Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Pour a little gas down the throat of the carb and try to start it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

how can i test fuel delivery? Should I just remove and clean the carb?

A lot of times the fuel will evaporate and turn to varnish in the carb fuel bowls long before any other damage occurs. Sometimes you can get them running just by pouring gas down the vent tubes, or down the barrel just long enough for the fuel pump to catch up. It's redneck, but it will tell you a lot about the condition of the engine before you tear into and replace things that may not need to be replaced. I have seen cars sit longer and still fire up OK using this method.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It only takes a small amount, like a splash. If you have a way to fill through the vent tube that works best. Also keep a rag on hand in case it backfires.

And most importantly don't try to look down the carb while the engine cranks.

rdb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 30, 2015

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I had an 86 CRX Si, that car was a blast until it literally rusted apart.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I wouldn't have gone as far as the fire extinguisher, and I usually repeat the procedure a few times (4-5) to give it time to prime the pump and fill the bowls. After that, I do what SSS says. Although it looks like a fuel pump for that is all of $5 on rock auto, so I would probably just throw one at it out of laziness.

• Locked thread