Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ungulateman posted:

I can't believe DK would start a war without passing it through...

Kongress.

:v:

I need you, and you specifically, to :kongout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That treetop level was clearly Kashyyyk and not Endor

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I replayed it after Addar's LP and still think it's really good. It suffers slightly from being a collectathon that requires multiple characters, but it does not punish you for not 100%ing the game. It's like Returns in that you don't need all the puzzle pieces, but you don't immediately know which bananas you don't need.

Going through on a less than 100% run is fun as hell and enjoyable all the way through if a banana is frustrating.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Artix posted:

God willing, no one. Unless one of you apologists want to get your hands dirty.

If I get my hands dirty I can guarantee I will not be playing for every golden banana, because gently caress that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I will find a way to record dk64 for commentary, because I want to defend this great game which is dragged down by having 50% more content than needed

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I will see if I can get a version running smoothly and recorded properly, but if somebody else wants to give it a shot I will volunteer to ardently white knight the dank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

You know, for saying neither of you guys care about the puzzle pieces in Returns and TF, you seem to be going out of your way to get them a lot of the time. Not a criticism, just an observation.

See, that's one video game design choice that Retro has done which is absolutely loving devious.

Most people who play games are used to the base level of game design, where they are funneled to try new things. Anybody who has watched Egoraptor's video on MMX knows what that means, where it drags you along in a natural progression without explicitly telling you "hey, go here."

Then there were games that hid collectibles in places that were unintuitive to their own gameplay design. The game frames you at the left side of the screen, with interesting things and bananas to the right of you, but the actual hidden thing you want is to the left. It rewards players who explore by giving them extra goodies. Kirby 64 especially did this a lot, with lots of 1UPs, Stars, and health-up items hiding just beside your starting position in a way that the game isn't immediately making obvious you should explore.

Retore has subverted that now. See, what they've done is make a 100% completion rating for each level using the KONG letters, like DKC did, and the puzzle pieces. The difference is that, unlike DKC games, most of these puzzle pieces are actually in areas that are outright natural for most people to find, as long as they're conditioned to finding the hidden collectibles which were "hidden" by not being in places that people were conditioned to look for things. So, collecting whole strings of bananas, going backwards from the start point, jumping down pits, these are all examples of how Retro hooks you in with the obvious secrets.

And then they give you that "4/5 Puzzle Pieces" tally at the end. They've actually hidden puzzle pieces in places even more obtuse, or more obvious, than you'd even consider. So you replay a level to do the same thing and collect them all, because you were only one piece away, right?

So as you naturally play the games, they litter just enough puzzle pieces to tap on that Skinner Box part of your loving brain where "collect all things" = "good stuff" and dangle one just out of your reach. The intent is to practically force a certain kind of person into 100% the game, but even if you aren't that spergy, the natural impulse to do certain bonus games or hunt out certain secrets still exists for the player. So they'll always find some, no matter how little they care.

• Locked thread