Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where all this expectation these guys would be given a pass is coming from, they're not cops. Has there been a basis for expecting anyone with pro-cop leanings is going to be given a free pass to shoot people without prosecution?

I don't know I'm exactly the opposite, I think it might be because I've choked, and been choked out, way way more violently then it that video during sparring so many times I can't even begin to try to offer a number. As a result my reaction to the video was much more "holy poo poo you can die from that!?" and after finding out there was a policy against it for that reason its always felt like a cop doing something stupid and dangerous that resulted in a freak accident then the "that cop just choked that guy to death on camera" reaction that most people have had.

I find it hard to believe that you were actually surprised that choking somebody can be fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Everybody deserves due process and a fair assessment of the facts, that's the real root of all of these threads. The actual problem here is that people abused by the police and other members of the judicial system do not get that due process. A big reason why that is the case is because the police (and the rest of the system) is supposed to investigate itself, and surprise surprise, it doesn't do that honestly. Independent oversight is the fair and moral answer to this particular problem.

• Locked thread