Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

rockopete posted:

They aren't cops, though, so the DA has no institutional incentive to throw the case. I'd like to think that given the evidence, it wouldn't make a difference, but after the Eric Garner case, I have to wonder.
I'm a bit surprised that didn't blow up more, given the evidence and facts of the case. Ferguson and Baltimore may have been better primed to explode, but the Garner decision was such an explicit, official devaluation of a life that it hit me harder.

I'm surprised that there aren't more DAs gunning for bad cops to nail to the wall. People are thirsty as hell to see cops going to prison when they assault and murder people. Every case of an indicted cop is national news. Actually convicting a cop would make any DA an overnight superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DARPA posted:

You got me! I think police should be summarily executed based on nothing more than anonymous post it notes found taped on USPS mailboxes/the homeless.
A hearing impaired person filed a complaint about the police openly mocking his speech impediment. Good example of bad policing that got shrugged off by the investigator.

You keep skipping the investigate step. A task you seem to believe the police department incapable of performing. Who cares if the statement is sworn? The department should still investigate. Forcing people to swear an affidavit only helps put already abused citizens at risk of a felony charge from the same department they already have an issue with.
Plus there's no guarantee that the victims are being given the chance to make a sworn statement. It's not like there's a bureaucrat ombudsman that makes sure citizens can navigate the police bureaucracy.

:derp:: "Policeman did a bad thing."
:cop:: "Fill out these forms." or "I'll take your report."
:derp:: "Is that it?"
:cop:: "Yup, bye. (doesn't bother with the notarization form that solemnizes the statement, it's a pain in the rear end anyway)"

• Locked thread