Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
so do you think that's banana icing or is DK more of a mustard-on-dessert kinda guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Earnestly posted:

It's not banana. It's just yellow flavored.

surely Donkey Kong can do better than grocery store confections!

Also I take umbrage to the Banjo Tooie comparison; Tropical Freeze is actually better than its predecessor :colbert:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Earnestly posted:

Okay, I don't get it. Will someone please explain the war criminal thing to me?

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: The War of Northern Kongression

the writing's on the wall, man

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Plus it's fair to say DK Island probably wasn't a natural rock formation

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ungulateman posted:

I can't believe DK would start a war without passing it through...

Kongress.

:v:

Sure he would, it's a banana republic anyway

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Spider buddy is the best buddy, forever and always

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also the mine cart levels are really cool and a good way to handle auto scrollers in my opinion

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Friendly reminder that the music for the goofy star wars tree top levels owns and the remix in DKCR owns even more

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
umm he can also pound the ground and unearth sweet banana secrets which is totally a thing i've done in more than just the first two levels before forgetting all about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
at least they aren't tied to any secrets or unlocks though, that kind of straight up fiendish design wouldn't be much fun in 2 or 3

Artix is rightfully not giving a poo poo about them but i hope he shows off that one bonus level in the factory world because it is just bonkers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Horn Top Hop is where I went from liking Tropical Freeze to loving it, and Sawmill Thrill just confirmed that

and ya owls are notoriously bad about cleaning out their spit valves y'know

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you for showing off the beauty that is a bonus within a bonus. Nested bonus

I really like Kremcroc Industries but that's because I really like the factory levels and that's because I really like the music, which also got an amazing remix in DKCR...

Acne Rain posted:

you might explain this past minute eight but I kind of doubt it: What is the difference between Kiddy and Donkey that makes Kiddy so much worse? I thought Kiddy was basically Donkey but with more powers and a lamer character premise

he's a big dumb baby who cries when he takes a hit

also kinda sorta child soldier wtf donkey kong

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Chimp Caverns is hella lame because it's a boring clump of the game's most boring level archetypes but hey that rad pirate ship keeps getting closer surely it'll have some really great levels!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Bopopolis is a strong contender for greatest platforming level ever designed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I miss the Kremlings. They had character and a lot of these enemies feel really generic.

respectful disagreement

the pirate kremlings were cool but the ice vikings are just as rad and definitely better than dkc1 and 3 enemies, and the bosses are way better at least visually

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

i don't want to fight you, only pity you

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i would like to point out that rattly is not in fact a rattlesnake and krow is not in fact a crow, likely more victims of hateful kong propaganda

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

whitehelm posted:

You need all the golden bananas to get the bonus 101% ending. The regular bananas are the useless collectibles (after getting 75 per kong).

that ending is probably even less rewarding than the ffx-2 one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

maybe someone should do a minimalist run instead of a dazzling addar run

Like a lot of the content is really repetitive and the big complaint is too much to collect... so why not see how much you actually need to finish the game?
Might be a fun exercise and a counter to the usual complaints.

Then again, you still might need everything. From what I remember of the Dazzling Addar adventure, last world requires almost everyones bananas anyway to complete, which means you'll need everyone unlocked and probably most of their powers unlocked.

even if there weren't too many collectables, none of the kongs control very well and the camera is trash garbage and most of the levels are just a pain to navigate and the minigames are generally awful

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

I will find a way to record dk64 for commentary, because I want to defend this great game which is dragged down by having 50% more content than needed

i will undermine everything you say!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this boss was actually my least favorite (even more so than the next world!), mostly because of the last phase

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

It took me a while to figure out why the hook-handed Kremling is called Krook. Then I realized it's a play on the old idiom "by hook or by crook." Cheeky Rare.

those hook-ended staffs shepherds use are called crooks! his hands might not be long enough for the classical definition but then again, he is a little short

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

What I'm getting out of this video is that blind sally and geop need to do a vid together and just sling puns everywhere.

e: I can kind of see why there's no animal buddies, the levels here are the stars. The SNES couldn't do as much and so adding places where you controlled differently helped differentiate parts, and now that levels can transform themselves and poo poo it's not as needed.

But maybe now that they've had two games about DK+pals they could ease into one or two more animal friends. Like I think squitter can't really work anymore but maybe some of the others that are kind of smaller departures like running faster or jumping higher could work...

I think it's more that animal buddies functioned as powerups in the original trilogy whereas now you have the other kongs fulfilling the same general function, plus Rambi as a sort of legacy thing

also little known fact tarantino takes name ideas from donkey kong country

Looper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 12, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anyone who can beat bopopolis so easily doesn't need to worry about animal antics. i believe

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

What is it about a static number next to your file that makes you go "I NEED TO MAKE THAT SAY 100, NO MATTER THE COST" whereas ACTUAL unlockable content (even just artwork) does nothing for you?

i just want my parents to love me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i maintain that these water levels would be good and fun if only donkey kong hadn't forgotten how to breathe underwater

also i like how the boss renders himself (mostly) invincible just by facing a different direction

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

They don't look all that bad to me in terms of level layout, but the air mechanic is stupid, especially considering that it didn't exist in the original DKC games or DK64. Are the swimming controls good, at least? I think the boss fight would have been a lot better with no air meter. It seems like it went a lot quicker than the other fights in this game so far.

I don't know if Retro did this intentionally, but the cylinder hitting the spikes in the KONG letter level reminds me of an old-style music box. I wouldn't be surprised if it was, since they're really good at creating game environments.

they're like a heavier version of rayman legends' underwater controls, aka the only platforming game to have good water levels

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
krazy kremland is probably my favorite world in the dkc trilogy

also hold left at the beginning of the rickety race for a fun and wholly unintuitive surprise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The female Kremlings are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female Kremling would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered alligators so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female Kremlings are painted hot yellow and granted the enlarged, fluttery swords so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that cutlass," declares Diddy and he gets a look at one of the ladykremlings' rear end. In one scene, the game even eroticises

go on

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Only got one sentence in and

what the gently caress :psyduck:

welcome, to the kong kabal

also rare is the king of bullshit collectable gotchas for one reason that'll come up in the next dkc2 video!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Txn posted:

Don't remind me of that. As much as I love DKC3, Stampede Sprint is a nightmare.

it's one of my favorite gimmick levels and a neat spin on the mine cart levels, which were already a more interesting autoscroller :shobon:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bashmaster's the fuckin best

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
well he also had a popsicle but somebody had to ruin his day

i mean, i like his arena and i like his weird magic ice hammer and i like his music and i like his animations and i like how instead of turning red because he's mad he turns purple because you keep dunking him in popsicle juice and i like that he's a viking polar bear wearing a championship belt

Looper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMZa_vUQ1k dem synth chords

Blastinus posted:

So far as bosses go, he's oddly simplistic in his design; just a polar bear with a hammer. The arena you're fighting him in seems to be more interesting than the dude himself. That, combined with the part where the game only lets you hit him once before he does a lengthy pratfall into the piranha-filled syrup river (?) means that the boss fight seems unnecessarily padded and tedious.

Then again, boss fights in this game seem to be kind of padded in general.

i meant to respond to this earlier, but the dunking animation is a good opportunity for you to get situated, since you are having to deal with ice physics the whole time. it's nice to have some breathing room, unless you're super impatient. also you're commenting on simplistic design in a game full of them, the main character is just a gorilla in a necktie, it seems like a deliberate theme

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dk island has never had a strong economy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
haunted halls is the fuckin best and i'm sad the dilapidated library and the ghost of tupac only show up the once

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the hilarious thing about how bad Quawks is as an animal buddy is that he didn't get named until after Donkey Kong Country 3. Both the guide for DKC2 and DKC3 just list him as "Squawks' purple cousin". I mean, I don't get the point of him at all. Was Rare trying out different improvements for Squawks and settled on the one we ultimately got, but then some random asshat just could not let go of Quawks' abilities for some reason and they decided to appease said asshat? I'll give credit to DKC3 for trying to do something more with him, but we'll get there when we do.

squawks is just really allergic to honey and was feeling a little under the weather after the last boss fight

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

These were the last two Kremkoins I found out of the whole game. The reward... was more pain :argh:

I swear I'm the only one who likes the beehive levels.

the only bad level archetype in this game is the ice cavern because it's so visually monotonous, even more so than the bramble levels

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like playing as diddy more because he's noticeably faster than dixie

Y-Hat posted:

I think Squitter is the best animal buddy, but Web Woods shows the limitations of building a level for him. When you can explore the level so thoroughly with web platforms, it becomes hard to hide bonus levels and DK coins, hence the questionable placement of all of them.

i'm wondering if an exploration-based level like that lovely water maze in tropical freeze could have worked for squitter, though i'm not really sure how you'd manage that in the snes dkc engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Actually, I've never taken a close look at the boss before, so I decided to look him up myself.

It's worse than I imagined.

those dk64 sound effects are killing me

• Locked thread