Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Don't forget watching him whack DK with a cane. That never gets old.
One thing I don't like about Retro's version of Donkey Kong Country is that they made Cranky much less of a dick in DKC Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Y-Hat posted:

One thing I don't like about Retro's version of Donkey Kong Country is that they made Cranky much less of a dick in DKC Returns.

This has come up in recording. You are not alone.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, while I understand you have to make him less of an rear end in a top hat if he's gonna be riding around on DK's back same as Diddy and Dixie, it was kind of Cranky's entire point to always be making GBS threads on the games and everything about them. Taking that away just doesn't feel like a good move.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, while I understand you have to make him less of an rear end in a top hat if he's gonna be riding around on DK's back same as Diddy and Dixie, it was kind of Cranky's entire point to always be making GBS threads on the games and everything about them. Taking that away just doesn't feel like a good move.

Considering he's a playable character in Tropical Freeze, I don't think he's getting a speaking role at all. :v: Unless he was talking about Returns 1 in which he was kind of a dick, but not nearly on the level as the old Country games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do you always have to be Donkey Kong or can you play as teams without him?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

RareAcumen posted:

Do you always have to be Donkey Kong or can you play as teams without him?

Player 1 always has to be DK. P2 can be whoever, but if they jump onto DK's back they effectively hand over control to him.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Considering he's a playable character in Tropical Freeze, I don't think he's getting a speaking role at all. :v: Unless he was talking about Returns 1 in which he was kind of a dick, but not nearly on the level as the old Country games.

I've 100%'d this one, but I admit I didn't actually play Returns past maybe the first level, so I wouldn't know how Cranky was in that one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Derek Barona posted:

Also his name is Cranky.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Cranky smiles too much in Tropical Freeze. He needs to scowl more.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Blind Sally posted:

He got onto medical bananas for his glaucoma and achy joints, it made him loosen up a lot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Agent Interrobang posted:

He got onto medical bananas for his glaucoma and achy joints, it made him loosen up a lot.

I'll accept that Cranky is high as gently caress in Tropical Freeze.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Gorilla Glacier :siren:

This is the article we were talking about, by the way. Gaze upon its majesty.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 11, 2015

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Have you seen how much Cranky used to complain that he wasn't the main character? He can finally show off that he's better at platformers than DK!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calling Alder a Bug-type Champion is like calling Lance a Dragon-type Champion or Steven a Steel-type Champion.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Doesn't fit when you're playing single-player and Cranky spends the entirety of the game just clinging desperately to Donkey's back.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why is that even a theory?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That treetop level was clearly Kashyyyk and not Endor

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Artix posted:

:psyduck: How did people come up with this? Actually, I don't think I want to know.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Artix posted:

:siren: Gorilla Glacier :siren:

They should have sent a poet, and they did.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Artix posted:

5'd

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The best way to insert Cranky into the new games would be to use him as the character model for the equivalent of the NSMB Super Skills videos.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Rare did cynical humor that bashed concepts and other characters like no one else, so it's kind of a tough act to follow. On the other hand, Retro came up with lore about Space Pirates becoming horribly mutilated trying to replicate Samus's Morph Ball technology, so they could have tried a little harder.

I don't mind the animal buddy bonus stages too much except for Rambi's. The clock goes ridiculously fast for no apparent reason, so if you want to get the medallion that doubles your pickup total, you kinda have to get it when you enter the level. When Nintendo Power had that feature where you had to get the highest score in a game (I think it was called The Arena?), they did one of those for each animal buddy stage. The only one where the high score wasn't 999 was Rambi's.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2015

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

You never really appreciate how much you stutter and slur your words until you hear yourself talk. Sheesh.

And yeah, I can honestly say that if I didn't know about that shortcut, we would have been in Gorilla Glacier for the whole video. It was pretty bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guess I better post these Clickhole articles before they wrap up the DKC portion of this LP.

Someone Overdubbed ‘The Godfather’ With The ‘Donkey Kong’ Soundtrack And Francis Ford Coppola Has Vowed Revenge
Finally! This Video Game Teaches Girls About Physics

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Blastinus posted:

You never really appreciate how much you stutter and slur your words until you hear yourself talk. Sheesh.

And yeah, I can honestly say that if I didn't know about that shortcut, we would have been in Gorilla Glacier for the whole video. It was pretty bad.

On the other hand, we would have had a :toxx: on our hands, and I think everybody wanted that to come true...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Those ropes in the second level are colour coded? I always assumed it was random since they all looked blue to me. I probably would have done better in that level if I didn't have to memorize which ones go up and down each time.

Colourblindness sucks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Autumn Hills - Part 1 :siren:

Today we're starting World 2 with ChaosArgate as DK brings his rampage through a quiet, idyllic mountain village.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
What does that yellow bar in the upper left near your health indicate?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I gotta say, that section towards the end of the minecart level where you're jumping off of rails that are rising up from the bottom of the screen is a lot harder than it looks! I probably burned at least 5 lives because I jumped a split second too early.

Major_JF posted:

What does that yellow bar in the upper left near your health indicate?

That's the Kong Pow meter. Get 100 bananas (I think) and then press L and R together to turn all enemies on screen into either lives, hearts or banana coins, depending on your partner.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the aesthetics and music of this world really hooked me on the game.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, the aesthetics and music of this world really hooked me on the game.

I had the opposite reaction. I thought this world was really bland and it ended turning me off on the game. It also didn't help that I just wasn't feeling the controls either.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Speaking of the music, the music to Horn Top Hop, is context sensitive: Whenerver you are on a leaf (or maybe just in the leaf parts) the music gets a lot of bells in it, and when you are around horns, the music gets horns added to it, the same is true for Montain Mania: When you are on Rambi, drums gets added to the music.
Also, the music for the minecart part of Sawmill Thrill is non-looping, this is becuse the minecart parts take exatly the same amount of time.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

That's the Kong Pow meter. Get 100 bananas (I think) and then press L and R together to turn all enemies on screen into either lives, hearts or banana coins, depending on your partner.

That sounds like an equivalent to bombs in shmups.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That barrel blast bonus room is just the absolute worst. I cannot believe how many times they use it across the game for how terrible it was. Also, all hail the mighty DK and his ability to utterly annihilate all life around him by causing disasters, natural or otherwise, wherever he goes. That's two levels in one video where him cruising through the zone caused some sort of horrific chaos.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Man, I think they made a bad move by making the bonuses more like DKC1's instead of like DKC2 and 3's. I liked those little challenges a lot more, especially because they had a lot more variety in what they had you do. Except for maybe the whole green bananas thing DKC3 had.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wave of destruction wherever DK goes? I didn't know that the director of "annual apocalyptic movie that causes people with scientific backgrounds aneurysms" made a video game.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
You avoid that penguin in Horn Top Hop by looking in the background. Everywhere there's an owl in the background there's a horn its tooting on.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Derek Barona posted:

Also, all hail the mighty DK and his ability to utterly annihilate all life around him by causing disasters, natural or otherwise, wherever he goes. That's two levels in one video where him cruising through the zone caused some sort of horrific chaos.

It's a well-known fact that any setpiece in a modern game has at least a 50% chance of crumbling under the force of intense parkouring. Just ask Nathan Drake or Lara Croft.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Wave of destruction wherever DK goes? I didn't know that the director of "annual apocalyptic movie that causes people with scientific backgrounds aneurysms" made a video game.

I didn't know Naughty Dog made this game

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I know exactly the DKC3 level you're talking about, Artix. Ripsaw Rush (the aforementioned level) and nearly all of the "chase/move fast to avoid stuff" levels in DKC3 are not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AradoBalanga posted:

I know exactly the DKC3 level you're talking about, Artix. Ripsaw Rush (the aforementioned level) and nearly all of the "chase/move fast to avoid stuff" levels in DKC3 are not fun at all.

DKC3 has an unfortunate flaw of trying to be TOO interesting with their gimmick levels, unfortunately. A couple of them turned out actually pretty cool, and I personally enjoyed the level they mentioned in the video myself, but a couple of the other ones can seriously go to hell. Several of the bosses, too.

• Locked thread