Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

oh im sorry i forgot this is a saaaafe spaaace for loving dags who cant handle words on a screen they are voluntarily reading.

If you have to bring women down to get your burns in, you're doing it wrong. You're not Negligent, strive to be a better poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BCR posted:

*Just in case you don't know*

If you're a casual, you won't get sick pay or holiday pay, but you'll get 25% more pay to make up for this.

If you're permanent part time or permanent, you get sick leave and annual leave and long service leave.

If you're a contractor, chances are you're being hosed.

https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/ this can help

Join your union. Don't join the Shoppies.

Know your award, and check you're being paid correctly.

Check your super, are they actually paying the right amount or paying it all?

ACTU helpline: 1300 486 466
Fair work Australia: 13 13 94

You need legal support in case poo poo happens at work. You get hurt, someone else gets hurt, you get accused of stealing, etc. You need legal advice. You can get free legal advice through your union by paying your membership fee. $200 a year is better than paying the $200+ an hour you would have to if you hire a lawyer. There is free legal support that can help, but might not be able to in your case.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/legal-aid-nsw-offices
https://legalaid.vic.gov.au/
http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx

*nods approvingly*

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

Abbott is P I S S E D

He was always going to go out screaming rather than quietly.

I think the second funniest thing Abbott ever said was that the adults are back in charge.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
fairfax does a multimedia extravaganza, it would be most unlike toned abs to take it sitting down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Starshark posted:

I think the second funniest thing Abbott ever said was that the adults are back in charge.

Was the funniest "Aaaah, umm, ahh"?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cleretic posted:

Was the funniest "Aaaah, umm, ahh"?

It's a personal thing so I don't expect you to agree with me, but it's when he called carbon dioxide, among other things, a weightless substance.

e: JOHN LAWS:
And imagine the administration costs of doing that? What’s the point of it if you take it away with one hand and give it back with the other?

TONY ABBOTT:
Exactly right. Even if they were trying to give it all back to you, there would still be the deadweight costs, all the extra bureaucrats. See, one of the things that people haven’t quite twigged to is that carbon dioxide is invisible, it’s weightless and it’s odourless. How are we going to police these emissions…

JOHN LAWS:
I don’t know.

TONYABBOTT:
…I mean, how are we going to police these emissions? This carbon cop is going to be an extraordinarily intrusive instrumentality, running around trying to make sure that all these businesses aren’t actually emitting given that you can’t actually see, smell or touch what’s going on.

JOHN LAWS:
Well, I just don’t know how it can be measured.

TONY ABBOTT:
Well, it can be measured but it’s a very difficult process.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
I know you've all been hanging out for it so here are a couple of brand new episodes of the Conez and Doh show where we discuss all sorts of hot button issues like:

- driverless cars
- the shaping of masculinity, from outward bound treks to care bear videos
- virtual reality cyber prisons and exciting new pathways in torture and suffering
- was Pacman a crack addict? did Donkey Kong unleash AIDS on the world?
- How Nickleback could have stopped the Bataclan massacre and the disturbing commonalities between the belgian mastermind of the terror attacks and Hollywood Victim Charlie Sheen
- Trump's authoritarianism vs 'P.C. fascism' - what kind of handicap does the Queen have
- Weed, weed and weather
- Doh gets reader mail on sensitive indigenous topics
- Cecil Rhodes gets a chub-on and Stalin shows his sensitive side

and much much more, loaded with the laughs and wisdom and bookended by some great original tunes

Listen to it (also available on itunes for you Wozniak knob-slobberers)

https://soundcloud.com/user-456894491

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

She said the former prime minister was undone by his own performance as leader.

Mr Abbott rejected this too: "If that's true, why has the government not changed any of its key policies?"
If my leadership was so bad why is the leader the only thing they changed? :smuggo:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Labor are supporting a move to scrap the student startup payment for students on youth allowance and austudy. Instead, students will be forced to go into even more HECS-HELP debt, just so they can afford clothing, electricity, and textbooks.

Yay.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mithranderp posted:

Labor are supporting a move to scrap the student startup payment for students on youth allowance and austudy. Instead, students will be forced to go into even more HECS-HELP debt, just so they can afford clothing, electricity, and textbooks.

Yay.

What was the student startup payment? They didn't have that when I worked for C'link.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

and much much more, loaded with the laughs and wisdom and bookended by some great original tunes

I have to say I legitimately liked "On The Hill" a few weeks ago.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Starshark posted:

What was the student startup payment? They didn't have that when I worked for C'link.

Isn't the start-up paying the twice yearly CL payments of approximately $1200 for people studying full time to help pay for books/incidental expenses related to your education? I'm on Aus-study now and every February and August there's a large bonus paid. It's always helped because it always seemed to coincide with some large expense that popped up.

Are Labor proposing to put anything in its place or are they talking about just scrapping it outright? If Labor supports it, whats the soonest this change in policy could take effect?

**edit** here it is: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/student-start-up-scholarship

**edit 2** Centrelink has posted an article about the budget proposal to remove it: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1415/measures/young-people-and-students/17-000618

Except centrelink says it's been removed as of 1 January 2015... I'm sure I got the scholarship through 2015, does that mean that they just extended me a loan or has this not passed yet so the information that it will not be part of 2015 payments not up to date?

Serrath fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 1, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SynthOrange posted:

Lmao black lung is making a comeback in qld.

Lmao, we might have an epidemic of an incurable illness due to neglect of mining companies and some will probably die from it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Serrath posted:

Isn't the start-up paying the twice yearly CL payments of approximately $1200 for people studying full time to help pay for books/incidental expenses related to your education? I'm on Aus-study now and every February and August there's a large bonus paid. It's always helped because it always seemed to coincide with some large expense that popped up.

Are Labor proposing to put anything in its place or are they talking about just scrapping it outright? If Labor supports it, whats the soonest this change in policy could take effect?

**edit** here it is: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/student-start-up-scholarship

**edit 2** Centrelink has posted an article about the budget proposal to remove it: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/corporate/publications-and-resources/budget/1415/measures/young-people-and-students/17-000618

Except centrelink says it's been removed as of 1 January 2015... I'm sure I got the scholarship through 2015, does that mean that they just extended me a loan or has this not passed yet so the information that it will not be part of 2015 payments not up to date?

It was $1025/semester (at least for me on youth allowance it was). It's probably a typo/old page (lol at LNP hubris) TBH since this cut has been on the cards since the first budget. So they probably want to start it as of semester 1, 2016. I'm also interested to see if they let students borrow more than $2000/y for it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hey, did Australia melt away today?

If not, why not?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Spudd posted:

Hey, did Australia melt away today?

If not, why not?

I'm in an air conditioned library at the moment, but it wasn't fun getting here. Not looking forward to home time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm pretty sure anyone who was already on austudy had their existing startup scholarship payments grandfathered in rather than transferred to a loan system.

Which means: fygm

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Wait I missed the hive mind consensus on the sex party, did we decide they are good for disagreeing with amethyst on abortion protestors or are they a libertarian party run by the sex industry?

It's a group of people who need to represent themselves in the discourse, but it is a business lobby in a lot of respects, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

And state departments have had the info about it for a while too

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Medicare changes got cancelled till next year(?), and this morning the Minister was saying it would be totally going to the Senate today.

I got a mention in Parliament today (not by name) so I'm in Hansard now.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Comstar posted:

The Medicare changes got cancelled till next year(?), and this morning the Minister was saying it would be totally going to the Senate today.

I got a mention in Parliament today (not by name) so I'm in Hansard now.

Maybe one day your words will molder in the basement of the University of Newcastle Auchmuty library!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://gu.com/p/4eke4
A good thing was accidentally done.

quote:

The federal government should help set a minimum standard for halal certification to avoid “unscrupulous” exploitation, a Senate inquiry has recommended.

The inquiry into third-party food certification found “lacklustre” regulation of the domestic market failed to give consumers confidence and helped spread misinformation about what halal means.

Some certifiers were “nothing more than scammers”, the former committee chairman, Sam Dastyari, said, though he stressed the report dismissed any suggestion of a link between halal and terrorism funding, as some submissions had argued.

In a report tabled in the Senate on Tuesday afternoon, the committee recommended that the federal government work with the halal certification industry on setting minimum standards which certifiers would be forced to comply with. The standards would be monitored by the Department of Agriculture.

The Senate inquiry recommended that the government become the sole signatory on a halal certification, effectively making it responsible for the standards of meat exports.

It also recommended the federal government promote “whole of country”, government-led halal certification for all foods. The committee concluded that certification for halal food for the Australian domestic market should be subject to the same standards as export food.
Now the government must be halal :::gbsmith:::

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

SynthOrange posted:

From 2013:

http://www.qt.com.au/news/owen-jacques-apn-newsdeska-group-of-activist-docto/1882270/ posted:

The Doctors for the Environment Australia report - The Health Factor: ignored by industry, overlooked by government - warns of health dangers stemming from coal and gas projects whether planned or already in action.

In a joint rebuttal by Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association and the Queensland Resources Council , the two organisations point to the last case of pneumoconiosis or "black lung" occurred more than 20 years ago.

"Fear and misinformation is not substitute for scientific monitoring and reporting, to which the coal and CSG industries continue to contribute voluntarily with independent verification to state and federal authorities," a spokesman said.

The monitoring consisted of taking hundreds of thousands of chest X-rays to give workers the impression they were being monitored, then not bothering to have the X-rays examined.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hmm who to believe doctors or coal companies

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

From 2013:

The monitoring consisted of taking hundreds of thousands of chest X-rays to give workers the impression they were being monitored, then not bothering to have the X-rays examined.

Dear Australia: how?

Way too many news stories I see featuring Australia feature astounding institutional incompetence. Is it your national sport? Is it malice? Is it amazing regulatory capture?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
i'm so glad it's malcolm turnbull and not noted climate denialist and coal fetishist toned abs talking for australia in paris

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Conez and Doh show

Your talents are best spent with more podcasting and less posting. That's really backhanded but I like your podcast dude.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Metaconcert posted:

Dear Australia: how?

Way too many news stories I see featuring Australia feature astounding institutional incompetence. Is it your national sport? Is it malice? Is it amazing regulatory capture?

Institutional low-hanging fruit greed. With the backup excuse of "we followed the best practice of the time" 20 years later when they've destroyed enough evidence.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/bank...127-gl9q2i.html

quote:

Treasurer Scott Morrison has put ordinary Australian workers on notice that they should no longer expect to receive an age pension from the government when they retire.

Meanwhile, the very wealthy have been warned generous superannuation tax breaks are set to be reined in.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lmao

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So glad that politicians lifelong retirement payments will be removed as well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This is why states need to be able to raise their own taxes.

[edit: "But the age pension should not be regarded as an entitlement for all, but rather a "welfare payment for those who do not have the ability to save enough to fund their own retirement", Mr Morrison said." TBH he kind of has a point. The aged pension hasn't been enough to live comfortably for a long time (if it ever was)]

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

holy gently caress

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Never gets old that one.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hahaha

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Merry Christmas Island. a classic.

I've noticed that it's inside, not outside, someone's house.

we all knew this as gen x and Ys, we're never getting a pension. Age of entitlement and all that.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

BCR posted:

*Just in case you don't know*

If you're a casual, you won't get sick pay or holiday pay, but you'll get 25% more pay to make up for this.

If you're permanent part time or permanent, you get sick leave and annual leave and long service leave.

If you're a contractor, chances are you're being hosed.

https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/ this can help

Join your union. Don't join the Shoppies.

Know your award, and check you're being paid correctly.

Check your super, are they actually paying the right amount or paying it all?

ACTU helpline: 1300 486 466
Fair work Australia: 13 13 94

You need legal support in case poo poo happens at work. You get hurt, someone else gets hurt, you get accused of stealing, etc. You need legal advice. You can get free legal advice through your union by paying your membership fee. $200 a year is better than paying the $200+ an hour you would have to if you hire a lawyer. There is free legal support that can help, but might not be able to in your case.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/legal-aid-nsw-offices
https://legalaid.vic.gov.au/
http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Pages/Home.aspx

To add to this, lots of people at my work didn't realise that salaries are to be paid at 25% above award (like casual) but you get sick leave and annual leave (unlike casual). That's for the general hospitality award at least.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Nice try ALP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Kommando posted:

Merry Christmas Island. a classic.

I've noticed that it's inside, not outside, someone's house.

What? No, that's definitely outside.

• Locked thread