Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Colonel Cluck? That's almost as bad as the bird boss's name, Stu.

Also, if the Tiki bosses are instruments, what's the very first guy supposed to be? (The one who hypnotizes that yellow dinosaur Mugly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I really liked the Face-and-Hands Tiki Tong fight in this one. With exception to Wham Bam (or whatever that Kirby enemy you guys mentioned), you don't see these kinds of fights in platformers too much anymore. Also, I found Tiki Tong to be really hard for some reason, even though actually watching the fight doesn't really show it; he's one of the hardest bosses for me in the entire DKC series.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

After watching the first vid (of DKC3), I can say I honestly don't remember as much of it as I thought I did. I remember the banana birds and bear brother bartering were a pain in the rear end, but I completely forgot about the boss, Belcha, and even gimmicky stages like Elly being afraid of mice. This is pretty cool.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I never had enough devotion to finish the K levels and unlock the Golden Temple, but after seeing it, the stage really makes me hungry. And yeah, I'm a little disappointed that it's only a single stage; not even a bizarre bonus boss fight or anything.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Alkydere posted:

At least Tropical Freeze had a fully fleshed out K-world.

Now I'm rather excited to see this :allears:

...Or maybe just curious.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know of any games with good rewards for 100%ing the game.

I mostly agree with you, but for me, I'll take rewards that offer some form of replay value; in example, if you 100% something, why not unlock a secret character to play as that can carry over to a New Game+ (or equivalent)? The mirror version would also be pretty neat, but I like the idea of starting a stage from the end to the beginning, rather than just swapping perspectives. I'm not much of a completionist, so I have no real desire (or time, anymore) to go after things that would take me forever; bragging rights aren't really worth it for me.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I never played the GBA ports, but based on what I've seen from the new bonus "bosses", I think I'll keep my childhood memories of DKC2 and DKC3 and pretend the ports never existed.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

The long-rear end attack patterns could get irritating, but I've been seeing it in a lot of games these last few years (hit the boss once, dodge a bevy of various attacks while the boss remains untouchable, repeat). Otherwise, the walrus viking (Lord Fredrik? or something) looked like a worthy final boss.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Jungle Beats tired my wrists out. I'm kind of curious to see how it progresses, since I don't think I ever got involved past the first world.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

That looked really anticlimactic for a lost world / final hidden stage, or is it just me?

I like the psychedelic fruit trip of DKC Returns better aesthetically, but the DKCTF ones look like they're more challenging. I get Sky Garden (Marble Garden? whatever) vibes from those old Sonic games when I see the background environment.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Even as a kid, I always wondered: what is Squirt supposed to be? Is he a sea creature? Is it a living statue behind a waterfall?

For what it's worth, I really like the gimmick behind Hungry Fish (does he have a name?) I personally would have like to have seen more stages with him.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Kaos' visor lights up right before he shoots his eye lasers, so honestly, you can get away with just standing around and rolling aside as soon as his eyes glow. I weirdly had a lot of trouble with his robot body trapping me in between the walls while he burned the ground.

Also, I completely forgot about Purple Squawks (or whatever his name was). But I certainly didn't miss him.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

And with that reference, I really can see James Earl Jones voicing K. Rool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

If K. Rool was a king in the first game, a pirate in the second, and a scientist in the third, what is he in DK64? Or was this around the time K. Rool stopped being the major villain? (Not gonna lie, I love the idea behind those viking arctic baddies in Tropical Freeze).

• Locked thread