Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

Cranky's bonus game hints in DKC only apply to the first world. The only reason to go to him in that game is to get some A+ verbal abuse.

Don't forget watching him whack DK with a cane. That never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, while I understand you have to make him less of an rear end in a top hat if he's gonna be riding around on DK's back same as Diddy and Dixie, it was kind of Cranky's entire point to always be making GBS threads on the games and everything about them. Taking that away just doesn't feel like a good move.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

RareAcumen posted:

Do you always have to be Donkey Kong or can you play as teams without him?

Player 1 always has to be DK. P2 can be whoever, but if they jump onto DK's back they effectively hand over control to him.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Considering he's a playable character in Tropical Freeze, I don't think he's getting a speaking role at all. :v: Unless he was talking about Returns 1 in which he was kind of a dick, but not nearly on the level as the old Country games.

I've 100%'d this one, but I admit I didn't actually play Returns past maybe the first level, so I wouldn't know how Cranky was in that one.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That barrel blast bonus room is just the absolute worst. I cannot believe how many times they use it across the game for how terrible it was. Also, all hail the mighty DK and his ability to utterly annihilate all life around him by causing disasters, natural or otherwise, wherever he goes. That's two levels in one video where him cruising through the zone caused some sort of horrific chaos.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

AradoBalanga posted:

I know exactly the DKC3 level you're talking about, Artix. Ripsaw Rush (the aforementioned level) and nearly all of the "chase/move fast to avoid stuff" levels in DKC3 are not fun at all.

DKC3 has an unfortunate flaw of trying to be TOO interesting with their gimmick levels, unfortunately. A couple of them turned out actually pretty cool, and I personally enjoyed the level they mentioned in the video myself, but a couple of the other ones can seriously go to hell. Several of the bosses, too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

I have a question of my own: why didn't you get the alternate exit in the second level? There's still a level dot that hasn't been lit.

That's actually the K level down there. Some of them are in odd locations on the island map.

Speaking of, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you play that level, Artix.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I Touhou for fun, but even years before that I usually never had Enguarde with me as a kid so I would pretty much always have to clear that section without taking a hit. I got really good at it, actually.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I always thought the glacier was worse than kremcroc, that was a nice breather after barrels in a blizzard.

Agreed. I never knew about that shortcut as a kid, so that loving blizzard level was the bane of my existence for the longest time. I will willingly play the Chimp Caverns without any issue because it's not that goddamn level.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's worth noting, while the actual world itself is garbage, I always liked the map of Chimp Caverns. I like the whole giant cavern over an underground lake motif it has going, and it's a neat contrast against the rest of the area maps which are just "Random side of the island with a bunch of stuff along the way".

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I borrowed DKL3 from a friend once, and I remember it being a fairly competent game overall. I never quite finished it, though. K. Rool bails to the Lost World after you beat him, but there was one single DK Coin I could never find in the late game areas that kept me from getting in there.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My two friends who were playing co-op said they'd been having trouble with this level when I first started playing this game, and they watched me play through Bopopolis blind. I was done in about ten minutes, with puzzle pieces.

They both called me a monster, and I just laughed so hard.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Choco1980 posted:

I almost definitely missed it, but remind me, do the banana coins actually serve a purpose or are they just e-penis?

Funky's got a shop.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, I'm noticing that too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I hate to say it because I know it was David Wise, but honestly, I found myself seriously disappointed with this game's version of Stickerbush Symphony. The quiet mellow chill water type take on it is nice, but it feels sort of... I dunno, a little bit phoned in? Like he didn't really try all that hard with it BECAUSE it was Stickerbush Symphony, and people were gonna love it no matter what. The original was a favorite because it was this surprisingly serene and yet somewhat sorrowful sounding piece that played in the middle of one of the most dangerous stage types in the entire game, that for the most part required a huge amount of caution in a game where most players had otherwise just been blasting the hell through up to that point, and it really worked out. Likewise, the Smash Bros. version KNOWS you're gonna be blasting through like a maniac and has a suitably adventurous tempo while still holding on to that original beauty, especially with the guitar segments. This one... it really just feels like they did it just to say they made a new version of the song for this game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's entirely possible that Rare still holds some parts of the DKC trademarks like the Kremlings, and Microsoft isn't usually willing to play nice about that sort of thing. Also, the Snowmads (Seriously, that's their name) do get a little more interesting as it goes on, at least in motivation. Twilight Terror was the first real sign of what they're actually doing besides just conquering the whole archipelago.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Isn't the music for world 1's Silhouette level a remix of SS? Or am I mishearing it?

It always sounded a little closer to Bayou Boogie from 2, to me.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
This is just flat out one of my favorite games.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

I think DK64 is OK the first time you play it because the worlds are so big and there's a lot to do. There is a clear drop in quality after you 101% it, though. And that doesn't excuse how parts of levels are arbitrarily closed off except for one Kong. Nor does it excuse Beaver Bother, as well as being the most ridiculous extreme of the 3D platformer collectathon. My favorite LP is DazzlingAddar's DK64 one. He goes into it saying it's one of his favorite games ever, then his opinion deteriorates gradually (no thanks to the co-commentators) until he admits that it's poorly designed.

Beaver Bother was that one where you played as a Klaptrap trying to herd them into the hole, right? I remember finding that particular mini-game frustrating as poo poo on my first playthrough, but I figured out a system for it that I used on subsequent playthroughs afterwards and it always worked for me.

Also, yes, playthroughs plural, at least ten and all of them to full completion. I still love the game even if I acknowledge just how goddamn much of a collect-a-thon it is.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Shei-kun posted:

Congrats on beating every level with Dixie, Artix.

Just plastering her face all over the map.

He knows how this game is meant to be played.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Monkey Electric Guitar Solo > hip hop chimp. Scientific fact.

Word. If I ever lost Dixie before the end of a level, I'd kill myself and start over.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

God willing, no one. Unless one of you apologists want to get your hands dirty.

I would, but it'd require me figuring out how to record N64 games without them looking like garbage and sounding even worse.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Acne Rain posted:

maybe someone should do a minimalist run instead of a dazzling addar run

Like a lot of the content is really repetitive and the big complaint is too much to collect... so why not see how much you actually need to finish the game?
Might be a fun exercise and a counter to the usual complaints.

Then again, you still might need everything. From what I remember of the Dazzling Addar adventure, last world requires almost everyones bananas anyway to complete, which means you'll need everyone unlocked and probably most of their powers unlocked.

IIRC, you need somewhere around 150-175 Golden Bananas, at least four Battle Crowns, both the Rare and Nintendo Coins, and comfortably speaking, a good 15-20 of those bananas needed to be blueprint pieces if you want to make it through Hideout Helm with enough time. My best time in that area was just over twenty minutes or so.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Materant posted:

100 Golden Bananas is the requirement to get into the final stage, so it's not nearly THAT bad.

Okay, so only half the Golden Bananas in the game. I couldn't remember the exact number. My point about the blueprints still stands, though.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Hrist posted:

The game being dark was probably just a draw distance cover up thing. That being said, I do remember TONS of indoor halls with swinging lamps and stuff but being totally pitch black otherwise.

Yeah, that happened a LOT. As for general darkness, let's see... The first area had a bunch of caves and a stormy area, the second had a good 60% of it take place inside temples, the third was a factory, fourth was already dark and then got outright nighttime, fifth had night and day mechanics, sixth was a giant cavern, seventh was a dark and spooky castle, and last one was inside a fortress. Not a lot of areas overall where natural sunlight was being seen, no.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, I honestly don't know. Maybe all the collectibles ate up a ton of the memory or something.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

That's the plan. :ssh:

It frustrates me a bit. I really like DK64 and would love an excuse to play it again, but I don't have console access to it and every N64 emulator I've tried playing it on starts to desync audio after a few minutes to the point where recording is definitely not gonna happen. Argh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, little fun thing the game shows but doesn't exactly tell. All the fortifications and kooky machines and such the Snowmads are building up into stages for DK to crash through? If you look carefully in the background on occasion, you'll see them cannibalizing their landing fleet for the materials. Basically, they're moving in and to hell with anyone in the way.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ChaosArgate posted:

Gonna be honest, I had a lot of trouble finishing Rickety Rafters my first time because I play with the d-pad controls, which have the grab and run buttons mapped to the same button (X and Y), and I basically have it hard wired into me to always hold down the run button, so I'd always latch on to the vine at the end. :argh:

I disagree with 4-K being bad, 4-K is a lot of fun, but then, the K levels in this game are infinitely more fun if you're trying to go fast and figure out what platforms you can and can't skip. As an example, here's the 3-K speedrun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkAvNsM-Uo

Also the ninja viking baboons are a lot of fun and you can actually make the fight go even faster if you roll into them while they're on the ground with their heads up, which knocks them over and lets you jump on them. You can also pogo them while they're swinging with the hammers if you have Cranky. These guys are such a fun fight.

That loving barrel shot near the end. :stare:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I cannot have been the only person yelling at the screen for Artix to just jump into the lava and go get Dixie.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Did anyone else watch the Itty Bitty Biters level and immediately think of the Critters movies?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Unfortunately there was no part in the level where they like combine into a giant ball and chase after you

Kind of a missed opportunity, really. There totally could've been a point where a giant one busts out of the wall and chases you down.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

You think it has a really good gimmick?

Are you INSANE or just too young not to recognize the true face of terror?

*Switches to Leo and his full health bar*

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Blind Sally posted:

I quickly threw together an Aquatic Ambiance Remix playlist for anyone interested. There are more, so if anyone knows of any good ones, please send me links:

AQUATIC AMBIANCE REMIX PLAYLIST

STICKERBUSH SYMPHONY AND FOREST INTERLUDE PLAYLISTS NOW PLEASE GOOD SIR AND THANK YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm surprised you didn't have any OCRemixes in the Ambiance playlist.

*Checks Symphony*

*Finds The Delay*

YEEEEESSSSSSSS

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So between the main video and the lost world, we heard three of my favorite songs in the game. Stickerbush Symphony #1 fo' life y'all, Bayou Boogie's pretty fun, and the Lost World gave us an early listen to In A Snow-Bound Land, which won't show up normally for quite awhile. All great tracks in a collectively amazing soundtrack.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

death .cab for qt posted:

See, that's one video game design choice that Retro has done which is absolutely loving devious.

Most people who play games are used to the base level of game design, where they are funneled to try new things. Anybody who has watched Egoraptor's video on MMX knows what that means, where it drags you along in a natural progression without explicitly telling you "hey, go here."

Then there were games that hid collectibles in places that were unintuitive to their own gameplay design. The game frames you at the left side of the screen, with interesting things and bananas to the right of you, but the actual hidden thing you want is to the left. It rewards players who explore by giving them extra goodies. Kirby 64 especially did this a lot, with lots of 1UPs, Stars, and health-up items hiding just beside your starting position in a way that the game isn't immediately making obvious you should explore.

Retore has subverted that now. See, what they've done is make a 100% completion rating for each level using the KONG letters, like DKC did, and the puzzle pieces. The difference is that, unlike DKC games, most of these puzzle pieces are actually in areas that are outright natural for most people to find, as long as they're conditioned to finding the hidden collectibles which were "hidden" by not being in places that people were conditioned to look for things. So, collecting whole strings of bananas, going backwards from the start point, jumping down pits, these are all examples of how Retro hooks you in with the obvious secrets.

And then they give you that "4/5 Puzzle Pieces" tally at the end. They've actually hidden puzzle pieces in places even more obtuse, or more obvious, than you'd even consider. So you replay a level to do the same thing and collect them all, because you were only one piece away, right?

So as you naturally play the games, they litter just enough puzzle pieces to tap on that Skinner Box part of your loving brain where "collect all things" = "good stuff" and dangle one just out of your reach. The intent is to practically force a certain kind of person into 100% the game, but even if you aren't that spergy, the natural impulse to do certain bonus games or hunt out certain secrets still exists for the player. So they'll always find some, no matter how little they care.

As someone who 100+%'d the original DKC trilogy on every playthrough, it was VERY easy to fall back into the habit when I got back into the series with Tropical Freeze. I am the kind of player that this strategy was intended for.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Looper posted:

i just want my parents to love me

Seek not the love of others without first obtaining the love of oneself.

Get that 100% for you, and to hell with what those other people think. Because you're worth it, dammit.

This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by KongKorp. Kong-quering the world in the name of our lord and master since 1981.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least?

Remember how DKC had those incredibly precise turn on a dime and operate on a solid line of movement sort of controls? Yeah, no. Any sort of underwater turns have to be done at a wide angle, and god help you if you missed a K letter during a segment where stuff's collapsing around you.

Also, to weigh in a little on the whole giant spike traps and such from that one level, remember what I said before about the Snowmads building these forts out of their own ships, and those "No Ties Allowed" signs that keep popping up. They knew DK would try to stop them once they invaded, so they started setting up bases pretty much solely to stop him.

Anyway, next level has a couple of my favorite stages in the game!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
And do some sort of vaguely threatening swat/bitchslap, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That's probably my favorite rocketbarrel level in the game. There are others with great setpieces like the cheese wheel, but when that penguin busted out of the door in that loving Dr. Robotnik style mech the first time, I just lost it I was laughing so hard.

Also fun fact you have to maintain Dixie through the entire level to get the last puzzle piece of that stage. DK by himself doesn't have enough height to reach it.

• Locked thread