Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I just play on minimum settings :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Watch the video tutorials (you can literally click on them and click skip) and you get enough renown to buy a character. Beat the situations and you'll get enough for a good chunk of the rest + pimped out guns for them. I dunno about 3 hours to unlock everyone unless you routinely ace games in your first 3 hours of play but it's really not that bad a grind.

You can filter terrorist hunt maps and game modes, it's just buried in settings -> matchmaking. I agree it's pretty dumb that's not more obvious, it took me like 10 hours before I realised, but it is still there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
go to matchmaking settings and switch it to exclusively terrorist hunt classic

I should probably point out, this is really not a singleplayer game. I got my face stomped in when I first got this in multiplayer and hid out in terrorist hunt for a few weeks but it really opens up when you're willing to actually play with other people. The learning curve is mostly in learning the maps (so playing some terrorist hunt isn't a bad idea I suppose) but once you get past that there's really no other game like it.

as for having to look down sights all the time, yeah, that's the game. I guess you can try shotguns if you really don't want that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah it really should be in a better place. You can also technically pick the map if you filter out literally all the other ones.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh, I was figuring they meant in singleplayer. Game mode wouldn't be guaranteed if other people had that set to other things either would it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
that's because it's hardcoded into the game, plane is too good a map to be shuttered away

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm stoked for those, there are a couple that I think look kinda dumb but on the whole I think they fit the game fine.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
there's already some gaudy as poo poo camos, how is this any worse.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
what the hell weapon gets that lucky cat charm do i have to go through every single gun in the game to check

e: are not all the charms available yet?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 12, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:negative:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
when will the next waves of charms be available? should I wait for the lucky cat charm or just buy one of the new operators tomorrow

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Is there a way to get Sledge's hammer to reliably go through the floor? Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it still does what it used to do and only goes through the first half. Is there a special technique to it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah like 75% of the "look at this hacker!!" clips I see look like someone that got lucky/ paid attention to their headphones. Not to say it doesn't ever happen, but people way overblow the problem I think. In like 80 hours I've only ever come up against someone that was clearly hacking like 2 or 3 times.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
See that looks to me like he saw feet*, shot where the head should be and just got very, very lucky that he hit you rather than the hostage. You're right though, it is hard to tell.

*I can't see any feet in the video but maybe the debris was positioned differently on his screen. Or maybe there was a drone in the room that slipped by your team's notice.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh yeah I'm not trying to say there aren't plenty of clips of legitimate hackers, I just don't think it's the majority.

and that sledge just going prone to hide the wallhack makes a lot of sense now you mention it, although there are still legitimate ways he could have gotten that kill.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yess lucky cat charms

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Just don't pick Castle as one of your first. There are a bunch of operators that are harder to use than others but Castle is the only one that can actively gently caress over your team if you don't use him right.

As for attachments, get foregrips on every gun that has them, there's no downside. Conversely laser sights are mostly worthless and can give away your position so unless you're playing a loud as gently caress character (any character with 3 armor) I don't think they're worth using.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Party Plane Jones posted:

You're both vastly overestimating the renown you get per game and also how long matches are. You only do ~25 minutes if your match amazingly goes to 5. Casual is rarely like that, somebody usually drops out while getting crushed.

it sounds pretty reasonable for ranked, those can go up to 9 rounds and in my experience regularly do. 30+ mins for matchmaking/loading/game is normal.

OTOH I disagree with his central point- it was worked out when it was announced here that you can get all the operators for $40 in r6 credits, so it's pretty much objectively better to go with the starter edition since you get to try the game out for less of a buy in too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
if you just wanna grind out renown then just doing loads and loads of terrorist hunt is probably the best way. Getting like 800 renown in one lump from an intense ranked game during the bonus XP weekend was extremely satisfying however.

Paradigmata posted:

game is NOT worth 60 bucks

an absurd amount of time with it like I do

uh huh

To me this whole deal seems extremely fair. You can even pick and choose the operators to pay for if you don't wanna grind them out. Only concern with it I share is that it might exacerbate hacking.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 4, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Terrorists' adoration of flashbang grenades has gotten really annoying since the buff, I feel like I'm staring at a white screen half of the rounds now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
First time this has happened to me, my renown got wiped. :argh: I'm glad that weekly challenge forced me to buy a JTF2 operator or I'd be out like 30,000 rather than just 2,000.

I was trying to buy a scope and it timed out and I must have bugged it out or something 'cause after I next got renown it went up from 0 rather than building on my previous amount.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Did you ever see your own rank? I play with friends in a different region so they can always see my rank but it's never shown up for me. Then when I did a few games in my own region I got a rank to appear.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah if they decreased it then that's news to me, I thought Dustline dramatically increased it. There are a lot of situations where I literally can't see outside as the defender unless I poke my head ripe for headshotting which I guess was the intention.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dang now I see; I'd always heard it's a good idea to put valkyrie cameras on light sources since they get masked by the light that way, but I'd always been able to see them just fine. Since I play on minimum. I didn't realise there was that big a difference in how the light looks.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You can still fuze in hostage, you just have to do it in an adjoining room/ hope you don't get unlucky. In a lot of maps there are often more people in rooms neighboring the point than there are in the point its self.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
to make up for wiping my renown last week the game decided to give me duplicates of the past 2 week's weekly challenges, already done and ready to collect? :confuoot:

well sweet I guess

sadly the double russian flag challenge didn't give me a duplicate charm to put on my gun at the same time

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Hard posted:

Dude what the hell..

I'm not a fan of customer support but i'd submit a ticket..

e: NVM i got it too..

I only lost ~2000 renown before so I couldn't be bothered. As for the extra renown, no, mine now :c00l:

(please don't take it away)

Chubbs posted:

I'm thinking of picking this up, is the playerbase still good?

yeah still plenty of people

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There are lots of ways to do it and I'm by no means the best at roaming, but generally if I'm roaming and don't have a specific plan for what I want to do (e.g. pop out of an opposite window in Oregon or Kanal, or run at them from behind on border) then as far away as possible, tucked behind a desk in a closet behind three doors where it will take a special kind of dedication to drone me out. Then start moving back at ~1:00 left when they're all way too distracted to notice you.

e: and yes I like his carbine for roaming, especially since it lets you use an acog, but then that's my playstyle. Both the GSG 9 defenders are good for roaming though because they had the forethought to wear sneakers.

Wooper posted:

You can just sit on the other side of a reinforcement and listen for the planting of the thermite charge. You put the battery down and pick it up immediately. The thermite charge takes a long time to do its thing and it will be destroyed instantly when you put the battery down so you actually have a lot of time.
It's really cheap and stupid actually.

Is there a counter to this, by the way? Because whenever I'm thermite and I go up against a bandit that does this (which isn't so uncommon these days) it literally 100% nullifies me, unless someone else is covering the breach/ kills bandit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Speaking of terrorist hunt, would it ever be feasible to let us play both defenders and attackers in all of its modes? I use it to try out guns and gadgets and stuff a lot but protect hostage is about thirty thousand times harder to pull off by yourself than the attacking modes so it means I pretty much never try the defenders that way. It took me about a dozen extremely exasperating deaths in multiplayer before I worked out how to throw nitro cells properly for instance because I barely tried them.

Plus attacking as pulse sounds intensely satisfying.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
you can? lone wolf/ squad only :toot:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ohh, I see. I never tried the terrorist hunt matchmaking, I always just play it with people in my squad.

On the other hand, I finally tried out Article 5 the other day and drat there are a lot of people playing it still for some reason? :confuoot: I was trying the "queue simultaneously with your friends to get into the same game" thing with it while thinking we'd probably have to wait like half an hour for another couple of people to show up, but instead... all three of us instantly matched into different, full, games.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Why did they buff pulse anyway? I thought he was already pretty good, but now his scanner is practically effortless to use.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I take back what I said earlier about the hacking problem not being that bad. My group has ranked up enough to be routinely matched against platinums and diamonds now and it's starting to get absurd. Two days in a row we've been in games where it's devolved to the point where they were straight up shooting us as we spawned in with no attempt to hide it whatsoever, taunting us in the chat as they did it.

The worst part is that nearly every game we get accused of it ourselves- including the two where we fought the overt hackers. We beat them both in the first round and I dunno if they rationalized that the only way we could possibly win is by hacking so "we should just hack in response" or what but it's getting pretty loving irritating.

I still think that at the lower ranks it's not much of a thing, so for new players it shouldn't be that much of a concern, but at this rank it's just unbearable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think the tracking change is good, without it you're mostly just handicapping newbies, for experienced players I dunno if it made that much difference? (not a pulse player)

To be honest even with this change though... Pulse hasn't been taking up that much attention. He is now on the priority kill list and an operator we always assume there's gonna be, like Thermite and Blackbeard were before, but it's not like he's singlehandedly loving over teams repeatedly.

A change I'd like to see instead of re-nerfing him would be to let IQ use her ability with her main weapon. Just let her have it on all the time. I don't really see the problem with that to be honest, and it lets her nullify Pulse a lot more effectively.

also having him lose his C4.. I wouldn't be against it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
in other news, information on the new operators in "Skull Rain"

quote:

Caveira is the defensive Operator of the two. As such, she possesses the “Silent Step” skill that enables her to sneak up on enemies to immobilize and then interrogate them to reveal their teammates’ location. Her arsenal includes an M12 and SPAS-15 for primary weapons, a PRB92 as a secondary, and Nitro Cell C4 and Barbed Wire for gadgets.

As the attacker, Capitão carries a tactical crossbow that can fire asphyxiating bolts that burn oxygen within a certain radius, as well as micro smoke grenades that can mask positions and team movements. Capitão also has an M-249 and PARA-308 for primary weapon options, a PRB92 for secondary, and frag and stun grenades rounding her available arsenal.

Operation Skull Rain will also have a new map for teams to do battle. Set in a Brazilian favela, this new map supports exterior shell destruction, making it Rainbow Six Siege’s most destructible map to date. The new map will be free for all players.

I was expecting a ninja operator with the Japanese but I'm happy for it to come earlier, it's exactly the sort of defender I've wanted for ages.

and is it a typo or are they both women? :laugh:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
He also destroys the thermite charge with his batteries and has one of the best guns in the game as opposed to one of the worst.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

you're right that I didn't see the other rounds but this is like the least suspicious clip I've ever seen.

I think it's something about Ash, there's a guy in my group who plays Ash regularly and when he does he gets called out for hacking all the drat time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Speaking of, I've been kinda hopeful for a super vertical style map, like maybe a Tokyo skyscraper for the Japan DLC or something. The distinctness of plane rather than it being a bunch of rooms in a building shape is why it's my favourite map in the game, it'd be nice to have more strange ones like that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I would like the atmosphere okay if I could queue up for it with a squad of friends rather than only being able to play with random pubbies who are as likely to shoot me as they are the terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
just came here to post the C4 thing. drat. that plus the footstep change is gonna make things a lot harder.

• Locked thread