Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was lucky enough to have DKC2 when I was a kid. Man that's one of my favorite platformers. I managed to play the original DKC and wasn't too impressed by it. DKC2 just did so much better. Wasn't really feeling DK3 though. Not sure why, but Kiddy Kong not being as fun to use as Diddy might have been one of the reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Tropical Freeze compares to DKC2. Although that first boss looked less than favorable. Looks like there was too much waiting around and might have went on for a bit too long. Hopefully the actual levels are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Diddy's definitely better if you want to just blaze through the stages. I thought DKC2 had a good combination of Kongs, since while it stings to lose Dixie, Diddy's still pretty agile and it doesn't feel like you lost a lot of mobility by being stuck with him, like with Donkey or Kiddy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I prefer Stickerbrush Symphony (The original, not the... thing Smash Bros claims it is) or Forest Interlude

Fun fact about that song. Stickerbush Symphony almost didn't make it into DKC2. It was actually meant to be DKC2's version of Aquatic Ambiance, but there weren't any ocean or sea levels in that game. But Rare decided to stick it into the bramble stages in the end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

One thing I've noticed in the DKC1 videos is that Donkey Kong himself looks kind sluggish. What does he have over Diddy? Aside from being the character that holds stuff overhead. The last time I played the first DKC game was like several years ago, so I don't really remember much about it aside from it not being my cup of tea.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, while I understand you have to make him less of an rear end in a top hat if he's gonna be riding around on DK's back same as Diddy and Dixie, it was kind of Cranky's entire point to always be making GBS threads on the games and everything about them. Taking that away just doesn't feel like a good move.

Considering he's a playable character in Tropical Freeze, I don't think he's getting a speaking role at all. :v: Unless he was talking about Returns 1 in which he was kind of a dick, but not nearly on the level as the old Country games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Artix posted:

This is the article we were talking about, by the way. Gaze upon its majesty.

:psyduck: How did people come up with this? Actually, I don't think I want to know.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Man, I think they made a bad move by making the bonuses more like DKC1's instead of like DKC2 and 3's. I liked those little challenges a lot more, especially because they had a lot more variety in what they had you do. Except for maybe the whole green bananas thing DKC3 had.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, there was a Game Boy Color version of DKC? :psyduck: I know about the GBA remake, but this is the first time I've heard about that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Wing Ding is probably my favorite song in the game now that I've played through and I really wish I noticed during recording that the song actually changes when you're sliding on vines as opposed to regular platforming. I also take back what I said about having a bad time playing Bopopolis, that level, along with all of TF's K levels, is an absolute blast to play. They just feel so good in motion once you've got a hang of what you're doing. Speedruns are also a joy to watch.

That was beautiful. I see Retro put as much care into their levels in making them speedrun friendly like DKC2's level design.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alkydere posted:

The game is so speedrun friendly it even has a time-attack mode! :v: But yeah, Tropical Freeze is incredibly speedrun friendly. Since I lack a Wii U myself I've pretty much only seen the game through speedruns. And every now and then I get confused when Artix spends 30 seconds figuring out or showing off a segment that a speedrunner would go through in less than a second. For reference, the speed runners hate Retro's bosses even more than Artix does. :v:

On the plus side though, with Artix going through at an actually sane rate we'll be able to sit back and enjoy 3-1's absolutely baller music, in a proper speed run you barely get to hear it.

I started watching the AGDQ speedrun out of curiosity. :stare: Whoa. The game is really speedrun friendly, alright. It's neat how the levels were designed to let you blaze through them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 22, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And the fact that saving costs 2 coins. Fortunately they realized that was a dumb idea and never did it again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That first level was fantastic, and I loved the way that level ended. This game is a lot more lively than what I've played of Returns.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure why Retro is so adverse to using them. The Tikis were really dull. I guess the ice vikings are kind of a step up, but eh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DKC2 is just really fantastic. Man just listening to that music brought up memories. I think Welcome to Crocodile Isle is my favorite world map theme in the series. The water levels were actually my favorite levels when I was a kid (well, most of them anyway.) I just found them fun to go through. This was touched on in the video, but I do like how every mechanic you can make use of is actually useful in this game. Instead of being a one-off ability you would never use outside of very specific situations. (Donkey's ground slap in the original game, Kiddy's ability to break cracked floors.)

As for Rattly's air hops, I think that's a consequence of having him to be able to jump at any time. He hops along the ground as he moves, so if you had to wait for him to be on the ground to jump, that would probably just make him frustrating to control. I'm not sure if that was an issue Winky had, though.

I also love the sound the Kremlings make when they die in this game. It's so over the top.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 30, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

So out of interest: How many people have not spotted the pun in DKC2's title in the 20+ years it has been out?

I didn't realize it until several years ago (and had to have it pointed out to me.) For a long time, I thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't know. Maybe all the collectibles ate up a ton of the memory or something.

Funnily enough during development, the game kept crashing for some reason when the memory was restricted to 4 MB. They couldn't pin down the reason that happened, but using the Expansion Pak stopped that from happening. Which was the actual reason the game needed the N64 Expansion Pak, not because it was too big or anything on its own.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I believe Artix said he'd go for any missing Kremcoins offscreen since they are used for something in this game. No idea about the Hero Coins since those are optional.

In Lava Lagoon, if you go for the G, you can actually see the invincibility barrel on the other side, which at least lets you know there's a fake wall somewhere. Granted you would have to care about the Kong letters to find out about that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Color Printer posted:

The Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony is really weird to me because while it's a good song, I don't think it's a very good Stickerbrush Symphony remix for some reason.

It has like a different tone from the original. I didn't even recognize it as Stickerbush Symphony when I first heard it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Remember the stupid boss that was added in for the GBA port of DKC2? It's worse.

Everything about this screams :effort:.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 20, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Incidentally, the Wii version changed the "plot" from DK beating things up for the heck of it to, animals stole his bananas, get them back. Clearly historical revisionism in action.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You were supposed to surf on that steel barrel at the end and roll through all the enemies. Hence the level name. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Is it wrong of me to have actually enjoyed the aesthetic of that lakeside stage just because it was a nighttime level? Because everything else was garbage and shouldn't exist.

Also, what do you actually get for beating that world? Just another bonus coin for killing Barbos?

If you're after 100% completion, you're forced to get everything in that world on top of the ported stuff. They upped the number of collectibles needed to 100% the game in the GBA version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The music in Cliffside Blast (the name of which completely defies every single other level in the DKC series besides Surf's Up and that's driving me nuts) also seems to be more fun than the others on the SNES. Ultimately these games are silly, and they know it, but the SNES soundtrack takes a much more serious tone for whatever reason.

The SNES seems to be going for a more atmospheric tone. Whether or not that works is up to you, but I do have to say, the GBA version of Treetop Tumble really should have been a different song. It's really happy and upbeat which isn't really a problem, except it plays in all the tree levels, including Ripsaw Rage. Which is hilariously unfitting.

• Locked thread