Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Everything I've seen about them says they were there to poo poo-stir and things escalated, nothing about them planning to shoot anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

From "they were there to poo poo-stir" to "things escalated;" why the convenient and not-at-all leading switch to the passive voice, semper wifi?

Well because what evidence there is points to the protesters escalating things, not the shooters, but I figured I wouldn't take sides so early on.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ClancyEverafter posted:

Just post to the link to the video and blow your load already, that anticipation boner is unseemly.

These guys got what they came for, it's just that when they actually realized in the moment what the reality of what it is they were getting was, they shot some folks and ran for it. This is after they shared that juvenile pump-up video. I think it's likely a walk for the prosecutors. These people don't have to be made to look crazy, they did all that work for themselves. The guy's own cop buddy basically described him as a crazed racist sovereign citizen in the politest way possible. The trial, if there is an ounce of justice in this world, is going to be loving hilarious.

If you think the guys in the video are telling the truth (and obviously they would lie for the BLM side if they were gonna lie) how can you still think there's going to be a conviction? By their own account they attacked and then chased the 4chan guys for basically no reason, and only backed off when they started shooting. Though I guess the texts from the shooter telling his GF to hide his guns or whatever might gently caress him big time. I'm with you on the trial though, been waiting for Zimmerman redux.

rockopete posted:

They aren't cops, though, so the DA has no institutional incentive to throw the case. I'd like to think that given the evidence, it wouldn't make a difference, but after the Eric Garner case, I have to wonder.
I'm a bit surprised that didn't blow up more, given the evidence and facts of the case. Ferguson and Baltimore may have been better primed to explode, but the Garner decision was such an explicit, official devaluation of a life that it hit me harder.

It didn't blow up because the entire movement shot itself in both feet when they wasted most of their capital and energy on Brown and Gray. How stupid do you have to make a guy who got caught on video robbing and assaulting a 5 foot nothing convenience store clerk the face of your movement? On top of that the initial witness statements about HANDS UP EXECUTION, nobody with a functioning brain believed that poo poo but it got turned into a thing anyway, god knows why. Then they followed it up by rioting in Baltimore over Gray but whoops nobody actually knows what happened at all even now. Over half a year later nobody even knows how or when he got hurt, and it's hard, for me at least, to care too much about a story that vague.

Like, Garner should've been the perfect storm. NYPD on camera strangling a guy to death over cigarettes, imagine what might've happened if it had gotten the attention the Brown shooting did. Big name legislation or something. But instead everyone who cared had been loving up Nowhere, Missouri for months and was too tired to care and nothing got done.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Looks like a good shoot tbh, though the video does look kinda bad without context.

PostNouveau posted:

The number of police charged with manslaughter and murder in 2015 is triple the number for 2014.

The story cites the proliferation of video cameras as a possible cause, but I don't think it's a stretch to credit the BLM movement.

Or just statistical noise, because tripling is going from 5 to 15.

I think you can pretty fairly credit BLM for the increase in charges, though I'm curious to see how many of them actually end up convicted of anything

• Locked thread