Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess this continues the proud Rare DKC tradition of alliterative names, having the second game be better than the first, and the fact that Dixie is the best character by far. Can't wait to see the adventures of DK The Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The original DKC is a good game, but it's not the revolution in gaming that it was when it came out, especially in terms of graphics. I remember the VHS that I got from Nintendo Power that bragged about how awesome the Advanced Computer Modeling graphics were. I guess they were OK at the time, but sprites have aged far better than ACM models over the past 20 years. DKC2 took a good game and made it into a masterpiece.

My problem with DKC3 isn't all of the gimmick levels, it's the fact that by the end of the game, they used gimmicks as a way to make the game way too difficult. They pull some of them off well, like the tree level where you have to outrun a hacksaw and the factory level where you keep getting shot at. But levels like Rocket Rush and Lightning Look-Out can go to hell.

Oh, and my view on Donkey Kong as a war criminal: he never strikes the first blow. All he wants to do is laze around and eat bananas all day. Is that too much to ask? If you gently caress around with the jungle, the jungle will gently caress around with you ten times worse. He isn't committing war crimes, he's carrying out the laws of nature.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

loving Parry the Parallel Bird.
I'd appreciate the level where the elephant animal buddy goes ballistic a lot more if you didn't have to keep this little fucker alive in the process. I mean, sure, you don't have to do that, but you get a Bonus Barrel as a reward, so if you want to get everything (and who doesn't?), it's mandatory.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 5, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's a cool cutscene before the boss fight. Are all of the boss characters as well designed as that Viking seal? Can't wait to see all the new and creative ways Retro sneaks in shockwaves into the boss fights for this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bonus levels with no indication of where they're located are the best, aren't they? Speaking of which, there's a bonus level in that second forest level when the swarm of Neckys fly towards you. It's on the very bottom of the rope and you can only see the very top of the barrel that launches you to it. You have to look very hard to see it.

Also, the rumor is that Meowth was supposed to be the second Pokemon character in the original Smash Bros. but they went with Jigglypuff for whatever reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

If you kill an enemy when you slap the ground, you get a banana.
If you hand slap a blue Krusha, it laughs at you but gives you a banana. If you like wasting time, you can keep doing it for infinite bananas.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I forgot to mention this last night, but I think the biggest problem with the bonus levels in DKC is the fact that almost all of Cranky's hints for finding them were either dummied out or bugged to just not show up. I can't remember which one it is.
Cranky's bonus game hints in DKC only apply to the first world. The only reason to go to him in that game is to get some A+ verbal abuse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Don't forget watching him whack DK with a cane. That never gets old.
One thing I don't like about Retro's version of Donkey Kong Country is that they made Cranky much less of a dick in DKC Returns.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, while I understand you have to make him less of an rear end in a top hat if he's gonna be riding around on DK's back same as Diddy and Dixie, it was kind of Cranky's entire point to always be making GBS threads on the games and everything about them. Taking that away just doesn't feel like a good move.
Rare did cynical humor that bashed concepts and other characters like no one else, so it's kind of a tough act to follow. On the other hand, Retro came up with lore about Space Pirates becoming horribly mutilated trying to replicate Samus's Morph Ball technology, so they could have tried a little harder.

I don't mind the animal buddy bonus stages too much except for Rambi's. The clock goes ridiculously fast for no apparent reason, so if you want to get the medallion that doubles your pickup total, you kinda have to get it when you enter the level. When Nintendo Power had that feature where you had to get the highest score in a game (I think it was called The Arena?), they did one of those for each animal buddy stage. The only one where the high score wasn't 999 was Rambi's.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guess I better post these Clickhole articles before they wrap up the DKC portion of this LP.

Someone Overdubbed ‘The Godfather’ With The ‘Donkey Kong’ Soundtrack And Francis Ford Coppola Has Vowed Revenge
Finally! This Video Game Teaches Girls About Physics

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I really dig the cartoonishness of this world. Delightful to watch. Also, I'll answer two of the questions asked in this video.

Why does Artix keep solving the banana collecting puzzles? Because you're playing as Donkey Kong, and you can never get enough bananas.

Why did Retro keep Rambi as the only animal buddy? Because sometimes all you need is a rhino that can destroy poo poo. I would like to see Engarde and Squitter in a potential sequel, though.

I have a question of my own: why didn't you get the alternate exit in the second level? There's still a level dot that hasn't been lit.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

you might explain this past minute eight but I kind of doubt it: What is the difference between Kiddy and Donkey that makes Kiddy so much worse? I thought Kiddy was basically Donkey but with more powers and a lamer character premise
According to the DK64 instruction booklet, Kiddy Kong is Chunky's younger brother, so there's that, at least.

While I grant you Blackout Basement is some bullshit, you're pretty bad at this game, Artix. There's no reason to die that many times on the track level. Ah well, next game should go much smoother.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

While I will certainly own up to the fact that I am bad at this game, I feel like it does bear mentioning that I am playing it A) live, B) (mostly) blind, and C) without any savestates or editing. Seriously, that first one especially. If you've never tried it, I highly suggest getting some buddies and attempting to play a relatively high-skill game while also doing commentary over it, you'll be amazed at how much more poorly you tend to play!
I just assumed you played through it and put commentary in afterwards. But being distracted like that would definitely make it harder. Well, enjoy the caves!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was indeed an extra level in Chimp Caverns, but it wasn't in the GBA version... it was in the often-forgotten Game Boy Color version. It was called Necky Nutmare, and the gimmick of the level is a bunch of Necky Jrs. (the birds that spit nuts at you). Needless to say, the GBC version sucked. It had the same terrible ACM graphics that the Donkey Kong Land games had, but this time it added color. Plus, the two-button scheme meant that you couldn't use DK's hand slap. Joy.

You made a whole lot of fuss about Tanked Up Trouble, but you have to try pretty hard to miss a fuel barrel. If anything, they didn't exploit the gimmick enough (shocking, I know). Rare could have made the fuel barrels much harder to get, or they could have put them spread far enough apart that the depleting fuel meter would keep you on the edge of your seat. Just like in the original track level, the jumps and enemies are the real challenge. I will grant you that Loopy Lights is total bullshit, though. That's where you can reasonably panic about the lights going out before you reach the next barrel.

Did anyone have the "Totally Unauthorized Guide to Donkey Kong Country" by BradyGames? I did. It was '90s as all hell. A used copy is less than $2 on Amazon if you want to get a copy and scan the horrible things inside. As a kid, I was such an idiot that I was disappointed that the BradyGames guides I got for DKC3 and Crash Bandicoot 2 didn't feature the same totally rad dude telling you how to get everything.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 19, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country was released in 2000. It's not even a bad port, it's just not memorable in any way besides there being an extra level that wasn't in the SNES version. I'm gonna guess that Necky Nutmare didn't even make the GBA version.

http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Game-Boy-Color/dp/B00004S9A0

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Terrible graphics aside, I thought the Donkey Kong Land games were OK. DKL2 was definitely the least impressive of the bunch. Outside of a couple of levels that couldn't be recreated on the Game Boy due to its technical limitations (Haunted Hall and Castle Crush are the only two that I can think of), the level names were the exact same. The gimmicks were stripped down too: Glimmer's Galleon used light barrels instead of Glimmer the fish, Slime Climb had you running away from harmful water instead a rising tide of water you could swim in with a Snapjaw that would chomp at you if you fell in, and Animal Antics had only three animal buddies and stayed completely in the jungle.

DKL3 had completely new levels and less gimmicks, which was a good thing considering how over the top they were on its big brother on the SNES. For some reason, they added a card matching game to it where you could win watches. That was probably just a way to include the Bear Brothers in the thing. DKL1 was the only one that I didn't own a copy of, but judging by the LP in the archive, it's very hit-or-miss with its gimmicks. At least there were new level types in it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really don't know much about the Land games other than how incredibly meta the plots are. The series has never taken itself seriously, and doesn't try to make you believe it's anything but a videogame. That's part of the charm. But from what I hear the plots are basically Cranky challenging the Kongs to beat the same game on a less powerful system, and this is the only series where something that absurd could actually work.
Nobody does snarky self-awareness quite like Rare did in its prime. If you watched the Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts LP, there was plenty of snark, but zero self-awareness. Now they're just being used as a first-party shovelware game maker. It's pretty sad.

The plot of DKL2 is the exact same as its SNES counterpart, but I think DKL3 involves Dixie and Kiddie going on a treasure hunt. DK and Diddy aren't in it because they left for the same reason. Because of the lack of the team-up function, Kiddie is even more useless than in DKC3.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least the boss here is pretty generous with hearts if you kill his little minions.

I love the music in this game. It's not a real DKC game without David Wise.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to see the return of Retro's patented shockwave attack for bosses. Two bosses in and I've seen none of them. I do appreciate that all it takes to piss off DK and friends is to smash a single banana.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They had a level like Bopopolis in the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, but it wasn't nearly as good, mainly because porting that game to that system was a poor choice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Having not seen the video yet, I hope you don't bitch too much about the "shake to roll" controls.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scorch n' Torch looks really well-designed. I also thought the penguins throwing around fish in Twilight Terror were cute and funny. I was wondering what the point of Diddy was in this game when you have Cranky and Dixie, but then you used the super move. Pretty bitchin' to use that in the right place.

Love love love DKC2. The gimmick levels aren't brutally hard, except for the windy part of Animal Antics, which isn't DKC3-level bullshit, but it is quite hard. But you're wrong about the DK Coins on two levels. First, they're called Hero Coins in this game. You collect them to prove to Cranky how much of a hero for you are. More importantly, they don't actually add to your percentage total, with the exception of five of them. You can get 102% on this game with a minimum of five Hero Coins. They're strictly for bragging rights and the best ending in the game.

I think DK64 is OK the first time you play it because the worlds are so big and there's a lot to do. There is a clear drop in quality after you 101% it, though. And that doesn't excuse how parts of levels are arbitrarily closed off except for one Kong. Nor does it excuse Beaver Bother, as well as being the most ridiculous extreme of the 3D platformer collectathon. My favorite LP is DazzlingAddar's DK64 one. He goes into it saying it's one of his favorite games ever, then his opinion deteriorates gradually (no thanks to the co-commentators) until he admits that it's poorly designed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admittedly, Addar's LP format of stubbornly using every Kong in order and getting everything didn't help matters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DKC3 starts off with some pretty cool gimmick levels, but by the end of the game, they're just there to make things as difficult as possible. Same thing applies to the boss fights. I'm not entirely sure why the overworld is interactive, as it doesn't add as much to the game as you'd think. I'm not opposed to the more cartoony enemies like some people are, but I do prefer DKC2's darker, more menacing style over it. And the music is made by Eveline Fischer, not David Wise.

All that makes it seem like I'm making DKC3 out to be a bad game. It's not, but it's definitely a step back.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 31, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The whale level is a relaxing change of pace from the last two levels of the Beach. It even has a remix of Aquatic Ambience playing while you ride the whale, and that's the only instance of that track playing in the entire game.

Tidal Terror is the part of DKCR where you first see how nasty the game can be. It never reaches bullshit difficulty, but you gotta be at your A game. Plus, the music sounds like Kenji Yamamoto was trying to make some Metroid Prime music.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Diddy's better at performing the cartwheel jump as well, although it's not used as much as it was in DKC1.

You're obviously going to go back and get the Hero Coin in Red Hot Ride and missing bonus levels in Squawk's Shaft (I believe there are three bonus levels in it), right?

It took me a while to figure out why the hook-handed Kremling is called Krook. Then I realized it's a play on the old idiom "by hook or by crook." Cheeky Rare.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That boss looked more like a Super Mario Bros. 2 fight than one in a DKC game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

Did anyone else watch the Itty Bitty Biters level and immediately think of the Critters movies?
I was thinking more Stitch, from Lilo and Stitch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Deep Keep reminded me of the sunken frigate in Metroid Prime. Luckily, Retro made turning the power on much easier for Donkey Kong than they did for Samus. And never call Enguarde "redundant."

Blind Sally posted:

It's pronounced "key!" Krem Quay = Krem Key! kē! :argh:
Don't get mad at him, get mad at the Welsh for making a word have such a horrible mismatch between spelling and pronunciation.

It's a good thing the bramble levels have the best music, because they have some really frustrating moments later on. It's the only thing that will keep you sane.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The invincible Lockjaw has its own name: Snapjaw.

Are you gonna get all the stuff you missed in a different video? You sure missed a lot. For example, that first Invincibility Barrel in Slime Climb is used to access a bonus barrel that you find by swimming through the water.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 14, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like the original Stickerbrush Symphony better, but the Brawl remix is very good in its own way. Same goes for Smiles and Tears and its Smash 4 remix (I freaked out in a good way when I first heard that was in Smash 3DS).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta say, it's weird that the Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony leaves out about half the song. I still like it, but at least you can recognize what Smiles and Tears is throughout the entire thing, and the composer did a good job of bridging the gap between two different parts of the song.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheFattestPat posted:

You don't need to be scared of animal antics

The wind goes in a set pattern, about five seconds left then about five seconds to the right. It never changes either, so as long as you keep that in mind it's not too bad.
It really helps if you're not constantly flapping. The best thing to do is to take it slow. Discovering that made it easier, though you'll still die a few times.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vookatos posted:

There's nothing wrong with controls, come on.
But wrist-flicking (or "waggling," if you want to sound like a tool) takes so much effort man!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I assumed the puzzle pieces were necessary for 100% completion, so I got them in every level when I played DKC Returns. Turns out, they're just there so you can get art.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Looper posted:

i just want my parents to love me
What that guy said, plus gaming logic is weird

Also, Squawks makes the puzzle piece hunt a little easier.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 18, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Looper posted:

i maintain that these water levels would be good and fun if only donkey kong hadn't forgotten how to breathe underwater
They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least? I think the boss fight would have been a lot better with no air meter. It seems like it went a lot quicker than the other fights in this game so far.

I don't know if Retro did this intentionally, but the cylinder hitting the spikes in the KONG letter level reminds me of an old-style music box. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, since they're really good at creating game environments.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Those Zinger hive levels are annoying, but when you use the tag-team ability, you're able to walk over the honey without being mired down. And not surprisingly, the "cutlass guys" are named Kutlass.

Klobber Karnage was the other Lost World level that gave me a lot of trouble as a kid. The Klobbers don't make the level hard, the barrel cannon puzzles do. Supposedly, the TNT Klobbers are named Kaboom, but that might have just been made up by Nintendo Power because they don't show up in the end game credits.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nah, 5-8 isn't "Do you like spiders?" It's more akin to "OH GOD SPIDERS GET AWAY"

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The female Kremlings are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female Kremling would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered alligators so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female Kremlings are painted hot yellow and granted the enlarged, fluttery swords so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that cutlass," declares Diddy and he gets a look at one of the ladykremlings' rear end. In one scene, the game even eroticises
lol i get this reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DKC3 had a maximum percentage of 105%, so you're off by one. And you're right, for that game they didn't put anything like a DK Coin in a bonus level, or a bonus level inside another bonus level. There were, however, two incidents of using Perry the Parallel Bird to unlock a Bonus Barrel, and you only had one shot to beat it. If you screwed up, you'd have to play the level all over again.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread