Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

They could withdraw the Labour whip and leave him as an independent dead man walking until 2020. I doubt the Tories or UKIP will touch him.
He'd still be an MP until then though, unless he has the grace to stand down but for some reason he doesn't seem massively graceful.

forkboy84 posted:

I'm laughing at the idea that UKIP have any standards
If he was a dirty old man in their party it would be all hands to the pumps but I suspect even UKIP aren't stupid enough to save someone else's dirty old man even if it gets them an extra seat for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I really hate to defend Danczuk and her age and the fact she was looking for employment are definitely creepy and not OK, especially if he started the exchange. But as far as the texts themselves go it really doesn't look that bad, it's a series of messages that gradually ramp up with both parties apparently into it, not like he sent her pictures of his cock out of the blue. Yeah he should probably resign and yeah he probably shouldn't be doing this kind of thing with 17 year olds, but I don't really like that he's getting played up as on par with a predatory paedophile by the same press that are quite happy to ignore or defend allegations of MPs actually abusing children.

e: To be clear, I don't care what happens to Danczuk specifically. I'd just rather that creepy but relatively harmless behaviour weren't conflated with horrible crimes. When the next august and eminent Lord's abuse of children comes out, I don't want people pointing at this and saying "what's the big deal, this is just like Danczuk and nothing happened there".

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 31, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I really hate to defend Danczuk and her age and the fact she was looking for employment are definitely creepy and not OK, especially if he started the exchange. But as far as the texts themselves go it really doesn't look that bad, it's a series of messages that gradually ramp up with both parties apparently into it, not like he sent her pictures of his cock out of the blue. Yeah he should probably resign and yeah he probably shouldn't be doing this kind of thing with 17 year olds, but I don't really like that he's getting played up as on par with a predatory paedophile by the same press that are quite happy to ignore or defend allegations of MPs actually abusing children.
You're completely correct, but if he or the Tories got hold of a Corbynite swapping steamy texts with a teenager we'd never hear the end of it. Plus the more the public think he's a predator the less they'll listen to him, so I hope the press fucks him like a train.

It's not exactly clean, but what is in politics? I don't care if the press brand him the reincarnation of Hitler so long as it gets him out of the Labour party.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Plus, it's all his own stupid fault, it's not like The Sun entrapped him or anything, he just decided that being a creepy old man was something he could get away with and it turned out he was wrong.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
I mean look by the standards of Rochdale MPs it really could have been an awful lot worse.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Considering in modern politics the majority of people vote for the party and not the person it's crazy that an MP leaving the party doesn't automatically trigger a byelection.
Rochdale could be held by a LibDem MP (okay he won't join them but in theory) even after only winning 10 votes there as a party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British politics is a cobbled together mess of outdated conventions that are unfit for purpose, 12th edition (revised).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Taear posted:

Considering in modern politics the majority of people vote for the party and not the person it's crazy that an MP leaving the party doesn't automatically trigger a byelection.
Rochdale could be held by a LibDem MP (okay he won't join them but in theory) even after only winning 10 votes there as a party.

the british electoral system - bizarre?! say it ain't so

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one way the british could stand to be more like the french is in having a wholesale constitutional overhaul not be a completely unthinkable event

the frogs are at their fifth republic, and though it's also a mess at least it was consciously designed to do a thing, and is indeed doing that thing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While I agree he's not bursting into a cot while rock solid, I think we should let his target speak for herself:

quote:

Houlihan told the Sun: “When I first got in touch I never expected the messages to get so graphic. At the time I played along with it, but now I feel like he duped me. I was keen for a career in politics and he is a very high-profile MP and I was in awe of him.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/31/labour-mp-simon-danczuk-suspended-over-explicit-text-message-allegations

Feels a little like taking advantage of a position of trust to me, which is creepy in its own right.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

V. Illych L. posted:

the british electoral system - bizarre?! say it ain't so

At least the rest of it you can pretend to make an argument for. Strong government and "having a connection to local areas" and whatever the hell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
While this is entirely the fault of Danzcuck, I feel that there should be a public service announcement to help prevent this happening again.

Something like "Never be in awe of an MP, chances are they're poo poo."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

No argument that it's creepy. It's definitely creepy & an abuse of power. Fact the story was broken by The Sun leaves me cynical though: why did they choose to throw him under the bus? Did they really expect his martyrdom this quickly? Or do they just want to deflect from Letwin's racism or Cameron/Osbourne's cuts to the flood defence budgets & other things which have let to massive flooding across northern England? Or what else do are they using it to deflect from?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Much like many people believe Labour should be elected whatever the cost, I think Danczuk should gently caress off whatever the cost. So this is nothing but good news.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

No argument that it's creepy. It's definitely creepy & an abuse of power. Fact the story was broken by The Sun leaves me cynical though: why did they choose to throw him under the bus? Did they really expect his martyrdom this quickly? Or do they just want to deflect from Letwin's racism or Cameron/Osbourne's cuts to the flood defence budgets & other things which have let to massive flooding across northern England? Or what else do are they using it to deflect from?

Or maybe it's just because it's a juicy story that can shift papers.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
Yeah given the police said they received a report 2 days ago I think the story was coming out no matter what.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

V. Illych L. posted:

one way the british could stand to be more like the french is in having a wholesale constitutional overhaul not be a completely unthinkable event

the frogs are at their fifth republic, and though it's also a mess at least it was consciously designed to do a thing, and is indeed doing that thing

They're also much better at strikes and rioting.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
At least Simon has learned an important lesson: The media is fickle, and will always gently caress you.

Who am I kidding? He hasn't learned gently caress all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

V. Illych L. posted:

The deputy shadow leader of the Lords is certainly of the opinion that a constitutional convention is necessary and I have to agree with him.

Be a loving bastard to write though. And even harder to get through given that its entire purpose would be to limit the powers of parliament and fix the horrible inequities of our current voting systems.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

pumpinglemma posted:

I can't think of any other job than MP where you'd have the option to resign, rather than getting fired, for sexually harassing a 17 year old who comes to you looking for a job.
Well, the only people who can 'fire' you as an MP are voters in your constituency if they decide not to re-elect you.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Noxville posted:

Or maybe it's just because it's a juicy story that can shift papers.

This. Reminder that the Daily Mail of all papers printed a story that the Conservative PM had sex with a dead pig, based on the evidence that Ashcroft, his political enemy, knows a guy who knows a guy who saw a photo of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Telegraph's hot take on the Crosby knighthood.

:unsmigghh:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I initially read this as the Cosby knighthood and briefly thought "Well, they would, wouldn't they?"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

By a Blairite.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The author of this piece is a goddamn rear end in a top hat and bootlicker, but at least he's honest about his terrible opinions. I kinda can respect that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

loving John McTernan, OF COURSE that wank is defending this cronyism.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Well he's not just defending this cronyism, he's saying all cronyism is good and a sign of being a good friend.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Thundercloud posted:

By a Blairite.

Labour MPs don't need to tolerate Jeremy Corbyn's bullying any longer posted:

If any shadow minister is moved, the entire shadow cabinet should resign and MPs should refuse to replace them

By John McTernan

How long can Jeremy Corbyn last as leader? Like Margaret Thatcher he intends to go on and on and on. But, again as with Thatcher, the matter may not be wholly in his hands. Leadership rests on authority – and that, in the end, comes from your peer group. The people who sit behind you every week in Prime Minister’s Questions have to stand behind you too.

Labour MPs have been tolerant of Corbyn’s leadership – in my view too tolerant. But they have had a purpose, if not a strategy – let him make the first move. Not the first mistake, mind – there have been plenty of those – just the first move. Briefings in the papers have revealed that he is about to do that with a reshuffle of the Shadow Cabinet as soon as he comes back from holiday. The reason? Disloyalty. The occasion? The free vote on bombing Isil in Syria. Yes, that’s right, sackings and demotions are being planned as a punishment for voting freely in a free vote.

This is not the time to critique the sheer illogic of branding choices made in an unwhipped vote as rebellion. Nor the hypocrisy of a serial rebel punishing people who did not even break a whip. Now is the time for action.

It has long been a watchword of the labour movement that "an injury to one is an injury to all". The PLP have to put that into action – starting with the Shadow Cabinet. If any frontbencher is moved, let alone sacked, because of how they voted over air strikes on Isil then the entire Shadow Cabinet should resign in solidarity. Immediately. Without hesitation. And the rest of the PLP should refuse to fill the vacancies. Well, at least the nine out of ten who didn’t vote for Corbyn.

Would that provoke a crisis? Of course, because it would be impossible for Corbyn to fill his shadow ministry if MPs held the line. He doesn’t even have the numbers for a Shadow Cabinet, let alone the talent among his supporters. But it will be a crisis entirely of Corbyn’s own making. Enough MPs chose to serve him to give him a credible front bench by lending him their credibility. They have shown that they can outshine him – and the Tory front bench – and command the House. If the reward for that loyalty is the threat of a knife in the back then they should stab him in the front. To work this action has to be like a successful strike – well-organised, widely supported and ruthlessly executed. It is telling that two of the lesser known figures in the firing line are Rosie Winterton and Alan Campbell – Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip respectively. They are widely respected in the PLP and by all in the party who have ever worked with them. The Leader’s Office apparently resent them for the "power" that has been "ceded" to them. In normal politics the Leader’s Office and the Whips work in lockstep because they – and backbenchers – have a shared political agenda. But ever since the election of Corbyn as Leader the Labour Party has not seen anything like politics as normal.

If the Leader’s Office wants to take out the Whips’ Office then the whips know what to do – get organised. Time for the PLP to dig out their battered copies of the Doors album Waiting for the Sun and listen to Five to One which should be their theme song – "They got the guns/But we got the numbers".
lol

what a piece of poo poo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

XMNN posted:

lol

what a piece of poo poo

Sounds like he's advocating for unlawful industrial action to me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is it just me or was 'Shaun the Sheep' incredibly racist this xmas?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
McTernan is the man who's lost Labour two elections both in Australia and Scotland. He's living proof that no matter how wrong you are you'll always have a job if your on the right side of wrong.

Also who gives a gently caress about the honours list. At this point it's nothing more than a prestigious sex offenders register.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Every decision should be "what would John McTernan not do?".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also who gives a gently caress about the honours list. At this point it's nothing more than a prestigious sex offenders register.
Idris no :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Don't worry, that man is incapable of sexual offences because he's too dreamy. :allears:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

it's an attention grabbing story that will sell papers / generate page views. if the sun hadn't run it then another paper would.
there doesn't always have to be a grand ulterior motive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

it's an attention grabbing story that will sell papers / generate page views. if the sun hadn't run it then another paper would.
there doesn't always have to be a grand ulterior motive.

You're not paranoid enough, are you sure you're a UKMT poster & not just a paranoid delusion I'm having?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

So surely the reshuffle stories must be nonsense if any of them tip Abbott for shadow foreign sec., that move would be loving awful.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

So surely the reshuffle stories must be nonsense if any of them tip Abbott for shadow foreign sec., that move would be loving awful.

Of course they're all bollocks, the source for that one was a Edinburgh student who calls himself an Arch Blairite and looks like Dave Mustaine's sister.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Gonzo McFee posted:

Of course they're all bollocks, the source for that one was a Edinburgh student who calls himself an Arch Blairite and looks like Dave Mustaine's sister.

Hey I went to Edinburgh we're not all bad. To be fair EUSA and Edinburgh Student Labour were loving awful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't worry, that man is incapable of sexual offences because he's too dreamy. :allears:

I mean normally "Asking for it" is a reprehensible defense, but when it's Idris Elba then yeah, anyone who wasn't up for it needs to be remanded for their own safety. The man is objectively perfect.

• Locked thread