Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Artix posted:

This man knows what's up. :hfive:

:siren: Lost Mangroves - Part 2 :siren:

So today we're tackling the World 1 boss. Aren't you guys excited? He's not nearly as awful as he could be, but I have a suspicion that's purely because he's only the first boss. World 3's boss is probably the only one in the entire game I would consider "good" so strap in, it only gets better from here!

So is Kong Island just 90% crashed planes by volume? Or did the ice vikings bring the plane parts with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The planes aren't necessarily explained but the plot of the game is that we are not on DK island right now. Instead, we've been blown away by the vikings in the intro to some other island chain and need to get back to DK Island to beat them up and take back our home.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

The seal boss is pretty boring mechanically but I do like his intro.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You haven't really experienced the K levels until you've gone after the puzzle pieces as I somehow felt compelled to. Some of those are right motherfuckers

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, that island was some kind of Bermuda Triangle poo poo. I loved the detail that the seal boss's arena had airliner seats for the spectators :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's a cool cutscene before the boss fight. Are all of the boss characters as well designed as that Viking seal? Can't wait to see all the new and creative ways Retro sneaks in shockwaves into the boss fights for this game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Yeah, that island was some kind of Bermuda Triangle poo poo. I loved the detail that the seal boss's arena had airliner seats for the spectators :allears:

Has anyone noticed that even the basic enemies in that world all have things on their persons that look like they've been salvaged from the wrecked ships and planes? For example, the Dodo enemies have life buoys around their necks, and the dragonflies and grasshoppers are wearing monocles.

If there's one thing the game does superbly, it's aesthetics.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always loved the alliterative, pun, and rhyming level names, it shows a level of polish that a lot of games don't show, past or present. My favorite is Skidda Row.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always loved the alliterative, pun, and rhyming level names, it shows a level of polish that a lot of games don't show, past or present. My favorite is Skidda Row.

They were generally alright with Rare, but Retro's naming efforts are causing me to groan in exasperation. To play off what you said, they show a level of doggerel that a lot of games don't show, past or present.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Vine Valley :siren:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I liked ostrich too, but Rambi and Engaurde are still the best partners. Controlling the spider just made me anxious. Also DKC1 is still rad and I don't give a poo poo how ugly it is, I love those crazy retro graphics.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Remind me what the context was for that discussion of Smash Bros.? Were we just bored at that point?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm pretty sure it started with a discussion on the ground pound and how that was the inspiration for his Down+B in Smash, which prompted someone to ask about his Up+B. To which I think the response was "gently caress man, I dunno. Smash just likes spinning poo poo."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm starting to wonder if it was inspired by Dixie's hair twirl from DKC2.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Orangutang Gang is still freakin' gorgeous. Dat sunset :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's a shame that Artix scrapped the video where we found the DK fanfiction wiki because of his dumb webcam mic. It happened about halfway through the recording and I don't think any of us could keep a straight face the rest of the video because every few minutes one of us would reference it again and we'd all lose it.

drat YOU MANHOLE ARTIX!!! :doom:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I keep forgetting how calm and relaxing the underwater music is for DKC1. Like, you just want to kick back and listen to the track instead of dodging pearl shooting clams or sharks.

It definitely stands out against the more intense DKC2 track and the dark foreboding track from DKC3.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually preferred Diddy to Donkey or Dixie. He moves better than either of them. I only switch to Donkey when I run across something only he can kill and Dixie when Diddy's "flip into the pit and jump out" thing isn't quite enough (and it usually is). He's kinda nerfed in 64 though. But I like to play as Chunky and hate Lanky so....

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Diddy's definitely better if you want to just blaze through the stages. I thought DKC2 had a good combination of Kongs, since while it stings to lose Dixie, Diddy's still pretty agile and it doesn't feel like you lost a lot of mobility by being stuck with him, like with Donkey or Kiddy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Friendly reminder that the music for the goofy star wars tree top levels owns and the remix in DKCR owns even more

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Is it just me, or does the timer go down faster in Rambi's bonus level than the others?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

unpronounceable posted:

Is it just me, or does the timer go down faster in Rambi's bonus level than the others?

That jumped out at me as well. We commented on it during Engarde's bonus level, but the clock doesn't run down at a normal rate sometimes. In Engarde's stage, it seemed like Artix had plenty of time. It might have something to do with the collectibles on screen, since it seemed to really go down when Artix was jumping over the top of the bonus stage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AradoBalanga posted:

I keep forgetting how calm and relaxing the underwater music is for DKC1. Like, you just want to kick back and listen to the track instead of dodging pearl shooting clams or sharks.

It definitely stands out against the more intense DKC2 track and the dark foreboding track from DKC3.

Man, if you wanna talk about Aquatic Ambiance, hit me the gently caress up. Love that track.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Man, if you wanna talk about Aquatic Ambiance, hit me the gently caress up. Love that track.

I prefer Stickerbrush Symphony (The original, not the... thing Smash Bros claims it is) or Forest Interlude

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I have remixes for them all.

All sorts of remixes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I prefer Stickerbrush Symphony (The original, not the... thing Smash Bros claims it is) or Forest Interlude

Fun fact about that song. Stickerbush Symphony almost didn't make it into DKC2. It was actually meant to be DKC2's version of Aquatic Ambiance, but there weren't any ocean or sea levels in that game. But Rare decided to stick it into the bramble stages in the end.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I actually like the Smash Brothers remix, oddly enough. Yeah, it's more upbeat, but it still keeps the feeling of the original.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bonus levels with no indication of where they're located are the best, aren't they? Speaking of which, there's a bonus level in that second forest level when the swarm of Neckys fly towards you. It's on the very bottom of the rope and you can only see the very top of the barrel that launches you to it. You have to look very hard to see it.

Also, the rumor is that Meowth was supposed to be the second Pokemon character in the original Smash Bros. but they went with Jigglypuff for whatever reason.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The bramble levels are my absolute favorites in DKC2. My favorite music, gorgeous sets, and they're all challenging enough that you can't blow through them. Unless you're a TAS-er and therefore clinically insane. Or it's the one where you kinda have to blow through but is great for that exact reason. They have some of the best secrets too.

Seriously, DKC2 did so many things right. That cannot be stressed enough.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 10, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

One thing I've noticed in the DKC1 videos is that Donkey Kong himself looks kind sluggish. What does he have over Diddy? Aside from being the character that holds stuff overhead. The last time I played the first DKC game was like several years ago, so I don't really remember much about it aside from it not being my cup of tea.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
He's heavy. DK can kill enemies like Klump and the armadillos by just jumping on them, where Diddy has to either roll into them or jump on them twice. In general though, yeah, there's really not much reason to play as DK if you can avoid it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
umm he can also pound the ground and unearth sweet banana secrets which is totally a thing i've done in more than just the first two levels before forgetting all about it

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If you kill an enemy when you slap the ground, you get a banana.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone tried that to solve world hunger?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

If you kill an enemy when you slap the ground, you get a banana.
If you hand slap a blue Krusha, it laughs at you but gives you a banana. If you like wasting time, you can keep doing it for infinite bananas.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I forgot to mention this last night, but I think the biggest problem with the bonus levels in DKC is the fact that almost all of Cranky's hints for finding them were either dummied out or bugged to just not show up. I can't remember which one it is.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
at least they aren't tied to any secrets or unlocks though, that kind of straight up fiendish design wouldn't be much fun in 2 or 3

Artix is rightfully not giving a poo poo about them but i hope he shows off that one bonus level in the factory world because it is just bonkers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I forgot to mention this last night, but I think the biggest problem with the bonus levels in DKC is the fact that almost all of Cranky's hints for finding them were either dummied out or bugged to just not show up. I can't remember which one it is.
Cranky's bonus game hints in DKC only apply to the first world. The only reason to go to him in that game is to get some A+ verbal abuse.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

Cranky's bonus game hints in DKC only apply to the first world. The only reason to go to him in that game is to get some A+ verbal abuse.

Don't forget watching him whack DK with a cane. That never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

at least they aren't tied to any secrets or unlocks though, that kind of straight up fiendish design wouldn't be much fun in 2 or 3

Artix is rightfully not giving a poo poo about them but i hope he shows off that one bonus level in the factory world because it is just bonkers

I can guarantee the one you're thinking of was shown off. It also caused one of the greatest moments of "loving hitboxes!" in the recordings.

• Locked thread