Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

falcon2424 posted:

This change would create a problem in that police officers are incentivized to claim ignorance of department policy. So, if we really wanted to get incentives aligned, I'd give departments a civil duty to train their officers in policy. This way, when an officer claims ignorance, the department needs to either show that their officer was correctly trained, or become civilly liable their mistakes in training.

I feel like failing to be familiar with the policies you work under should be some sort of negligence.

"I choked a dude because I didn't actually read anything they gave me when I signed up" is not a defense, it's a confession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd personally favor just going ahead and making cops strictly liable for the physical health of anyone in their custody, with pre-existing conditions they couldn't have known about being an affirmative defense.

Abusable, but in ways that result in less dead citizens than the current arrangement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

All of the above is why I favor strict liability unless it can be conclusively proven they could not have prevented whatever injury or death is at issue. No more benefit of the doubt. Burden of proof on the person with an entire union behind them is still pretty fair.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Anyone not willing to accept a higher level of risk to save a civilian life shouldn't be a cop.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If there's any appropriate time to shoot, it's at a guy that's armed and already stabbed somebody.

This is pretty much the exact use case for a taser though, so the fact that they don't have them is kinda :psyduck:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If he's that incompetent with a firearm, he shouldn't be a cop.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The issue is more that the police will happily kick down doors and hold people at gunpoint over anonymous tips, but when it's one of their people named, all of a sudden there are procedures that must be followed before they do anything rash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have no idea how anyone can claim to conclusively see small details like that in that blurry as gently caress video.

• Locked thread