Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Web Wood is the worst level in this entire game,, bar none. It's got that ugly piss fog, a terrible color palette, boring gameplay, a bonus level whose annoyance far outweighs the clever thinking behind it and worse of all, an uninspired DK coin placement at the very end of the level that only exists for 8 frames (according to AGDQ) and you only get one try at it before having to slog through the entire level again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the hilarious thing about how bad Quawks is as an animal buddy is that he didn't get named until after Donkey Kong Country 3. Both the guide for DKC2 and DKC3 just list him as "Squawks' purple cousin". I mean, I don't get the point of him at all. Was Rare trying out different improvements for Squawks and settled on the one we ultimately got, but then some random asshat just could not let go of Quawks' abilities for some reason and they decided to appease said asshat? I'll give credit to DKC3 for trying to do something more with him, but we'll get there when we do.

Anyhew, I like Web Woods as well. Yes, I agree that it feels way too long and the bonus levels are hidden behind some hot bullshit, but I enjoy it. Gusty Glade, on the other hand, can go choke on a bag of dicks. Mostly because of Rattly and how wonky he is to control with his bouncing for me.

Someone came up with the idea for a Squawks level where he wouldn't be able to truly fly and then they changed it to purple because it would be confusing and unintuitive to make the player have to learn whether or not Squawks can fly each time he's encountered.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what's the boss of the GBA version?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Good, now it's almost time for me to vehemently defend DKC3 at every turn.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Looper posted:

I think Screech's Sprint might be the only level to actually require that midair roll jump? Don't quote me on that but it definitely tripped me up a lot as a kid, not realizing that mechanic existed. And yeah I love almost every part of that K. Rool fight but the final hit is kinda mean. That dumb magic blunderbuss is amazing tho

I've been playing through all three games and uh you might just have a compatriot

:hfive:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

K. Rool is still the cartooniest thing in the entire trilogy, though, so...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Artix posted:

And you know what? gently caress that noise.

DKC3 has always been my personal favorite of the original trilogy. Maybe it's because I could actually beat it as a kid, unlike DKC2. Maybe it's a healthy dose of nostalgia, combined with the level gimmicks making them more memorable. It's not wrong to say that DKC2 is better in just about every objective measure, but I know which game I liked better as a kid, and I hope this playthrough means as much to you as it does to me.

Hell yeah.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You absolutely can ride in the steel barrels in this game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Cranky Kong is obviously Roshi, not King Kai.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The mountain/canyon level theme is the best and is one of the best pieces of music in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Poutine is a culinary abomination unfit for consumption by even the notorious garbage eaters, raccoons.

• Locked thread