Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Honestly, I may gripe about DKC1 or 3 in the bonus videos, but I really love all three of the original trilogy. The Donkey Kong games have that flow to them that I appreciate in platformers and with maybe a few exceptions, the obstacles and enemies never seem unfair. Plus they actually encourage you to try risky things and abuse the physics in order to find secrets. If you don't know how to roll jump, you can still beat the game, but you aren't getting 100% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Remind me what the context was for that discussion of Smash Bros.? Were we just bored at that point?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

unpronounceable posted:

Is it just me, or does the timer go down faster in Rambi's bonus level than the others?

That jumped out at me as well. We commented on it during Engarde's bonus level, but the clock doesn't run down at a normal rate sometimes. In Engarde's stage, it seemed like Artix had plenty of time. It might have something to do with the collectibles on screen, since it seemed to really go down when Artix was jumping over the top of the bonus stage.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

You never really appreciate how much you stutter and slur your words until you hear yourself talk. Sheesh.

And yeah, I can honestly say that if I didn't know about that shortcut, we would have been in Gorilla Glacier for the whole video. It was pretty bad.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Derek Barona posted:

Also, all hail the mighty DK and his ability to utterly annihilate all life around him by causing disasters, natural or otherwise, wherever he goes. That's two levels in one video where him cruising through the zone caused some sort of horrific chaos.

It's a well-known fact that any setpiece in a modern game has at least a 50% chance of crumbling under the force of intense parkouring. Just ask Nathan Drake or Lara Croft.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

FPzero posted:

There's actually an Enguarde crate at the start of Poison Pond if you swim through the left wall. I think he's actually in every water level at some point along the way.

Watching you handle Trick Track Trek was painful.

And that was just the edited version. Not included were at least two or three other attempts.

It's too bad that we lost the first recording, otherwise you would have gotten to see Artix's first go at Poison Pond. Now THAT was painful.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
And of course there are the monkey challenges in Super Mario Galaxy where you get mad points for bouncing on as many things in close succession as possible. Mass murder is fun, it seems.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Watching the video, you guys bring up a very good point. Why aren't the hand grenades in DK 64 pineapples instead of oranges?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I don't know if watching you facetank your way through the K level with the Dixie barrels was funny or sad. Probably the latter.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Also, when you just ran past that DK barrel and activated the Cranky barrel you had in reserve instead, I died a little inside. Good job.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Looper posted:

krazy kremland is probably my favorite world in the dkc trilogy

also hold left at the beginning of the rickety race for a fun and wholly unintuitive surprise

Yeah, we showed that off in the take that got scrapped, along with another unintuitive secret in the bramble level involving brambles that aren't actually brambles. DKC2 gets really weird with its hidden stuff.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
So far as bosses go, he's oddly simplistic in his design; just a polar bear with a hammer. The arena you're fighting him in seems to be more interesting than the dude himself. That, combined with the part where the game only lets you hit him once before he does a lengthy pratfall into the piranha-filled syrup river (?) means that the boss fight seems unnecessarily padded and tedious.

Then again, boss fights in this game seem to be kind of padded in general.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm one of the few who actually liked Parrot Chute Panic. I think it's simplicity makes for an interesting gimmick. But Web Woods is far too long. Squitter is far to slow of a mover to dedicate an entire level to.

I dunno, I've always had a real bias towards Squitter levels because of the shooting aspect. Sure, the platforming takes a while, but they seed plenty of enemies to shoot in their dumb faces while you hop from web to web, so at least for me, it's not boring.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Ometeotl posted:

So what's the boss of the GBA version?

Actually, I've never taken a close look at the boss before, so I decided to look him up myself.

It's worse than I imagined.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
While I consider this game to be generally a weaker entry in the series than its predecessor, I can't give enough praise for that introductory level. The song, the enemy layout, the way the level's put together, and so on are all well-designed to provide a stress-free playground to learn all of the game's basic mechanics. It's a great example of learning by doing.

Take that cracked section of boat above the bonus game barrel for instance. If the barrel wasn't there, the player could have easily just run past the cracked floor and not thought too much of it. But the fact that the barrel is there forces the player to learn how the buddy throwing mechanics work. This game has its weak points, but its approach to teaching the player isn't one of them.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
By the way, going back to the first area of DKC3, I noticed a couple neat things during my recent playthrough.

First, while you may not have noticed it without thinking about it first, a lot of the mechanics with Ellie are given away by a Y-shaped bunch of bananas that appear right before you pick up your first barrel and before you suck one in from far away. The game doesn't have tutorials, but it does a nice subtle job of cluing you in on how things work.

Second, you don't actually have to throw bugs at Belcha. If you're holding the bug out in front of you as Kiddy Kong and you jump at the thing's mouth, you'll get bumped away and the bug will fall right in. I don't know if that's easier or harder than just throwing them. I just thought that was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I said it already, but for me, my absolute favorite stage theme in DKC3 is the first one that we hear, Stilt Village. The cocky casual swagger of the basic Kremling enemy combined with that song really works well together.

e: A close second from the ones we've heard already would have to be Hot Pursuit. It's a high-intensity song that fits Riverside Race so perfectly.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread