Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that there's no operator whose gimmick is IR goggles to see through smoke is baffling. I can only assume said operator is going to be the first or second one out since it would really make smoke grenades a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Pulse fulfills that role rather well doesn't he?

Smoke grenades are an attacker thing, Pulse is a defender. :) Plus the heartbeat sensor works through walls but isn't real time and requires you to bring it up rather than just turning thermal goggles on, so they don't really overlap.

While on the subject of Pulse, jfc Ubisoft make the heartbeat sensor and Montagne's shield toggles. There's zero reason why I should need to hold those buttons down, it's not even consistent with how other gadgets work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keket posted:

To be fair, when you have either out you can't shoot anyway so what's the point of being able to hit lmb?

It's not about being able to hit LMB, it's about having to not contort to keep a finger on G or mouse4 or whatever while I'm playing. I'm guessing gadgets are bound to LB/RB on consoles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

It's this the sort of game where I'll actually have to talk to pubbies to get the most out of it

Yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AstuteCat posted:

I've personally found that bandit shock wire is better for anti drone as it seems to cover a wider area and will outright destroy drones - then I tend to pick up the batteries and use them on reinforced walls to make a careless thermite really mad when he loses his charges.

I've gotten decent success using the Mute jammers to block off corridors and stairs to stop drones then picking them up and redeploying them somewhere useful for defence, it's just really tedious.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really wish they'd buff Twitch by just giving her two drones with a taser instead of two regular drones and one taser drone. Also, do something about the hit detection on the taser, which is appalling.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't quite see the point of a suppressor when, while they don't give the enemy the bullet direction indicators, if they are looking at you then your name still pops up in red. The decrease in damage is usually a pretty big killer for myself.

The main draw of the suppressor is making it impossible for enemies to figure out where you are based on gunshots, and that basically makes them always worth it IMO. It's worth looking at damage breakpoints etc. once those are known to figure out which guns it's really not worth putting one on, but until we have that data, they're probably the best thing to get for any gun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

There's a guy whose sole ability is "has a weird tinted scope". It's still better.

That is not Glaz's ability.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Montagne is pure garbage when playing solo casual, and Blitz is much better there. Montagne is better with a coordinated team that is capable of not running off like idiots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They should really let you customise guns for the recruits, that would actually make them a viable alternative to the named operators instead of "the thing the game defaults to when you're tabbed out." Having full access to all the guns/gadgets is actually good enough to be on par with named operator special abilities.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nalesh posted:

PSA on Mute: If you see mutes put down a barricade on top of his jammers, please don't break it unless you absolutely have to, it's to catch drones.

More generally, if someone's barricaded a door and you break it down to go through, just put it back up instead of being a dick. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Duggler posted:

I think players need to stop boxing themselves into rooms so often.

You're right, but you should be talking with your teammates and asking them not to box themselves in, instead of just tearing barricades down and running off. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It wouldn't be game-breaking and would actually make Tachanka kind of useful? At least against specific comps.

It's stupid that the MG doesn't penetrate shields.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Reminder: IQ has an LMG with really fast reload speed, which is worth taking.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I've followed the advice from earlier in the thread and unlocked Thermite and Rook as my first two guys, but as I understand it as they're so popular they tend to go quickly.

So who would you suggest I unlock next? Ideally I'd like to go for a couple of people who aren't very popular, so that I get to use them more often and really learn how to use them, but can still make a contribution to my team. If it helps, I didn't really get on with Glaz in his Situation.

Thank you!

I would avoid Pulse, Montagne, IQ, Kapkan and Tachanka because their abilities are very situational or require better teamwork than you'll get out of casual play; everyone else is good.

I'd prioritise getting Blitz (so you have a shield operator), then Mute, Jager/Bandit and Glaz, in any order you want, because those are always useful. They're popular for a reason, and having most of the popular ones means you've always got someone to play.

Make sure you get one operator from each unit before getting a second, since you pay more for the second/third/etc. operator in any given unit. Once you do, Doc, Sledge, Thatcher, Ash and Twitch are some of the less popular operators with good abilities.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

keyframe posted:

There is nothing situational about Pulse. You have first shot at the enemy any time they are breaching or turning the corner, he has an amazing shotgun and ok smg and has c4 and three speed so you can flank teams in a second.

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, his only downside is when playing with a non communicating team. He does really well on teams that communicate.

Yes; I mean, it's almost as if the list I gave had both situational and non-situational abilities I was recommending against because some of them

Lemon Curdistan posted:

require better teamwork than you'll get out of casual play

:v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you take down a Castle's barricades they get refunded (but not if you're the Castle and take it down yourself), so feel free to remove bad Castle barricades.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Rook is very good and not played very often.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Dear Dev,

Please make IQ's ability an actual useful thing.

<3

It's already useful.

She can see through smoke grenades.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They should honestly fix her seeing through smoke, fix smoke being inconsistent as gently caress, and add an operator with thermal goggles who can see through smoke (and bring his own smoke grenades), then do something to make her ability more useful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't miss the campaign but it's baffling that you can't draw on the level map at the start of the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

"Classic" is a very euphemistic way of describing a gun from the 50s.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr.Citrus posted:

Right now headshots feel more like random crits than they do skilled aim.

Edit: also instant dead headshots by small caliber weapons from a mile away to the head on someone whose face is covered by ballistic glass makes no sense whatsoever, especially in a tactical shooter.

Yeah, this. The headshots working how they do with this game's damage model make zero sense, and they should be doing like 1.2 times the damage of a normal shot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Nitro is bullshit though. It's basically a better grenade but defenders get them.

Yeah. It should have a ~5s arming time or whatever and lose the beep. That would turn it from being essentially a grenade into being a much better trap, and also make IQ slightly better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

pandaK posted:

Am I missing something here with the map preferences because when I turn off Oregon in my preference the game thinks that it means I want to play in only Oregon games literally 9 games in a row.

e: the game finally put me in a different map for my tenth game, on the one other map I deselected in preferences

IIRC it's just weighting - it will try to put you in a game that isn't Oregon if one is available, but if not it will still give you Oregon, and if you stay in the same lobby, that won't prevent the game from switching to Oregon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lohli posted:

The problem with them as area denial is that because of the basics of how those weapons work, they aren't really viable as anything but fancy grenades.

Nitros give away their presence by way of sound, meaning they're not viable as a proper trap because there is no surprise if they're used that way, and the sound makes them very easy to find and deal to such an extent that can't be effective area denial.

Like I said a couple of pages ago: remove the sound, add a ~5s arming time to the nitro cell once it's landed on a surface, and suddenly you have something which is viable as a trap and buffs IQ a little.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's some video explaining the netcode out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZj4c_j9Qs

It would sure be nice if developers would stop forcing lagcomp designed for bad console hardware and P2P connections onto PC games. :sigh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is it me or is the ironsights scope-up time for the underslung shotgun operator's M4 crazy long? Like, at least as long as an ACOG scope-up.

The shotgun ADS speed is the normal speed for an assault rifle. :confused:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is it me or is the ironsights scope-up time for the underslung shotgun operator's M4 crazy long? Like, at least as long as an ACOG scope-up.

The shotgun ADS speed is the normal speed for an assault rifle. :confused:

Tried this with a holosight on and it's still hosed.

e; ditto with the FAL.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 2, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Who cares? It's not how it is, he's cheating no matter his defense.

No, it's exploiting, if you want to be pedantic. He's exploiting a bug, not using cheats. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I really like Frost. Buck, I actually like his guns. But why on earth does his ability not just fire the shotgun? The switch is literally immediate anyway.

You wouldn't be able to reload the shotgun manually if they did that, which would be a pain.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Montagne's shield is now about 60% covered in opaque blank geometric patterns for me. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hard posted:

Known. Thanks!

Cool, thanks. Didn't know if it was a driver issue or a bug.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just had a game where three teammates quit on the round before match point and the last guy went AFK, and yet the matchmaker decided not to bother putting anyone else in the match. I then aced the next round (because three of the enemy decided to go outside to try to kill me), and lost the game because the matchmaker still hadn't put any extra players in by the time the last round started. :bravo:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GyverMac posted:

For me its the nitro cells that are starting to really grind my gears. Some people have perfected the use of that poo poo to an art, throwing it with perfect accuracy from behind cover and around corners. Best part of it all is that you got at least a few seconds to go "aw gently caress not this poo poo again" as you see the loving thing sail gracefully through the air towards you.

Please ubisoft ppl, nerf that thing so it has to be set up before you can activate it.

This. It's really lovely for a game with round-based respawn.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Buck is kind of underwhelming, but Frost is so good. :allears:

Her shotgun could stand to be pump, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Castle is good with Mute so you can protect the panels, but you're insane if you take him right now when Glaz can just break the barricades clientside and get free kills.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why the gently caress does joining during the drone phase in casual not let you spawn? It's loving stupid.

e; while I'm at it, since Thatcher basically makes Twitch completely pointless, shock drones should be able to jump and she should get two of them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hard posted:

Too busy remodeling Twitch's drone into a giant bee atm.

If she legit gets a quadcopter, she'd be a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just make the laser a thin black wire instead. That's why Frost is so good. Her traps are easy to spot if you're looking but easy to miss if you're being careless. Kapkan's traps are just like HAY GUYS DON"T TOUCH ME I'M RIGHT HERE!!!

That, or make the laser visible only in a cloud of smoke/through IQ's X-ray device and let people rely on the spike to spot it.

But yeah, with Frost's beartraps in the game, Kapkan's traps are especially bad. :(

• Locked thread