Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Kommando posted:

Merry Christmas Island. a classic.

I've noticed that it's inside, not outside, someone's house.

Is this your first time seeing the front of a house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

oh derp. who has a house number inside?

:hurr:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Nice try ALP.

"If we make all our posters green, we can win back the Greens vote!"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Is everyone keeping up with fairfax's big multi-part writeup on what brought Abbott down? Some revealing stuff in there.

quote:

oe Hockey sat down with Tony Abbott in the prime minister's office in Parliament House on a Sunday just a few weeks before they lost power.
Hockey, flanked by Treasury officials, presented his leader with details of a plan for a sweeping reform of the tax system. They took Abbott on what they called a "deep dive" into the Treasury's modelling of a new tax system.
The GST rate would rise from 10 to 15 per cent. It would apply only to the existing tax base, not to fresh food, education or financial services.
By the time the change was fully phased in over two to four years, this would generate about $40 billion in extra revenue to pay for the other parts of the plan.
Of this, $10-15 billion would go to the states as extra revenue for their needs. The rest would be used to fund tax cuts and to pay compensation to people on welfare and low incomes.
The new income tax rates? Hockey wanted big cuts "to make it a significant incentive to work". The ultimate aim of Hockey's plan was summarised as 40: 20: 20. The top marginal tax rate would fall from 45 per cent to 40 per cent.
The maximum marginal rate paid by most taxpayers would fall from 34.5 per cent to 20 per cent. The company tax rate would fall from 30 per cent to 20.
The lowest paid would receive their tax cuts first. The rest would be phased in over years.

Yeah Joe, this would definitely have survived an election. You complete moron.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nah mate this thread is about lawn decorations and tinsel on buses, what's up with this journalism thingo?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Better than the 9-9-9 plan I guess.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Blood in the Water!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/labor-accuses-mal-brough-of-misleading/6992958

quote:

Labor accuses Mal Brough of misleading Parliament, calls for him to step down Wednesday 2 December 2015 7:37AM (view full episode)

The Prime Minister, who's just arrived home from the Paris climate summit, returns to face mounting calls to stand aside his Special Minister of State Mal Brough, over Brough's alleged role in a plot to topple former Speaker Peter Slipper. Labor is accusing the Minister of misleading Parliament over his claim the 60 Minutes program selectively edited an interview in which he admitted asking former political staffer James Ashby to make copies of Peter Slipper's diary. 60 minutes responded by releasing the full, unedited question and answer.

Shadow Attorney General Mark Dreyfus has lead the Labor assault on Mal Brough. Mark Dreyfus joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

Brough was always a bold promotion and it is really hard to see him escape from this one. Well because he is as aledgedly guilty as gently caress for a start.

There was some boffin from some think tank on recently who suggested that the reason there was so much reliance (In the West) on signals intelligence is because the equipment manufacturers (from the military industrial complex) keep putting glossy brochures on the meeting room tables of all of the agencies that spend money on intelligence gathering. While this is undoubtedly a factor the one overarching problem with human intelligence sources (HUMINT as opposed to SIGINT) is they have a long lead in time (and are therefore expensive) but are prone to causing embarrassing moments for who ever is running them. Philby, Mata Hari, Petrov (etc.) The cold hard wires and chips of the SIGINT systems only spill the beans if they are hacked, compromised or inadvertently exposed. Even more troubling when the people who you have been cultivating and funding swap sides or finally show who's side they have been on all along (eg) Bin Laden. Little wonder SIGINT is now ruling the roust.

Posted without comment http://www.thatslife.com.au/Article/Real-Life/Real-Life-Stories/My-secret-life-as-an-Aussie-spy

Kommando posted:

I've noticed that it's inside, not outside, someone's house.
Late to the dog pile but that is a pretty typical terrace house front 'garden'.

Who needs the aged pension when youth suicide and global warming will take care of everything nature's way?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Is everyone keeping up with fairfax's big multi-part writeup on what brought Abbott down? Some revealing stuff in there.

Yeah Joe, this would definitely have survived an election. You complete moron.

Early on in the series it mentions that they decided against populism (hah) and opted to go for an agenda of respect. Ie that their measures might be tough but the people would respect them for it. I'm not sure respect is enough when you're struggling to pay rent and bills while feeding the family.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

Blood in the Water!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/labor-accuses-mal-brough-of-misleading/6992958

Brough was always a bold promotion and it is really hard to see him escape from this one. Well because he is as aledgedly guilty as gently caress for a start.
Andrew Elder did a good update to his blog covering Brough (yes, the rare Elder not bitching about the journalists in parliament update). Looks like Turnbull had to put him into the ministry because of Brough's support of him, but looks like that is going to backfire badly:

http://andrewelder.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/brough-enough.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're also completely deluded. People might be willing to accept that kind of thing if it's building towards something else, like the neo-liberal reforms of the 80s, but this wasn't promising a new world and a new way of living, it was just 'yeah well we've gotta tighten our belts, y'know'.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:siren: CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS ON THE BUS :siren:

Also what are the CFMEU up to today? Randomly shutting down the street in Brisbane it seems

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Birdstrike posted:

nah mate this thread is about lawn decorations and tinsel on buses, what's up with this journalism thingo?

Is there a War on Christmas in Australia too?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...201-gld1at.html

Tony has ditched Bronwyn and has decided to go it solo. I would say, don't quit your job, but he probably should do that too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

:siren: CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS ON THE BUS :siren:

Also what are the CFMEU up to today? Randomly shutting down the street in Brisbane it seems

:siren:ALERT LEVEL : CHOCULA:siren:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Is there a War on Christmas in Australia too?

It's a white genocide on Christmas thank you.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Complacency about Christmas decorations on public buses is the reason we have school chaplains.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hooman posted:

It's a white genocide on Christmas thank you.

Ah, my mistake, cheers! :tipshat:

open24hours posted:

Complacency about Christmas decorations on public buses is the reason we have school chaplains.

All that crap looks mighty itchy and uncomfortable, especially if it's as hot down there as y'all are saying.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Yule rue the day you complained about christmas decorations in public.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This is beyond hosed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

katlington posted:

This is beyond hosed.

It's also wishful thinking on his part. Anyone who believes that a form of public income for the aged unemployed isn't going to be a necessity in the face of increasing automation and global consolidation is blind.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Be agile!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
RIP me, I am undone.

Guardian AU posted:

Australia approved coalmine because it isn't a 'neo-colonialist' power, Greg Hunt claims
Environment minister defends approval of Indian company Adani’s $16bn Carmichael mine, saying ‘poorest should be able to make their own decisions’

The Australian government approved Adani’s controversial $16bn Carmichael coalmine in Queensland because it was not a “neo-colonialist”power that tried to tell poor countries what to do, environment minister Greg Hunt has told a side event at the Paris climate summit.

Hunt was speaking about the coalition’s Direct Action policy at an OECD event on different climate policies when he was challenged by a questioner about why the government had approved the Adani mine given the huge quantity of emissions its coal would create.

“This is not an Australian government project, it is a private sector firm from India and ... I thought we were over neocolonial moment where the wealthy decide what happens to the poor,” Hunt countered.

“I hope you would agree the poorest countries should be able to decide their own energy future. I am not a neo-colonialist. I think the poorest should be able to make their own decisions,” he said.

And he said the federal environment law allowed him to judge projects according to strict criteria, but greenhouse emissions weren’t one of them.

“It is not our project, there is no federal money, the federal government of Australia acts as a judge not as an advocate and I think it is very important that individual countries set their targets and make their own decisions,” he said.

Conservation groups have asked the federal court to overturn the Hunt’s approval Carmichael because he did not take into account the impact on the Great Barrier Reef of the greenhouse gases emitted when the coal is burned.

A recent report designed to highlight the quantity of emissions that would be created by the coal from the mine found that it would create annual emissions similar to those from countries like Malaysia and Austria and more emissions than New York City.

Others on the panel, including the head of the renewable energy division of the International Energy Agency, Paolo Frankl, said “reverse auctions” like Australia’s Direct Action scheme were proving very efficient around the world, especially in financing renewable energy projects. (Australia’s scheme has not been used for this purpose, but has mainly financed land use, waste and energy efficiency projects.) But he said a carbon price was usually also needed to drive a long term price signal.

Asked if reverse auctions could be used on their own to give business the long term price signals, Frankl said “it can but it would not be very useful. If you look at Brazil and Australia that is exactly what they are doing now, but in addition to that there should be a carbon price which could give an additional signal ... we need some long term price signal but also some short term signals.”

Hunt is leading Australia’s delegation in the first week of the two-week Paris climate summit which aims to reach an agreement to progressively increase the ambition of global efforts to reduce greenhouse gases out to 2030.

The foreign minister, Julie Bishop, will take over the negotiating lead next weekend. The talks began in earnest on Tuesday after a day of speeches by 150 world leaders designed to give them purpose and momentum.

Over the two weeks delegates will seek to overcome deep divisions over issues including whether rich and poor countries must face the same rules for reporting and checking their emission reductions and the amount of financing developed countries will provide to help poor nations reduce their emissions and deal with the impact of climate change.

loving kill me.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

It's also wishful thinking on his part. Anyone who believes that a form of public income for the aged unemployed isn't going to be a necessity in the face of increasing automation and global consolidation is blind.

Yeah, I can't imagine that many people are going to have enough super to completely live on after retirement, especially with an ever increasing life expectancy. It seems pretty obvious to me that the aged pension should be a livable payment for those who would otherwise struggle, seeing as it would be economically very silly to have a huge portion of the population being unable to buy anything.

hooman posted:

RIP me, I am undone.

loving kill me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The fine young cannibals cover of suspicious minds is the superior version.

hooman posted:

RIP me, I am undone.

loving kill me.

Leftist language, my favourite! Paris happened, nothing happened, we're all dead.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

RIP me, I am undone.

loving kill me.

This isn't real. Someone wrote this as satire. Greg Hunt is a Chaser sleeper agent.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Please stop trying to marginalise PoC (Powers of Capitalism)

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mal Brough offers a qualified apology to Parliament for "unwittingly" adding to confusion regarding his recollection of the Peter Slipper diaries affair.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/brough-says-sorry-over-slipper-interview-confusion/6993982

guess that's the issue settled then

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Mal Brough offers a qualified apology to Parliament for "unwittingly" adding to confusion regarding his recollection of the Peter Slipper diaries affair.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/brough-says-sorry-over-slipper-interview-confusion/6993982

guess that's the issue settled then

hmm yes, i'm sure this issue will naturally go away now

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

"Ah, well thank you for that appropriate gesture, now we, the labor party, will get on with the normal business of debating legislation"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

"Ah, well thank you for that appropriate gesture, now we, the labor party, will get on with the normal business of debating passing legislation"

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
North Sydney by-election this Saturday.

Greens get #1 on the ballot because I believe in fairness and decency and not being a shithead (and Authur Arthur Chesterfield-Evans has bitchin' eyebrows), but does anyone know anything about the other candidates so I can ignore everything said and research the candidates myself to make an informed and enlightened decision number my piece of paper based off the opinions of goons?

There are quite a few of them...

- POLLARD Lou, The Arts Party
- BOURKE William, Sustainable Population Party
- KENNARD Sam, Liberal Democrats
- BROMSON Kerry Susanne, Voluntary Euthanasia Party
- JANSSON James, Future Party
- CHESTERFIELD-EVANS Arthur, The Greens
- BEREGI Maryann, Independent
- NERO Silvana, Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
- MARKS Robert James, Palmer United Party
- ZIMMERMAN Trent, Liberal
- RUFF Stephen, Independent
- FREEMAN Luke, Australian Cyclists Party
- BOHM Tim, Bullet Train For Australia

Silvana Nero is dead last on my ballot by default.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 2, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Future Parties website looks like a Windows phone or something.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Vote Voluntary Euthanasia Party and Sustainable Population Party 1 and 2, because Australians need to kill ourselves.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rougey posted:

North Sydney by-election this Saturday.

Greens get #1 on the ballot because I believe in fairness and decency and not being a shithead (and Authur Arthur Chesterfield-Evans has bitchin' eyebrows), but does anyone know anything about the other candidates so I can ignore everything said and research the candidates myself to make an informed and enlightened decision number my piece of paper based off the opinions of goons?

There are quite a few of them...

- POLLARD Lou, The Arts Party
- BOURKE William, Sustainable Population Party
- KENNARD Sam, Liberal Democrats
- BROMSON Kerry Susanne, Voluntary Euthanasia Party
- JANSSON James, Future Party
- CHESTERFIELD-EVANS Arthur, The Greens
- BEREGI Maryann, Independent
- NERO Silvana, Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
- MARKS Robert James, Palmer United Party
- ZIMMERMAN Trent, Liberal
- RUFF Stephen, Independent
- FREEMAN Luke, Australian Cyclists Party
- BOHM Tim, Bullet Train For Australia

Silvana Nero is dead last on my ballot by default.

Looks like Stephen Ruff is better than the Libs or the ALP

https://drsruff.wordpress.com/policies/

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Frogmanv2 posted:

Looks like Stephen Ruff is better than the Libs or the ALP

https://drsruff.wordpress.com/policies/

keep him away from Chris Kenny

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
who bought the loving banner ad you fucker I hate you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i clicked on that because i wanted to know who was staring at me. i do not know anything about australia other than the drop bears though so i will see myself out. have a nice day

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Far-right group sells ‘Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot’ T-shirts before 10th anniversary rally

A far-right group is planning a rally to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Cronulla riots despite heavy resistance from the local council, and is selling T-shirts bearing the slogan “Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot”.

The Party for Freedom, led by Nick Folkes, has for months been planning a “memorial rally” at Cronulla on 12 December to mark 10 years since the race riots that enveloped the region and sparked a wave of violence across Sydney.

But it is facing a number of hurdles after two applications to New South Wales police for permits to hold the event were refused. The Sutherland shire mayor, Carmelo Pesce, told Guardian Australia the council was also considering applying to the supreme court for an injunction to stop the group if it failed to get approval.

The group also has yet to apply for a permit from the council to hold the event. The proposed has sparked concerns that it could inflame racial tensions.

The group is now touting an all-star cast of Australia’s far right, with four speakers listed on a flyer it has been distributing to local residents’ letter boxes.

Sergio Redegalli, who made the Ban the Burka mural in the suburb of Newtown, is listed as a speaker. Redegalli has also made glass plates for the event in the shape of Spartan shields overlaid with southern crosses.

“Limited edition” T-shirts designed by Redegalli with the slogan “Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot” can also be purchased from the Party for Freedom website for $49.95, available only in sizes large and above.

Shermon Burgess, who until recently was the head of the far-right group United Patriots Front before resigning over a video that emerged online mocking him, is also scheduled to speak. Kim Vuga, who was one of the participants in SBS’s show Go Back to Where you Came From and has now started her own political party, is also slated to attend.

Pesce said the group had applied to the police for permits first to hold the event at Wanda beach, and then at Cronulla Mall. Both were refused. A third permit at Don Lucas reserve is believed to be pending, but Pesce said he thought it had also been refused.

“The third one we haven’t been given approval because council don’t want to come to the party,” Folkes told Guardian Australia. “Like a hot potato, it’s like nobody wants to touch it. It’s hard to get answers from the council and the police.”

“Our intention is not to go down there and cause violence. We’ve got a good record dealing with police. We see it as an important time to mark the anniversary to stand up against all Muslim intimidation.”

Folkes said the shirts were just a “bit of Aussie larrikinism” to draw attention to the group’s purpose of marking the anniversary.

The group has still not applied separately to the council for the necessary permit to hold the event. Instead, the Party for Freedom has sought access to toilets.

“They’ve been told they need to put in a permit but they haven’t as yet,” Pesce said. “I’ve come back to my staff and told them they can’t apply for a permit for toilets before they apply for a permit to hold the event.”

“That applies for everyone. We’re not targeting that particular group. That’s just the thing they need to do.

At this point in time they don’t have permission to use those particular areas. If they still come down we will need to take some sort of action.”

“I’m still looking at legal action from the supreme court to stop them coming anyway.”

The Party for Freedom posted on its website: “Today we face a battle against a corrupt political oligarchy that wants to restrict freedom of speech, and deny patriotic Australians the right to mark the 10nth Cronulla Riots anniversary in Cronulla. Regardless of the opposition from the political establishment, we will be gathering in Cronulla on 12 December 2015 to celebrate the 10-year anniversary.”

“The Sutherland shire council has contacted its legal team seeking an injunction against Party for Freedom in the hope of restricting freedom of speech. We will be going to court to fight the injunction in December.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...niversary-rally

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Awesome! posted:

i clicked on that because i wanted to know who was staring at me. i do not know anything about australia other than the drop bears though so i will see myself out. have a nice day

sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Folkes said the shirts were just a “bit of Aussie larrikinism” to draw attention to the group’s purpose of marking the anniversary.
Maybe I missed where it was clearly stated but what is their actual purpose for marking the anniversary?

• Locked thread