit you to have a raised pistol in hand?

You heard it here folks: If you are black, no playing with toy guns, because its shoot first, ask questions later.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Did Tamir have a IWB holster? Would you recommend carrying a gun in the waistband without one? But this is exactly the kind of digression I didn't want to get into.

You need a permit for concealed carry in Ohio (unless you want to try your hand at the old affirmative defense, I think that's still on the books, but you're still getting arrested and going to trial at that point). Carrying a gun in your waistband is at the very least skating close to the edge (and that is with the shirt tucked behind the gun, Tamir was wearing loose clothing).

Again, toy gun. No attempt to apprehend the suspect, just bang, dead, done.

I don't want to live in your world of law enforcement, because that is dystopian as poo poo, and you're an idiot for pushing for it as an acceptable solution.
Go troll somewhere else where you are not obviously proposing absurd dystopian futures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah but you said, "He didn't point the gun at anyone."

No no, keep telling me how the police driving up on him and shooting him point blank from the comfort of their car was a legitimate method to use in this situation. No attempt at desecalation. No attempt at apprehension.

We just shoot and kill on sight now for 911 calls. Got it.

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah but you said, "He didn't point the gun at anyone."

Shut up and go watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIvQVU_pmBg

He goes from sitting at a bench, to wander to the other side of the patio and then the cop car pulls up and they shoot him point blank through the passenger window.

No pointing. No waving. No reaching. No warning. You guys are actually arguing that they were justified in shooting a 12 year old without attempting to defuse the situation that they probably actually knew nothing more than the 911 call told them at this point.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 29, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress are you even talking about? The only thing I'm rebutting is your claim that he "never pointed the gun at anyone" and even then only to say "well he pointed the gun at stuff, in public, that's still pretty bad right?" But you can keep having a masturbatory fantasy where I am some cop-defending madman cackling at this kids death.

He didn't. I posted the video for you. Show us where he did it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Really? Then what was it?

Not in that video, because there are not blobs and no other people other than the cruiser, the two officers, and Tamir Rice.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

What does this have to do with everything Tamir Rice did was okeedokee under open carry?

The point about Open Carry is that in a state where its legal, police show up and shoot a suspect in less than 5 seconds arriving on scene? No deescalation? No attempt to dissuade the perp? Just wham, bam, thank you mam?

How is open carry possibly supposed to work in such a state?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

He's even in a shooting stance in the first shot. Also note a clear other person in the second shot. Is that one of the cops because for someone who watched the video so much you're pretty adamant that it only shows three people...

To compare, something like this would probably be OK under open carry laws, the top shot, not so much.

:doh: Must be a different video. Got me.

Elendil004 posted:

I want to say that I think the entire thing from the lovely dispatch to the grand jury is indicative of the systemic problems in American policing. Maybe we should focus on that instead of pedantry.

Maybe. Either way, changing the way police approach situations is something we need to get on. Their method was incorrect and crude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waco Panty Raid posted:

If "fat gross white idiot people" pulled the same poo poo Tamir did you wouldn't hear me crying about their right to open carry. Which was my point from the beginning, what Tamir Rice did has little if anything to do with open carry being legal in Ohio.

They did. Bundy ring a bell?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love that we're still appealing to the validity of the Grand Jury, despite the fact that its blatantly obvious, with the DA's comments post Grand Jury and the false police reports, combined with the video evidence, that the Grand Jury was in no way carried out with any intent of actually establishing the truth of the case.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

That's not what a grand jury indictment finds. The grand jury finds for indictment, not guilt. Not all cases that pass the grand jury are supposed to end in a finding of guilt.

And yet that is what the past few shooting cases have used the Grand Jury to prove. Regardless of the purpose of the Grand Jury, its being used by the Right and by the Police as ways to absolve guilt, regardless of the evidence. You need look no further than the Grand Jury in Missouri over that shooting, where it was blatantly obvious after the DA came out of the GJ that they did not go in to indict, but to absolve the police of any responsibility in their actions.

Especially this most recent shooting, where its directly flies in the face of the evidence we have, and then the actions of the DA post GJ against the victims family speaks differently of the GJs purpose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

The grand jury isn't a means of determining guilt. That's not what the grand jury is for.

I'm agreeing with you on this point But that has not stopped the Right, Fox News, and others for USING the Grand Jury results, and even people in this VERY thread from using the Grand Jury ruling as 'Well, you see, they were right to shoot him'

Discendo Vox posted:

The thing you want to attack is prosecutorial discretion, which is not the same thing as a grand jury. As Dead Reckoning said, complaining that the grand jury found insufficient means to indict is like complaining that a car's brakes don't make it go faster.

I am attacking that, I am also point out that multiple people have, again in this very thread, jumped on the Grand Jury ruling as proof that the officers acted justly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My point is more towards people like Jarmak and others.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Then please indicate that that's what you're doing- you jumped into a discussion of a different claim to make an unrelated point, which just further confuses the discourse.

My bad, I didn't mean to mislead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Could you please point out an instance of me making that argument?

Or hell, anyone?

Jarmak posted:

It doesn't work like that, a defense attorney has an ethical duty to defend his client regardless of guilt, a DA has an ethical duty to not pursue charges against people they think are innocent.

The DA directly ignored falsified police statements by the officers on the scene, attempted to misconstrue evidence, and then threw a grand jury, immediately after laying bare the fact that he basically wouldn't had tried the case before the grand jury even if the cops had written their guilty admission in the victims own blood on their patrol car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

edit:also there's a poo poo ton of daylight between "not murder" and "they did the right thing"

No, effectively, if they fail to properly execute their jobs as public servants, its murder. They don't get a get out of murder free card for being bad at the whole police thing.

Especially since the shooter in this case had a record of being very bad at doing his job.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 3, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

The idea that this is a binary thing that goes from "Good job" to "murder" is insane

And that's not even getting into situations where someone has the legal right to use force but its not the optimal choice.

Slanderer posted:

This makes perfect sense if you have no idea what murder means in a legal context anywhere

quote:

Under the common law (law originating from custom and court decisions rather than statutes), murder was an intentional killing that was:
unlawful (in other words, not legally justified), and
committed with "malice aforethought."
Malice aforethought doesn't mean that a killer has to have acted out of spite or hate. It exists if a defendant intends to kill someone without legal justification or excuse. In addition, in most states, malice aforethought isn't limited to intentional killings. It can also exist if the killer:
intentionally inflicts serious bodily harm that causes the victim's death, or
behaves in a way that shows extreme, reckless disregard for life and results in the victim's death.

In today’s society, murder is defined by statute, rather than common law. And, though contemporary statutes emanate from common law, one has to look to these statutes for important distinctions. Like the difference between first and second degree murder.

Y'know what? Just admit it you two. Admit it that you want to justify Tamir Rice's killing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

Hmm yes you're right, I'm sure those lovely cops believed that they weren't legally justified when they pulled the trigger, you willfully dense piece of poo poo

Please tell us how they were legally justified in rolling up on a kid from three feet and shooting him through the passenger side window of the cruiser with no attempt to deescalate the situation you dense moron.

Not even the US Military has such loose restrictions on Rule of Engagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

Did I say they were justified? No, moron. Were they justified? Of course not, you dumb poo poo.

Did they think they were? Of course they did

Based on his last performance review, that cop couldn't even tell if he was justified to go to the bathroom on his own, let alone end a human life.

• Locked thread