Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bacalou

all of the lights in his house fall into one of two catagories, tipped over antique claw lamp or bare flickering bulb hanging from the ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision

by VideoGames
"why are there rusty railroad spikes in your sink?"
"oh, hrrrnnng, yeah, i cough those up every mornin'"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

precision

by VideoGames
by the way watch the part of Coffee and Cigarettes where Tom Waits and Iggy Pop hang out and Iggy is a total dorkasauras it's hilarious

----------------

Android Blues

tom waits hunches like a gargoyle over his desk to write letters with tar instead of ink and sends them to nick cave who sends back vials of dust from a burnt down town in the old west. all the letters are is increasingly aggressive growls and coughs transposed to paper. pitchfork reports on this as a feud but at least one of either waits or cave views it as a collaboration

precision

by VideoGames

Android Blues posted:

tom waits hunches like a gargoyle over his desk to write letters with tar instead of ink and sends them to nick cave who sends back vials of dust from a burnt down town in the old west. all the letters are is increasingly aggressive growls and coughs transposed to paper. pitchfork reports on this as a feud but at least one of either waits or cave views it as a collaboration

yes, this. always.

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Android Blues posted:

this is my favorite post in the thread

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
"What Her Disappear" was written when he was living in the treehouse built by the single mom down the block. he was in between condemned death row facilities after he learned it wasn't haunted

----------------

precision

by VideoGames
Tom Waits has actually been dead for over 20 years, but when the Grim Reaper showed up all he could do was stammer "I'm such a big fan, can you sign my scythe?"

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I'd like to talk about the music video that inspired this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fju9o8BVJ8

[00:09] The darkness of Tom Waits' home is so palpable, he was able to tie a rope to the darkness.

[00:13] Dirt floor theory confirmed.

[00:20] Tom Waits, dragging his home behind him, complains that he "had a good home but I left." A couch shaped like a piano grows where the house once stood, no land he ever abides in being free from his mark.

[00:34] Tom Waits likes to hang around his house and re-enact the "In Dreams" scene from Blue Velvet. The ghost of Dennis Hopper appears in the form of a cloud of steam.

[00:43] Physics really went to poo poo when the Earth died screaming.

[01:10] Brand new battleships rust as the house floats past. This may be why that general earlier was really pissed off and also extremely far away from Tom himself.

[01:11] He sneaks his pets into every video he does, it's his "thing".

[01:23] I wonder how painful it was to him to not have those zippers be rusty and sharp.

[01:57] Tom moonlights as a message in a bottle. Eh, it's a living.

[02:08] Here, Waits shows off his latest body mod.

[03:10] Vampires must sleep in coffins filled with earth from their birth site.

[03:31] Waits is extremely bad at sweeping up his workshop.

[03:42] I like to think that Tom Waits made a house out of each room and put it in an abandoned warehouse. One house is the bedroom, one is the kitchen, etc.

[03:50] He works out his body and his voice at the same time so he can make his train back to Silent Hill.

----------------

JuulPodSaveAmerica
john hiatt comes over but is immediately repulsed and leaves, horrified.

-- some things are just too terrible to be true, he muses.

----------------
i honestly believe you are tripping right now.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
When you really get to know the guy, he lets you into his life a little. He likes to break out old dusty family photo albums. His great-great-great grandfather, the pirate. His uncle, a car mechanic. A distant cousin from a few generations ago working as a soda-fountain jock-jerk. Some relative, the steam engine operator. That's when it dawns of you. Each of these photos is actually Tom Waits himself, in his costumes he wore at your Halloween parties all these years. "They're not forgeries" he coughs, and laughs until you wake up screaming, covered in a cold, muddy sweat

----------------

bacalou

tom waits cell phone is just a collection of cells that have grown into an old-style rotary. it survives by consuming the spittle he produces during a phone conversation. when alone, it can be heard gasping and crying almost-silently.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
tom's piano went to AA, left that enablist relationship, found religion, and stayed sober for the rest of its days. tom waits married a steam organ he found at the scrapyard, where they lived a life of decadent hedonism miserably ever after

----------------

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
From: http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits%20library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/faq.html

16. Is there really a Tropicana Motel?

It's no longer there. It was torn down in 1987, but Waits did indeed live there from ca. 1976 to late 1979. the Tropicana Motel was on Santa Monica Boulevard 8585 (West Hollywood). It had been a rock-and-roll landmark since the late 1960's. Waits had his piano in the kitchen and the stove was just a big cigarette lighter. There were automobile tools on the kitchen counter and in the fridge. Tom Waits: "I don't think I got any new towels for the whole like nine years I was there. But I never asked, I didn't wanna upset anybody."

fema crisis actor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 2, 2015

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
in his bedroom, no bed, just an iron gibbet. Tom spends every day standing in it, grinding down the bars with his stubble.

The back is open, he could leave at any time--he says he's been sentenced to life plus ninety years, but his prison is the world outside.

precision

by VideoGames
Tom... Tom waits for no man.

----------------

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
he keeps his voice in a mason jar by his night stand, it's full with an old, sunbaked dirt road and cut with 20 year barrel aged whisky

Afro Doug

in my imaginiation the house tom waits lives in is just like any other house. its got a kitchen and a bathroom and all that cool stuff. he even watches the tv programs everyone else watches on a completely normal tv. wow... its really great to be a guest in tom waits house here in my imagination

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
The mailman can never decide whether to use the unmarked box or the one labelled "Indonesia"

JuulPodSaveAmerica
i would like to draw the thread's attention to this song, discussing tom waits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihzo2jqVqAQ

----------------

DeepQantas

^^ something about that pose. Hmm

JuulPodSaveAmerica

hmmmm

----------------

DeepQantas

What is he thinking about there?

Fury of god? Rusty metal stains he saw last week? A soldier fighting in a forgotten war?

:tipshat: ` o O {( little brown sausages )}

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Qwerinty posted:

tom's piano went to AA, left that enablist relationship, found religion, and stayed sober for the rest of its days. tom waits married a steam organ he found at the scrapyard, where they lived a life of decadent hedonism miserably ever after

Today's Episode of American Pawn Stars...

Corey: Hello, what have we here?
Guy: I have here the one, the only- Tom Waits' piano!
Chumley: Do you have any provenance on it?
Corey: Chumley, would ya let me? Do you have any provenance on it? *eyes Chumley darkly*'
Guy: Well, the piano's got cirrhosis of the liver!
Corey: yep, that's his alright!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
"It's like no one remembers my early stuff", Tom chokes out. He sinks a bit deeper into the Triumph-come-psychiatric couch. Harlan Ellison leans back in the conductor seat pulled from the No. 1 out of Memphis, scribbling notes. "Piano bars, rye whisky, used car lots, kids these days don't get that poo poo. You gotta sing about poo poo they can relate to. Smoke, rust, the world ending, that's the world they're growing up in." Ellison nods, finishing his outline for a story about a man whose past takes the physical form of a coal train. "I bet no one even knows what a potter's field is anymore." The story is given a name: "Six Post Derail"

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
the real irony is that his early stuff was released under the Asylum Records label

----------------

fuck. marry. t-rex

Tom Waits is recording his latest album on a Xbox 360 headset-mic from a detroit pawnshop, whose previous owner was a loud slurring preteen with a propensity for the word 'f-----'.

The child, now 22, will also be featured in backup vocals as part of a halfway-home program for recovering meth addicts.

fuck. marry. t-rex

They say you can hear every one of the ten thousand blows of crystal smoke on his vocal chords

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
"does life seem nasty, brutish and short?" a claw snakes out of a cloud of dust, reminding you of Stephen King's "Peanuts", grabbing you around the shoulders in what seems to be an attempt at friendliness. "come on up to the house"

----------------

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

I was listening to rain dogs this afternoon so i approve.

You try to add ice to your scotch and he says "the water has lived a million lives in the endless water cycle" you drink neat instead

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

A LOVELY LAD posted:

You try to add ice to your scotch and he says "the water has lived a million lives in the endless water cycle" you drink neat instead

Tom puts bits of coal in his scotch

fuck. marry. t-rex

Macy and Peppermint Patty are dancing in the clasic scene from a Charlie Brown tv movie. To the side, cartoon Tom Waits plays a grand piano, his adult head reaching to offscreen in the classic style.

He begins singing, "waaowawawawaowaowao".

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

----------------

bacalou

fake, tom waits would never be seen with mercy

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

bacalou posted:

fake, tom waits would never be seen with mercy

a ruse he uses to promote his brand. he lets a few go.

----------------

bacalou

tom waits brand is red hot and will give you an infection

fema crisis actor

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I was just reading about how raindogs is the starter album, & I was like no it's the finish album, there's a reason he's better since he was sober since 1980

The real Tom Waits invite you over to do yoga in his Zen garden at his secret Northern California Big Sur pad, yogurt is on tap, and the whole yard is landscaped with granola

fema crisis actor

You have to go through a quartz crystal maze to get to his new Big Sur pad, but every way out is the right way

fema crisis actor

The password to his front gate is so loving basic, it's "OM"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fema crisis actor

I'm going to go hang out with Tom Waits, this is so cool

* sit thru 3 hours of Tai Chi just to learn how to hop a moving train*

• Locked thread