Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

life is killing me posted:

He did install an outlet behind the TV for power. I just don't know what he was doing with the other outlet, it's like he was banging on the box with a screwdriver and hammer and he did that for a good while.

The odds are very good he was doing the following:

Adding a new outlet for the tv requires he tap into the electrical system of the house. So he found an existing outlet and used that. He would have had to knock out a knockout panel in the outlet to run the new wire , to do this you literally bang a hammer on a scewdriver to knock out the sheet of metal. Then fish the wiring through the wall from the old box to the new box. Install a cable clamp, strip your new wires, pigtial them in with the existing wires, then re install the old outlet and put the coverplate back on.

Agreed with other that you got overcharged, but I doubt he was loving around wasting time in the outlet box. Those can be a bitch to work in depending on size, how much and what type of wire is coming through them, and fishing stuff through the walls with only tiny access points can be very tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread