Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stereotype posted:

In the end some cops did a poo poo job handling a kid doing something dumb, and now the kid is dead. Doing your job badly and someone getting killed as a result sort of seems like a perfect example of someone who shouldn't be doing that job anymore. I can see where it is maybe not murder, but if an EMT rushed to a traffic accident and violently pulled someone injured in a car accident out by their neck, they probably wouldn't be an EMT anymore.

Eeesh. No. Those officers actively executed a kid playing with a toy gun. The least that should happen is that they are stripped of their badge and put in a national registry so that they couldn't harm any more children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stereotype posted:

Yeah you're right, they were probably super stoked when they heard that there was a young black pre-teen in the park with a fake gun because then they could satisfy their satanic lust for child blood, they'd probably been planning on shooting someone all week. How silly of me to think they recklessly approached a situation and then cowardly panicked.

:rolleyes:

If there wasn't yet another dead black kid that actually didn't have an actual goddamn firearm in these actual United States, your reactionary hyperbole might almost be amusing. At this point it's just loving tiresome.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
LoL, that's not new poo poo, either. Trust me, I know.

drilldo squirt posted:

Haha, they hosed up doing that to a white person.

lol, k

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It gets more anachronistic than that. I've talked to multiple people who thought property ownership was a good prerequisite for voting.

I've had this argument...

"Well, they pay the taxes."

But, the owners of the properties pass the costs of those taxes onto their renters, so they aren't actually losing out for taxes or for the cost of maintaining the property, instead they are profiting, or else they wouldn't be Landlords. Rental profit is actually a tax that poors have to pay to the American Capitalist Aristocracy.

Since a significant majority (wikipedia suggest 64%) already lives in a home that they own... I can understand why some people would make this argument. Self-interest.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's basic military propaganda of dehumanization of the enemy... Police militarization isn't about the guns. It's about the ideas.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Point being, cops have some antagonistic views about the public, particularity the parts of the public they blame for producing Bad Guys. I recommend reading What Cops Know for some insight in that mindset. It's a collection of short police anecdotes, and a lot of them are pretty stark in describing how cops can wind up being pretty hosed up individuals, and some anecdotes from hosed up cops rationalizing their views with stuff like the thin blue line.

Did you know that in 1985, the Philly PD dropped bombs from a helicopter on a radical commune and ALSO burned down more than 60 neighboring homes? I didn't until recently!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE#1985_bombing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nsKDJlpUbA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
^fuckin' duh. The cost and hassle of a grand jury filters cases that DA's even file. Our entire CJ system is about agent provocateurs STING OPERATIONS!!! :911: and low hanging fruit :420:. gently caress. Stop posting, you idiot.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now, everybody on both sides would certainly like it if nothing became violent but that's one of the unspoken threats. "Address our concerns or some of us will begin to break things." If the movement is large enough that bears a great deal of weight.

Yes. State diplomats don't personally drop bombs, either.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread